News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Last week I visited the Players Club and met up with Adrian Stiff co-owner, golfer, greenkeeper, golf course designer, businessman and boxing ringmaster extraordinaire!, the list is endless! - to discuss GCA in general and also a tour of the Players Club Cossington course and a sneak preview of the new Stranahan course – Adi’s new project – which is planned to open in April 2010. Again thanks Adi for a wonderful tour of the Player’s complex!.

The new Stranahan course is built on 50 acres of land plus some land from the existing Cossington course – I have added some photos – not enough as I was too busy listening to Adi’s views and Ideas of the course.  I have suggested that a small band of members of GCA will visit the course  as soon as it opens.

It will be around 5500 yards but there are plans to try and acquire further land to build 2 or 3 new holes to increase the course’s length in the future.

Hole 1 – Short Par 3 from the existing championship tees of the current 1st hole on Cossington course.

Hole 1 view from proposed tee

Hole 1  side view

Hole 2 – Short par 4 Painswick like hole which will cross over the 17 hole (Old 2nd hole on Cossington course

Hole 2 view from proposed tee – new green is obscured by stand alone tree

Hole 2 a closer view of green from tee

Hole 3 – uphill medium par 4 with rumpled fairways created out of landfill giving the new part of the course an undulating linksy feel

Hole 3 view from tee

Hole 3 view to front of green

Hole 4 – short downhill par 5

Hole 4 view from tee – green is left of the trees in background – Hole 14 is on the right whose green is centre of the trees in the background – the flag is just visible

Hole 4 closer view to green  with newly planted trees in the background an attempt to shield the view of the 16th green on the Cossington course

Hole 5 – dogleg right par 4 whose green was influenced by the first green at Carnoustie.

Hole 6 – short par 3 with a large undulating green reminiscent of CBM/Raynor Short Holes.

Hole 7 – short par 5 with tiny green.

Hole 8 – short par 4 just over 255 yards with a tight fairway  a promising and exciting short par 4.

Hole 9 – medium par 4 with hedge all the way down the left hand side.

Hole 10 – medium par 4 with a large green with the back right area of the green undulating for additional pin positions of difficulty.

Hole 11 – short par 3 with small water hazard or marshy area at front.

Hole 12 – Adrian’s version of the Sea Headrig hole at Prestwick – this could be the best hole on the course or the whole complex!.

Hole 13 – Long par 4 slight dogleg right

Hole 13 view from rear of the green.

Hole 14 – medium par 4 parallel to Hole 4.

Hole 15 – tree lined short medium par 3.

Hole 16 – medium par 3.

Hole 17 – Old 2nd hole on Cossington course – being split into 2 different greens rather than a boomerang green there is a dip in the middle I suggested that could be a large green with a dip like the 16th green at North Berwick.

Hole 18 – medium par 3 – the current water hazard is planned to be filled in to make the hole easier for the average player

Hole 18 rear view of green – split level sideways – like the 16th green at the Belfry Brabazon

Having toured the 2 courses at the Players Club – I would play the Cossington (over 7000 yards from the back tees) in competition but would rather play on the Stranahan most of the time as its will be more fun and quirky to play on – I look forward to the course being open for play and future improvements to it by Adi. The only concern for the Stranahan course is that the tees and greens are very close together – its tight but should be ok if common sense prevails. I have seen other courses where it is very tight in the areas between greens and tees as well as crossovers that work well.

I admit that i am not a fan of opening par 3 hole or even a closing par 3 hole but it would be interesting to see how this will work here.

Well done Adi for the hard work, effort and the passion put into creating a very interesting golf course which has lots of future potential.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:06:35 PM by Ben Stephens »

Ben Stephens

Kevin Pallier

Re: SNEAK PREVIEW!: The Stranahan Course at the Players Club, Bristol
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:54 PM »
WOW !! - I wasn't aware that the club has come on that far since I left Bristol in 2005.

I remember playing the original course and felt that it was the best course in the region - in front of The Kendelshire (even considering little nuances). Glad to see it's taken off to where it is now obviously as a result of Adrian's hard work.

A quick question re: the "new" layout: the criss cross fairway on the 2nd and 17th looks dangerous ?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:53:50 AM »
I like the look of the first, no such thing as a gentle tease to start the round!
Cave Nil Vino

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:02:06 AM »
Kevin - initially I thought the criss cross fairway on the 2nd and 17th looked dangerous but you have a view from the 2nd tee to see if it is clear - Adi knew that it is a slight risk but it was the only way that the new holes can be reached. This is a short term solution until more land is acquired for 2 holes which will overcome this problem and the green would be retained for a new par 3 with the tee by the side of the 17th green. 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 09:14:28 AM »
Thanks Ben- The whole 18 holes of that new course is on about 75 acres, it was a shame that the bit to get out to the new land was so restrictive, hence the par 3 start and par 3 finish and the crossing holes of 2 & 17. Keeping the visibility from both tees to the landing areas will be the key to safety. I think on half of the holes the next tee melds into the previous green, but the tee is behind so you should get rolling balls rather than flyers..that aside there will be occasional strays.

It is the first time I have designed a course starting with a short hole and I agree its not ideal but its only tiny at 105 yards and only a dunch will really find the water, I am hoping players will complete this hole in 8 minutes!

Pictures usually dont show the slopes off and some of the greens on the Stranahan are quite quirky.

Kevin the original course 'the Codrington' is slightly changed with the 2nd and 3rd gone and the long par 8th is now 2 holes. After you play the 1st there is a short hole back into what was the old 3rd green. The 7000+ yarder can still be played though.

