News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Re: Airport Golf
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 04:43:22 PM »
Metro Golf Course is very close to Oakland Intern. Airport. It is not a great course but a vey good links imitation and is less than five minutes from the terminals.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Yost

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 05:06:26 PM »
Can't say it's a good golf course, but...  close enough to the airport?

Jason McNamara

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »
OK, a few more US courses that are semi-frequently mentioned here:

Inwood, JFK
Columbia - Edgewater, PDX
Indian Canyon, GEG
Wakonda, DSM
The Quarry, SAT
Jeff Brauer's Cowboys, DFW

And spare a thought for The old Desert Inn (NLE), LAS

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 06:54:27 PM »
Easy - Butter Valley Golfport:  http://www.buttervalley.com/index.htm

Golf and an airport all in one nice package.   It's located south of Allentown, PA

mike_beene

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »
Greg,sewickley to my understanding.Alhegeny would be to old.we haven't had flight to many years.Think of the area where 1,10,11,14 and 17 run.That is the longer runway.The diagonal runway  goes out 3,4,5 and 6.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
Just played a fun, not so little course (7,000 yd), Oak Quarry, in Riverside, CA about 15 minutes from Ontario airport.  Built in and through an old quarry.  I think Schmidt-Curley did the design.  Very affordable and I am sure very popular with folks heading for the desert.  For us it was hop on plane in chilly SLC and a few hours later be playing golf in shorts and shirtsleeves on an interesting course.  Also a good way to break up the drive to Palm Springs.  I think it’s been mentioned here as an alternative to some in the desert.

Mark Molyneux

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2010, 08:57:23 AM »
Tom!

I saw your "Close enough to an airport?" post. That's a great shot! ... sort of reminiscent of Dye's Brickyard layout in Indy. I didn't notice a name for the course. Could you tell me where that place exists?

Richard Phinney

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2010, 12:03:19 PM »
"Royal" Woodbine in Toronto is frighteningly close to the runways of one of the world's busiest airports. As Toronto Life describes:

"If you can block out the 747s that feel as if they are landing on your head on every other shot, this tight course, which runs along both sides of Mimico Creek, is an enjoyable walk, with some interesting and well laid-out holes."

But I too would like to know where Tom's course inside the runways picture is from!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »
Green Valley Ranch in Denver, which I just mentioned in another thread, is very near to DIA (and there aren't many things you can say are near to that airport!).

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »
I'll give you a big clue,

Tom gave it away....its all in the name!!   ;D

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:10 AM »
In May we will be opening all 18 holes of 1757 Golf Club which is located about 4 miles (5 minutes) from Dulles. Ten holes and the driving range were opened May of 2009. David Heatwole (Formerly of Nicklaus Design) is the architect. The course was originally slated to be a private corporate club (Presidential GC) however the developer fell on hard times. The course is managed by Billy Casper Golf as daily fee. The club features a lighted driving range with 56 artificial turf stations and 60 grass tee stations as well as a fitting center and golf academy. Stop when in the area!

Jason Topp

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 09:19:58 AM »
Here is a terrible course with a grass runway that is on the edge of the course.  I played it often as a kid because my grandparents lived 3 blocks away.  Closest thing to old bermuda greens on a midwest course.

http://www.golf.com/golf/courses_travel/coursefinder/course/0,28290,1386760,00.html

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2010, 11:00:07 AM »
Card Sound Golf Club. This runway is right new to the 7th and 17th hole.

Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2010, 11:16:55 AM »
TPC Scottsdale is right across the street from the Scottsdale airport. It's not a major airport but it is very busy with private aircraft. The Stadium course is enough to the west that it's not noticed there, but the Desert/Champions course is directly under where all the planes come into land. Since most are small, private jets, though, it's more of an oddity than an annoyance--the planes don't make too much noise.

George Freeman

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2010, 11:28:33 AM »

Now for a bonus question: How many golf courses have landing strips ON THE PREMISES? Heliports don't count.

There is an airport in Bangkok that has a golf course with holes routed between the parallel runways!

This must be at the new airport??  Or is it a smaller charter/private airport?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
Castle Stuart/Inverness and how about Turnberry being actually built on an Airfield (not in use ::)) or is it the other way around  ;D

Tom Yost

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »

Now for a bonus question: How many golf courses have landing strips ON THE PREMISES? Heliports don't count.

There is an airport in Bangkok that has a golf course with holes routed between the parallel runways!

This must be at the new airport??  Or is it a smaller charter/private airport?

Research reveals that the Don Muang Airport (pictured in reply #52) is the "old" Bangkok airport but still in use for commuter, regional and military flights.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2010, 09:26:34 PM »
Rob:
What's the 1757 for?  Something from the French and Indian War?? 

Mike Jansen

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2010, 10:15:38 PM »
Will be playing Green Hills CC (MacKenzie design in Millbrae, CA) which is probably w/i 5 miles of SFO.... I hope its 'great', really looking forward to the round.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2010, 03:31:24 PM »
Quite a few golf courses on military airports were designed in Germany during the 1950s and 1960s by the RAF, US Air Force
and the Royal Canadian Air Force.

Here are some of my favourites - (from top to bottom): RAF Gütersloh - USAF Spangdahlem - Baden Hills Golf & Curling Club (formerly RCAF Air Base Söllingen)

Other airport golf courses can be found at Westerland (formerly RAF Sylt), Berlin-Gatow (formerly British Berlin GC Gatow), GC Wildenrath (RAF Wildenrath), West Rhine GC (RAF Bruggen), Woodlawn (USAF Ramstein)...all these course are next to the relevant airports and airfields as you can see from the pictures..
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Micah Woods

« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2010, 05:00:00 AM »
I put a couple photos of the aforementioned Kantarat GC at Bangkok's Don Muang airport on this site:

http://www.micahwoods.com/2009/10/an-unexpected-juxtaposition.html

I played there in 2006 when it was the international airport for Bangkok, and again last month when the takeoffs and landings were military and private aircraft and two budget airlines providing domestic service. The course is basic but fun. One definitely wants to hit it straight here.

Martin Toal

« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »
I put a couple photos of the aforementioned Kantarat GC at Bangkok's Don Muang airport on this site:

http://www.micahwoods.com/2009/10/an-unexpected-juxtaposition.html

I played there in 2006 when it was the international airport for Bangkok, and again last month when the takeoffs and landings were military and private aircraft and two budget airlines providing domestic service. The course is basic but fun. One definitely wants to hit it straight here.

I landed at this airport a few years ago and was amazed to see golfers with pull carts waiting for our plane to taxi past before crossing to their next hole.

I wonder if you can time your drive so that a 747 is giving it full thrust away from you? Should add a few yards to the shot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back