News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

The Pines Golf Club at Marana, Tucson, AZ
« on: December 03, 2009, 10:52:05 AM »
A friend of mine is moving to a house on this course in Feb 2010. Apparently the course has been redone fairly recently. Has anbody played here?

http://www.playthepines.com/golf/proto/playthepines/index.htm
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jason Topp

Re: The Pines Golf Club at Marana, Tucson, AZ
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
I played the original course quite a few times.  It was a relatively pedestrian layout that was in good condition at a reasonable price.   I have viewed but never played the course since its changes.   

When I lived in Tucson, I tended to play the muni courses or courses running specials (either through a cancer fund discount card or golfnow).   Most people that play public courses rotate to the best deal on any particular day.   Two others in the same area that are low cost are the Arthur Pack and Silverbell - neither is magic but both are enjoyable and very reasonably priced.  Arthur Pack conditioning varies wildly from year to year. 

Here was  a Tucson overview I gave in a thread from a few years ago  http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,23091.0/

Top Tier - views and golf - price no object:

AZ National
Gallery
Ventana Mountain
Stone Canyon (I have not played it)
Tucson Country Club - solid old Billy Bell design.
Ventana Canyon

Vistoso is a good tough, tight course but not on as dramatic of a setting as the others.  I find I feel worn out after playing there.

Interesting but not necessarily good:

Heritage Highlands - Arthur Hills, some goofy holes

Starr Pass - used to be beautiful, but I understand that housing has gone up all over the place.  Nonetheless an interesting design you will either love or hate.

Kino Springs - Red Lawrence design on the ranch of one of the movie cowboys.  Nothing real meritorious about the course but a great remote setting in the mountains where you feel a million miles away from civilization.

Tucson National - boring course but site of PGA Tour tounament

On a budget:

Randolph North - straightforward 60's style design

Fred Enke - Quirky city desert course.  I like it, but have played it 40 times.  It is a bit disorienting if you have not played it and play can be slow. 

Rio Rico - 50 miles South of Tucson, good front nine on a 60's style course discussed recently by me if you look up my last 50 posts.

Tom Yost

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »
Never played it.  You can see some of the holes passing by on I-10 on the way down to Tucson.

I'm at work so I don't have access to my database for details, but as I recall, it opened as Continental Links.  This from their website:

"In 2000, following a decision to abandon the sand and gravel quarry adjacent to the original golf course, the Town of Marana and the quarry/golf course owner agreed on a plan that would reclaim the quarry. By relocating 10 golf holes into the old quarry and reconfiguring 8 of the existing holes one of Tucson's most popular golf courses was transformed. Today the unique desert landscape is highlighted by dramatic elevation changes and the addition of thousands of trees."

The view from Google maps shows the abandoned holes in the middle of the course.  I expect that is or will be developed into homes.

Tom Yost

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:13:07 PM »
Actually, the course was originally called The Links at Continental Ranch.  My notes show Brian Huntley as the architect and it opened in 1997.  Gilmore-Graves did the remodel.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back