News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Best course built last 20 years?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
Sand Hills, hands down.

We all have our individual favorites, but when the widest standard of opinions is gathered it becomes obvious that Sand Hills is rightfully positioned at the forefront of all courses built within the last 20 years.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »
Haven't played Sand Hills, so couldn't say.

But here's another vote for Pacific Dunes!!!

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
I would have to go with Sand Hills. The routing is incredible, the greens are wonderful, it demonstrated why width is important for a quality course,  it is very walkable and it made the short par 4 an art form. 

Mr. Hurricane: I haven't been to Rock Creek CC but I have heard it is a very difficult walk - if the two are close then you have to give the nod to SH.

Ballyneal would be a close second to me because of the routing - it flows so naturally and you can jump around and never feel like you missed anything.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »
Jerry -

They are close, but the nod goes to Rock Creek. Sorry.
Mr Hurricane

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 04:58:39 PM »
Barona Creek
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »
Shadow Creek
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
I would have to go with Sand Hills. The routing is incredible, the greens are wonderful, it demonstrated why width is important for a quality course,  it is very walkable and it made the short par 4 an art form. 

Mr. Hurricane: I haven't been to Rock Creek CC but I have heard it is a very difficult walk - if the two are close then you have to give the nod to SH.

Ballyneal would be a close second to me because of the routing - it flows so naturally and you can jump around and never feel like you missed anything.

Jerry,

I've played Pacific, Rock Creek, and Ballyneal.  In my mind, they are all easily Doak 9s and are all superb golf courses.  How they stack up likely just comes down to personal preference.    Personally I rate them as:

1a)  Pacific Dunes
1b)  Ballyneal
1c)  Rock Creek

But once again, I wouldn't have any issue with any combination or ordering with those three as they are all excellent efforts.  I have Pac Dunes on the top probably due to my love of the ocean/coastline.

Tim Bert

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 06:14:57 PM »
Sand Hills, Ballyneal, Pacific Dunes, and Kingsley are the modern courses I have enjoyed the most. All are wonderful and I wouldn't argue very long with anyone that selected any of these four as the best after having played them all.

That being said, Pacific Dunes comes out of the pack on top for me.

Ash Towe

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 06:20:55 PM »
Sand Hills
Ballyneal
Pacific Dunes

There is nothing between these three which I have played.  You could come up with a sound argument for each one of them.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2010, 12:11:48 PM »
So there you have it,  Sand Hills.  ;D
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

michael damico

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2010, 01:26:13 PM »
I must digress and apologize for my comments earlier; they were quite disrespectful on second thought. Although just an opinion stemming from my experience in Mullen. I wouldn't comment in such a way if I did not experience it, or at the very least I would make it known that it was from speculation.

I did not mean for my comments to be taken as though it is a membership that doesn't take pride in itself - if anything, there is a whole heck of a lot. I was fortunate enough to just walk right in and get a tour simply because their employee was a dedicated worker who enjoyed what he did. He explained to me that he had been there since construction and (I'm paraphrasing here) has put his share of blood and sweat into what the course is today. I guess I mis-explained myself and should have used better judgement in my words.

Sorry to anyone I had offended on the board; my deepest apologies. I guess I was one of those internet geeks who feel it was my 'right' voicing my opinion on the world wide web - geez I hate those guys. Again, I am regretful of being 'that guy'.
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back