News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

most representative brauer design in dallas
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:56:29 PM »
I would've sent Jeff this question via PM but I can't figure out how to PM on a blackberry, so I'll post the question instead. What course in Dallas is most representative of Jeff's designs? (I'm assuming there's more than one here -- if that's not the case, my apologies.)

John_Conley

Re: most representative brauer design in dallas
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:25:44 PM »
I've done the Tour d'Brauer.  Cowboys gets the most attention, but you'll enjoy Tangle Ridge and Indian Creek just as much.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
thanks john

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:19:29 AM »
If you get down south of Houston, the Wilderness is a lot of fun.  Unfortunately it's the only Brauer I've played.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:10:16 AM »
Carl,

What John said, basically, but what part of town will you be in?  I have a bakers dozen of courses around here.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 09:57:40 AM »
Jeff:
I'm downtown and may have this afternoon free.  Have my clubs with me b/c I'm playing tomorrow at Dallas Nat'l.  Also have a car -- where should I go if I can sneak away? 

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 10:14:54 AM »
Carl,

Then you are about equidistant from all of them, from 24-26 miles.  My gut says head south to Tangleridge.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
I'm a Ridgeview Ranch fan.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 11:14:48 AM »

Indian Creek was a blast.  I also enjoyed The Bridges, but I here that is mostly a Fred Couples course.  ;)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
Craig,

Technically, its listed as a Brauer design with Fred consulting.  But, I never met the man.

John_Conley

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:45:43 AM »
Jeff, if you never spent time with him to help him consult, should you really receive any credit? 

I guess the obvious question is, "will Fred Couples' design business take off now that he's dominating the senior circuit?"  Honestly, how does he find the time!?

Greg Clark

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »
Carl,

Cowboys is the best by a pretty good margin IMO, however it is also by far the most expensive course in the area.  If that isn't an issue, you should go play there.  By doing so you will have played the top private and public course, in my view, in the Dallas area.  Otherwise I would agree with the Tangleridge recommendation.  I like it better than Indian Creek and Ridgeview Ranch (although both of those are good courses themselves), and The Bridges (which I like quite a bit) is too far a drive from downtown.

As for other options, I'm a fan of Texas Star in Euless (not too far from the airport), a very nice Keith Foster effort that along with Cowboys, The Tribute and Tierra Verde is at the top of public courses in the area, and a nice value to boot.  In the downtown area you have 2 interesting municipal choices.  Tennison Park, one of Trevino's early stomping grounds, is one.  The Highlands course there was renovated by D.A. Weibring and is unusual for Dallas in that the terrain is fairly hilly (Dallas National is as well).  The second is Cedar Crest, an original Tillinghast design that also was recently significantly renovated by Weibring.  It hosted the 1927 PGA championship.  Both of these courses are interesting and fun to play, but come with some of the issues common to muni's.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:11:33 PM by Greg_Clark »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 02:22:06 PM »
John,

Its not too hard for Freddie to design all those "Signature" courses when all they are referring to is a signature on a check and a photo op. The guy has worked with more real architects than any other pro.

I kid Jeff, because when you drive up to The Bridges, which is a very cool course, all you see is these huge pictures of Fred Couples and all the staff is wearing white uniforms with Couples across the back, when its all probable that Freddie couldn't find the course.

Pretty impressive list of architects that helped Freddie: Pete Dye, Bob Cupp, Gene Bates, Curley/Schmidt, Brauer, Love Golf Design, JMP, etc.

Craig

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:41:14 PM by Craig Edgmand »

John_Conley

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »
Craig, true story here.

I get to Dallas frequently for work and sometimes arrive early to play golf with Jeff.  One visit about two years ago he even worked it out so we could go see this course in question pre-opening.  (We ended up not doing it...I think Jeff got called away on important business.)

Curious, I looked the course up on the development's website.  Couples, Couples, Couples...and no mention of our friend Jeff.  When I asked Jeff, he relayed the story about how he did all the work and never met Boom Boom.

Not more than a month later I went to play somewhere else.  When I inquired about the course I was told, with great pride, that, "it's a Fred Couples design."

"I don't think so," was my reply.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 05:30:12 PM »
I'll have to play Indian Creek, but I loved Cowboys...great fun.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Carl,

Cowboys is the best by a pretty good margin IMO, however it is also by far the most expensive course in the area.  If that isn't an issue, you should go play there.  By doing so you will have played the top private and public course, in my view, in the Dallas area.  Otherwise I would agree with the Tangleridge recommendation.  I like it better than Indian Creek and Ridgeview Ranch (although both of those are good courses themselves), and The Bridges (which I like quite a bit) is too far a drive from downtown.

As for other options, I'm a fan of Texas Star in Euless (not too far from the airport), a very nice Keith Foster effort that along with Cowboys, The Tribute and Tierra Verde is at the top of public courses in the area, and a nice value to boot.  In the downtown area you have 2 interesting municipal choices.  Tennison Park, one of Trevino's early stomping grounds, is one.  The Highlands course there was renovated by D.A. Weibring and is unusual for Dallas in that the terrain is fairly hilly (Dallas National is as well).  The second is Cedar Crest, an original Tillinghast design that also was recently significantly renovated by Weibring.  It hosted the 1927 PGA championship.  Both of these courses are interesting and fun to play, but come with some of the issues common to muni's.

About 3 years ago I am leaving Cedar Crest at dusk, I have my windows down and a women comes running up to my car. She asked me if I needed a date.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 06:05:03 PM »
Carl,

About 3 years ago I am leaving Cedar Crest at dusk, I have my windows down and a women comes running up to my car. She asked me if I needed a date.

You're a Texan, what did she look like?   ;D

Sam Morrow

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 06:13:53 PM »
Carl,

You're a Texan, what did she look like?   ;D

She was well worn, I would liken her to an old bowling shoe.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back