News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Request for Information/Pics re: Gulf Harbour NZ
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:46:51 AM »
Dear GCA,

A friend of mine is going to NZ early next year - he has plans to play Gulf Harbour, Kauri Cliffs, Jacks Point and Queenstown (Kelvin Heights). He was talking about Gulf Harbour being a RTJ II course and has spectacular cliff holes. It was the venue of the NZ Open and World Cup of Golf over the last 10 to 15 years.

I have searched GCA for pics of Gulf Harbour - could not find it.

I would appreciate your opinion, information and pictures of Gulf Harbour so that I can forward to my friend before he travels Down Under.

Cheers

Ben
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:58:52 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ash Towe

Re: Request for Information/Pics re: Gulf Harbour NZ
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »
Hi Ben,

Look under gulfharbourcountryclub.co.nz

If your friend is staying in Auckland, Titirangi is a better and closer option.  Gulf Harbour is not my cup of tea.  It should be in excellent condition as the couch grass will be flourishing.
When your friend is in Queenstown he should check out Arrowtown Golf Club.
Happy to help in any way.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 07:17:37 PM »
Ash,

Thanks for the info I was wondering why Gulf Harbour is not your cup of tea? I suspect it is the norm of Trent Jones II courses small raised greens designed for the aerial shots rather to allow for the wind. It was in Golf Digest's Top 100 courses outside America in 2005. Now it seems to have fallen out of the Top 100 as it has happened with many new courses. Couch grass is new to me is this grass used at other NZ courses and are they more expensive to maintain? Also I have noticed that there are more housing on the golf course.

Cheers

Ben 

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 07:18:59 PM »
Going to NZ and not playing Titirangi, Kidnappers or Paraparaumu Beach?

Ben Stephens

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
Scott,

My friend visits NZ every year mainly South Island - I have mentioned Kidnappers and Parapararamu before but I have not heard of Titirangi before.

I have played a course called Nopera Golf Club in Picton - one of the most stunning scenery for a golf course. Greens are surrounded by electric fences to prevent the local sheep damaging them

Cheers

Ben

Grant Saunders

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 05:34:03 AM »
I second Ash's comments re gulf harbour.

While nicely groomed, it lacks any real substance. Holes 16 and 17 run along the cliff and while very dramatic, 16 probably rates as one of the worst golf holes I have played.

Another option could be Mangawhai which is about 1 hr north of Auckland (Gulf Harbour is 20 mins) or has been suggested Titirangi.

As Ash has said, when in Queenstown play Arrowtown. I would personally pick this over Kelvin Heights but playing the both would be good.

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »
Ben,

Very briefly I think Gulf Harbour is a design more suited to be further inland.  It recieves a great deal of wind and the ground game is not an option on many holes.
The course is almost surrounded by intensive housing which was not on the original plan.
Grant's suggestion is good and there is also Waipu but I would still stick to Titirangi over everything else in the greater Auckland region.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back