News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Charlotte CC is posted under Courses by Country
« on: May 31, 2011, 11:53:07 AM »
Like turning a large ship around, getting a course to head in the right direction is no small task. Just ask anyone who has ever served on a club board, especially a country club board where there are diverse, competing interests. Far too often, the unintended result is a watered down product that doesn't make any one group particularly happy. Hence, it is always a pleasure to profile a country club that got everything right during a major restoration. Charlotte Country Club is one such example.

A pair of key members did their homework and produced a never seen before aerial from the 1930s which revealed the fully realized design that Ross had spent an uncommon amount of time fashioning. The aerial proved just how far the course had devolved from a Ross design - and in North Carolina especially, Ross is still 'The Man.' Having established momentum to return to a course replete with Ross features only, the club interviewed several restoration architects before hiring Ron Prichard.

Despite being the epitome of the restoration movement Old Guard, Prichard's proposal was bold and included shifting - slightly and otherwise - seven green sites, generally back toward the property's edges. As these are classic Ross push-up greens, they could be moved as they weren't tied to any particular landform. Of course, the key was that the person doing the moving had the skill to then replicate them at their new position - and Prichard fit the bill.

Charlotte has hosted big events for over eighty years and with its new found length of  7,355 yards, it is well equipped to do so again. Mission accomplished in that regard but more importantly, the course became more fun for daily member play. Golf is a game and, the more interesting the challenges, the more interesting the game. The key word is 'interesting' as any architect can make a course harder but few can make it more interesting to the wide range of playing abilities found at every country club.

To do so, trees came down, fairway width was restored, Ross bunkers set on diagonals to the line of play were re-introduced by Prichard, and imaginative interior green contours of the sort built by Ross in the late 1920s were brought back. Hence, the course enjoys MORE short grass than before, giving MORE golfers the ability to maneuver around what became true hazards (bunker depth was recaptured and they now need to be avoided). For the tiger, the green contours lie at the heart of the challenge, which always sounds good to me as no one is precluded (a 15, 45, or 65 year old, male or female) from handling challenges dished out on greens. The narrower version of the course as existed after RTJ's work in the 1960s was less well suited to a range of playing talents as its underpinning was the requirement of high, accurate shots.

As you can see from the photo of the first hole below by member Tom Eppes, Charlotte once again feels like a Golden Age course. Played from the right set of tees, it is much more clever than brutish. What is not evident in the striking photo below - and what is in the photos that I took last fall  - is the club's commitment for true and firm conditions through the green. You'll note in the course profile photographs how the club didn't overseed for the winter. Green rye grass might look pretty to some but it also connotes the slow playing conditions which compromise Golden Age designs.The addition of Green Keeper John Szklinski from Southern Hills CC (you think Charlotte gets humid, try Tulsa!) into the mix was the last - and important - piece of the puzzle that will help Charlotte reach its full potential.

Have a read as to how Charlotte carried off its transformation in a relatively short period of time.  It was good enough to win Golf Digest's 2009 remodel of the year award, edging past California Golf Club of San Francisco, which is says quite a bit! Importantly, it serves as an inspiring 'how to' from which many country clubs, especially those with parkland course, might learn.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:51:06 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Ed Oden

Re: Charlotte CC is posted under Courses by Country
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:49:58 PM »
Ran, thanks for another outstanding review.  As those who attended last year's Dixie Cup can attest, Charlotte is indeed a fantastic course and club.  My respect for the restoration increases each time I am fortunate enough to play there.  The greens alone are worth the price of admission.  Truly first rate all around.

Paul Carey

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »
Ran,  One of your best reviews.  Thanks. 

I think this comment is so important with today's conditioning:

"
Charlotte once again possesses a superb fine set of greens as shown here at the fourth. Improvements in all things (grasses, equipment, and maintenance practices) mean that green speeds of 12 on the stimp can be reached at Charlotte. The question posed to restorers like Prichard are how to create different areas on the green like Ross would have done if he worked with such green speeds. The 'rolling waves' captured in the middle of the fourth green is one imaginative answer.
"

PC

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:46:22 PM »
Thanks for the great review, Ran.  I was among the very fortunate dozen who played Charlotte at last year's Dixie Cup and it is truly an extraordinary place.  Your note about the size of the club amazed me, only 125 acres.  It does indeed feel much larger and is a true pastoral escape right in the heart of the city.  I also spent some time chatting with Nolan Mills at the dinner afterwards and his enthusiasm for the restoration was inspiring.  A great course, club, and a must play for those who get the chance.

My thanks also to Ed for helping set up the golf at Charlotte as a Dixie Cup "warm-up"!

