News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Day

Re: A Hero..
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2010, 09:57:52 PM »
Matt Day,
There are exceptions to every rule, like the aforementioned Charlie Sifford, or Jackie Robinson, and even a whole team like the Springboks , or the Jewish athletes (nine won medals) who went to the 1936 Nazilympics.

Jim
Agreed,  I was thinking more of the modern athletes

PThomas

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 09:03:13 AM »
you want a hero in sports?  i give you Ms. Rochette, the figure skater from Canada....a great perfomance  by itself, but only a few days after her mom passed away unexpectedly?  one of the greatest Olympic perfomances ever by anyone
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 09:10:23 AM »
I too have a real problem with calling any atheletes "heroes", even if they do perform under intense conditions like the canadian skater.  Inspiring?  Sure.  Gritty?  Yeah.  Epic?  Maybe.  But heroic?  Nah.

If we're going to find anyone even remotely resembling a hero in sports, the only one I can think of is Moonlight Graham when he stepped off the field to save Ray Kinsella's daugher!!   ;D

JMorgan

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2010, 09:35:44 AM »
 For heroes, courage is not scripted. 

Richard Choi

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
I am sorry, but I am going to have to disagree as well.

I mean, it is an inspiring and compelling story and all, but if I come to work after my parents pass away, should I be considered a hero? It also does not help that Nigai was far superior in her program and Rochette got some very "generous" marks with all the mistakes in her program.

As I have stated before, anyone doing what they were going to do no matter what the surrounding circumstance is really not a hero. More dramatic? Yes. Heroic? No.

If you are just going by the pressure, then what Kim Yu Na did was FAR more impressive. The expectation from Korea on Kim was overwhelming (it really was out of control), which could have crushed any lesser skater.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:40:32 PM by Richard Choi »

jonathan_becker

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »
Richard,

Define "Hero" in your terms for us.

Bill Rocco

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 06:34:12 PM »
Using Bob definition of Hero (c : a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities d : one that shows great courage) I think a good choice for hero IN GOLF  would be Bobby Jones, although his temper was an issue early in his career he turned out to be a great ambassador of the game and golf was better for having him in the sport.

Pat Burke

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
Noun, 1. hero - a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and dressing)

Richard Choi

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 06:58:24 PM »
Jonathan, my definition of a hero is someone who achieves something extraordinary that involves a great deal of self sacrifice - someone who is willing to sacrifice their own welfare for the greater good.

Otherwise, practically anyone who achieves anything can be considered a hero and that kind of just cheapens it for everyone.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 07:21:27 PM »
Richard,

That's a pretty good definition.  I was just curious.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 07:06:48 AM »
If "Tiger is an American Hero," then Tim Finchem is Mother Theresa!!

What a jackass....hope the PGA Tour learns one day what kind of fool they have at the helm.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back