Thanks for posting Ben. Message me your email and i might have some more photos to post... I dont know how to!!

Adrian
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 09:54:36 PM »
Adrian

The "old" second was to a boomerang green from memory ? I liked that hole - pity to see it gone.

I was never a fan of your Island hole - but undertsand others may like it. Appreciate the need to break up the "old" 8th.

Could you have not taken the 2nd on the Stanahan as a dogleg around the corner to where the 18th is and adjust the routing from there ? ie: no need for the criss-cross ? As you said though - once you're able to secure more land the routing will change.

I wont be back over there for a few years but will be keen to stop in and have a look next time I'm in town. Good luck with the development.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »
Kevin- I should have added that the old 2nd is the new 17th on the Stranahan so its still there really, the old 3rd is the 18th but is now a short hole.
The original 18 holes can still be played for bigger events.
The routing was tricky since we only had 50 acres of new land and the intention was to add just another nine. The planners were very restrictive and would not let me remove a hedge this meant I could get 12 shorter holes on this area...they passed this, by splitting the old par 5 8th and moving what was the old 2 & 3 into the newer course, a couple of short holes in the woods and the crossing hole I litereally squeezed the 18 in. Whether or not its great to get an 18 on such a small site or a disaster will be proven over the next year or so. It is tight but I think its as safe as many courses. What it will offer is a second course which is much easier and relatively cheap golf, but as a course it will be fun. Next time you are this way let me know.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 07:51:03 AM »
Adrian

Geez the planners must be tough - it's farmland out that way is it not ?

You've certainly squeezed a lot into a small parcel of land. I'll be keen to see the finished photos.

What's your membership base like ? I presume you'd be competing with places like The Bristol Club and Kendelshire ?

Has there been any new golf developments in/around Bristol besides yours in the last 5 years ?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
Kevin the planners were super tough, although a lot depends which section you get, so its down to a lottery. The new Stranagan occupys mainly the land that was directly infront the entrance to the course, it was 4 pretty flat fields that we recontoured with inert landfill which funded the building of the course totally, so it cost zero. On top of that the landfillmaterial allows us to make a more interesting landscape so its pretty much a win win situation.
We have about 1250 members. I would like to get this up to 2000 with the two courses. We have a lot of £100 members (they pay £20 per round thereafter). The Kendleshire is nice course, Castle Coombe, Cumberwell as well. Woodlands is 36 holes now and great value. We added another 9 to Cumberwell a couple of years back so thats 36 now too.
I think if you have a 36 hole complex you can really deliver great value to the customer, the second 18 (in the UK) costs only a fraction to run.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 08:41:15 AM »
Adrian

Conrgratulations on the membership drive.

Is Kendleshire still 27 ?

Where are Woodlands and Cumberwell in relation to you ?

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2009, 09:10:07 AM »
Kevin - Kendleshire is still 27, I did the first 18 and Peter McEvoy did the new nine.
Woodlands is probably 8-10 miles away north/west. It borders the M4/M5 intersection, great value course at £14 midweek.
Cumberwell is on the outskirts of Bath, nr Bradford on Avon, its 20 minutes from us.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »

I have suggested that a small band of members of GCA will visit the course  as soon as it opens.

Thanks for this Ben and congratualtions Adrian.  I would love to see your work and have the oportunity to hear your thougts on it, so if it could be a weekend next spring, I'm in.

PS Ive been trying to see all the pictures since yesterday morning, but on two different computers only the first 4 holes load.  I guess I' m the only one and it's somethig to do with the speed that Demon is currently providing?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ben Stephens

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 11:38:42 AM »
Tony,

I only took pics of the 1st 4 holes and the 18th - I was too busy talking to Adi about the design of the course and GCA that I forgot to take more images time flies too fast! and it was a great tour!. Im sure Adi will take more images for us all to see.

Ben

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »
Tony,

I only took pics of the 1st 4 holes and the 18th - I was too busy talking to Adi about the design of the course and GCA that I forgot to take more images time flies too fast! and it was a great tour!. Im sure Adi will take more images for us all to see.

Ben

Doh

Ben Stephens

Dear GCA

Just received images from our lead designer in the South West of his latest creation - Stranahan Course at the Players Club

View from tee on short par 4 2nd 'Painswick' hole

View to front of green on par 4 2nd 'Painswick' hole - see the small levelled pin location at the front

View from 3rd tee

Closer view of 3rd fairway

Front view of 3rd green

View from 4th tee

View of to green from 12th fairway – Adis Headrig hole!

View of 14th green from fairway

Rear view of 18th green

Cheers
Ben
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 04:30:05 PM by Ben Stephens »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 06:36:46 PM »
At last thanks Adrian and Ben.

I knew that white stuff was good for someting, the green contours llok most aluring, hard to get that in Photo's.

I'm hoping to get to the West country in late March and will try and make some time on the way back, I'd lov eto meet up with you.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 05:06:58 AM »
Yes, I have been meaning to make my way down to The Players Club and actually was going to when that freak monsoon storm hit a few years ago - the motorway was shut!  I like the look of new course.  Adrian, when does it open? 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 05:33:05 AM »
Ahhhh I do miss the sound of "crunch" with the frost and the sprigs on a nippy winters morn  ;D

Thnaks for the snaps - I look forward to seeing more photos when you have them

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »
Thanks Ben for uploading those. Sean there is a 12 hole loop that we will open in early April, I have a bit of seeding to do infront of 2 par 3 greens and 1 tee not finished so probably June 1st for the full 18 holes...as you know your welcome.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back