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:47:10 AM »
Ran,

Excellent review and I particularly appreciate the feedback regarding the various design approaches depending on the type of soil.  I was not really aware of this.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

John Shimp

Re: Charlotte CC is posted under Courses by Country New
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:37:57 AM »
Ran,
The members at Charlotte who have read your work and discussed it with me seem to be excited and flattered.  You also provided some great history for everyone to reflect on.  

One thing that I think comes thru well is how fun the course has become to play as long as you are on the right set of tees.  The greens are a terrific challenge from approach to recovery to putting but the course is not a slog by any means.

Look forward to seeing you at CCC again hopefully in the near future.  Thanks for doing this writeup!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:56:15 PM by John Shimp »

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
I had forgotten about the stair-step bunkers on the 6th hole.  They also make an appearance on the 4th hole at Hendersonville CC.

Great write up, Ran.  I was fortunate enough to see the course during the Womens AM and again at the Dixie Cup.  What impresses me the most is the scale.  CCC is a special place.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
Scale. Yup, JC - the common demominator for me I think: that lovely balance of/relationship between the ideal golfing lines, the broader field of play, the non golfing spaces, and the surrounding vistas (air and sky and wind and even trees).  A touch of magic involved there in pulling it off.

Peter

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:53:35 AM »
CCC had previously been a top 100 course by Golf Digest many years ago.  The course already had pretty good bones so the renovation just made it shine again and brought it up to modern standards.  It took a course that was a 8, declined to a 6 and brought it back up to a 8.

The fact that it beat California Golf Club was a miracle and one of the reasons GD has eliminated that catagory.  To me, it's an amazing renovation that took a course that was a 4 to an 8.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:27:14 AM by Joel_Stewart »

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 05:59:01 PM »
Ran

Thank you for the very thoughtful review.  Like your pieces on Eastward Ho!, Essex Co, (the long lost) Myopia and Cal Club, this writeup made another course I knew next to nothing about make me sit up in awe.  The green complexes look to be extraordinary and some of the bunkering reminds me of a time now long passed by.  Cheers.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:54:10 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 09:32:35 PM »
Here's a few more photos I took at Dixie Cup:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46284.0.html

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 09:38:37 PM »
Ran,

Wonderful visual tour and insights to what, by all accounts, was a masterful effort by the membership, Ron, as well as the others on the team that participated and maintain it today. Having seen Ron's recent work firsthand at Aronimink and Mountain Ridge( thanks to Pat's great day hosting last year), he seems to really tease a lot out of what he alters, without anything looking foreign or out of place.
As a curious student of the land, I also enjoyed your observations on Donald's various methods of green creation depending on soil types. The superb utility those that designed in that era embraced should serve as some great guidelines for today's approach.

Thanks,

Kris 8)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:44:29 AM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
Doesn't watching the US Open from Congressional highlight the work accomplished at CCC?

Congressional's fairways are like bowling alleys with clear sailing time and time again down the middle. One fairway edge - and frequently both - appear linear for a 100 plus yards, fairway after fairway. For the golfer on his game, there is little visual discomfort. Bombers like Oosthuizen and MacIlroy should - and are - eating it up. Even the bunkers there tend to be shallow and easier for an ace to recovery from than the US Open rough.

Compare that to CCC. The first, second, fourth, fifth, seventh, etc. feature bunkers slashing into the fairways and/or fairways bending around them. Bomb it past the crest of the hill at the 2nd and deep, diagonal bunkers await, for instance. Other fairways like the tenth, sixteenth, and eighteenth bend and don't rely on bunkers to give them their strategic merit but straightaway holes like the fourteenth and fifteenth absolutely feed off their varied bunkering schemes. This is absent at Congressional.

Congressional's strength is its near ideal setting for a parkland course, featuring land that has beautiful pitch and roll and a few attractive water hazards scattered throughout. Yet, the same can be said for Charlotte. In fact, I don't know what Congressional's attributes are over Charlotte's? Certainly, I'll stack CCC's bunkers (both placement and depth) and green contours against those at Congressional all day, every day. Yes, Congressional has ~200 extra yards from the back markers but that distance applies to less than .01% of golfers, so you tell me how important that is  ???

Which design impresses you more?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:04:40 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 04:35:42 PM »
Ah... Charlotte.
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
They restored Charlotte Country Club to its original 7,335 yards?

I had no idea that Donald Ross was thinking so far into the future.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »
They restored Charlotte Country Club to its original 7,335 yards?

Whoever solves that one can tackle another pressing mystery: why were so many Civil War battles fought in national parks?

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:21 PM »
I played Charlotte CC on Tuesday, June 14th.  Every time I play it just gets prettier.  RP definitely took Donald Ross's philosophy to heart.  The fairways are wide... the bunkers are in play... and the fun truly begins once you get to the green.  The "quadrant theory" is really in play at Charlotte.  Each green is actually three or four separate "mini-greens."  The odds of two putting from one quadrant to another are very, very slim.

Again... what a wonderful place.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back