News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Re: How long is your golf season - weather permitting?
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »
For us August is a time we tend to not play due to the extreme heat ,and our greens get soft.We get some cold weather but it is unpredictable so season really continues but you may miss a few rounds.Dallas is my location.

Michael Rossi

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 08:03:48 PM »
In Canada most places close for a couple months at least.

BC some courses stay open in the south west part of the province, generally most of the province opens April until late October, a lot has to do with elevation above sea level. Similar for Alberta, Saskatchewan. Manitoba most parts are open April - Mid October, Ontario in the southern parts open March/April and stay open until late November some places until December. Quebec and the Atlantic provinces generally don't get free of snow or frozen ground until April. Obviously the further north the shorter the season.

This year our course will close next weekend and will hope to open by late April. We are located in the south eastern part of the province at an elevation of 3500 feet above sea level.

I would suggest that the line to play year round is a diagonal northwest to southeast in North America. The further west the higher the line that can extend above the 49 parallel and on the east down to the 35th.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »
Hi Andrew,

It is indeed Belgrade Lakes. I played on Sunday and it was in amazing shape. A few changes have made a very good course even better. A new back tee on 3 allows you to hit driver. A new back tee on 7 has completely changed that hole, and trees were cleared behind the tee, opening up views across 9 to the clubhouse. They also cleared out trees to the right of 7, giving you more room to miss.

Belgrade might now be the greatest architecture ever, but as far as public courses go, I'd be hard pressed to pick another course I would rather play every day. It is such a relaxing environment, and there are a ton of cool holes. I have a house about 5 minutes away, just outside of the village on Great Pond, and I've been itching for an excuse to move up there full time. Maybe when my kids are older ...

Dan

Steve Lang

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 08:54:40 PM »
 8) uhhhh.. what is a golf season?   pretty much have continuous golf along the 30th parallel in SE TX
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jim Adkisson

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 09:06:21 PM »
Come November, I will pay up for a winter membership at a decent course called Three Rivers in Kelso, WA apx. 45 minutes north of Portland...this course was built on a delta of ash/sand 30 feet high dredged from the rivers after the Mount St. Helens eruption....this place drains like nothing else between Chambers Bay and Bandon...It's fun to play "summer rules" all year long in the rainy NW...of course, I also have reservations for 2 trips to Bandon and will play a few 36h days at Chambers on the reduced rates for cheapskates like me.

Sean Leary

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 09:43:16 PM »
Hey Dan,

Is that Belgrade Lakes I see in your pics? What a cool spot. I went to college up the road at Colby... I wished I played golf when I was in school because I would of spent all my free time at Belgrade Lakes. I made my first ever birdie there on a blind pitch on to the first hole. I thought I hit a good shot, then got up to the green and didn't see my ball. I then proceeded to look around the green for 5 minutes while the group behind me waited, until finally I decided to check the hole. A little embarrassing... I always make it a point to stop and play when I go back to visit.

As far as the golf season in Boston is concerned, I'm guessing most courses close up shop on first snow, although I hear some of the Cape courses stay open as long there is no snow cover.

Andy

Andrew,

Did you play Waterville CC when you were at Colby? Cool little course..

Andrew Jenkins

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
Sean,

Unfortunately, I didn't play golf in college (too busy with basketball, baseball, fly fishing and party...er studying). I have heard its nice and will try and get on if its still open in early november during the basketball alumni weekend.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 09:50:11 PM »
Here in the Toronto area private courses generally have a season from mid-April to early November - just under 7 months.  Public courses that are hungry for revenue will open a couple of weeks earlier and close a few weeks later - some will stay open as long as there isn't snow on the ground which is really dependent on the year.  Are we all sure that global warming is a bad thing ;D

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
Normally April 1 - November 1, but all of October has been a bust so far.

In the winter I:

1.  Travel 3-4 times a year to somewhere warm
2.  Work on my swing with lessons at an indoor facility
3.  Spend more time on this site

Phil McDade

« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
I have played golf in every month of the year in Wisconsin. There are a smattering of courses that stay open year-round; the hearty ones know where they are.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2009, 08:06:24 AM »
All year round golf here in Yorkshire, barring snow or continual rain.  With a clay base waterlogging is a problem.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
Jim Franklin,

The rain should subside by Saturday, but it will probably be low 50s at the best on those two days.  We will have rain until Friday at least though according to all the weather gurus here in town.

Send me a PM and give me an idea of your schedule and maybe we could meet while you're here.

Andrew Brown

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »
Donal,

Moss in Norway...same latitude as you roughly (59 degrees north)....same length of season.

I grew up on the coast of NSW Australia and moved here....now I have a "golf season"  >:(

Soon no golf for 6 months  >:( :( >:(

Luckily, I love my wife and daughters more than I love golf.... :-*

Cheers
Andrew Brown

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
Phil,

I've played golf in every month of the year in Minnesota, too, but the Jan. 3 round and the Feb. 25 round were pretty much miracles.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Chris Flamion

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 12:44:52 PM »
I played my first round this year in the middle of march and should play my last round sometime next week.  After my course closes there are 2 or 3 courses that will not go to temp greens that stay open year round and I will hop on weather permitting.  I am still surprised at the number of Chicago courses that stay open all year.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 01:05:53 PM »
Northern Utah typically has at least a 8-9 month season.  You can almost always find somewhere to play from March thru November.  December - Feburary is a crap shoot though.  3 years ago we had a mild winter and I got a lot of golf, albiet cold golf in. But the last two winters we've had more snow on the ground and I didn't even pick up a club for 2-3 months.

What is it like a few hours north in Boise?

JC,

I noticed you are thinking of moving there.  Here is what I found for averages.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USID0025

Looks like the extremes are a little more mild than here..not quite as hot in the summer, and not quite as cold in the winter.  Average snow is zero, but I bet they get a few storms with 1-2 inches every now and then but nothing like here where we can get feet of snow on the valley floor in the winter.  And its true, you would be much closer to Bandon!!!   ;D

Jim Franklin

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2009, 02:34:15 PM »
Chris -

I tried to send a PM but the system would not let me. I am meeting with a few clients tomorrow and then off to Fort Wayne to play Sycamore Hills Friday (I hope). I will be staying in Carmel Friday night and playing Crooked Stick Saturday before flying home Saturday afternoon. Not the best weekend it looks like, but better than it was two weeks ago.
Mr Hurricane

JC Jones

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
Northern Utah typically has at least a 8-9 month season.  You can almost always find somewhere to play from March thru November.  December - Feburary is a crap shoot though.  3 years ago we had a mild winter and I got a lot of golf, albiet cold golf in. But the last two winters we've had more snow on the ground and I didn't even pick up a club for 2-3 months.

What is it like a few hours north in Boise?

JC,

I noticed you are thinking of moving there.  Here is what I found for averages.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USID0025

Looks like the extremes are a little more mild than here..not quite as hot in the summer, and not quite as cold in the winter.  Average snow is zero, but I bet they get a few storms with 1-2 inches every now and then but nothing like here where we can get feet of snow on the valley floor in the winter.  And its true, you would be much closer to Bandon!!!   ;D

This is good news.  MUCH closer to Bandon, a few thousand miles closer.  Im not sure if I could get any further away from Bandon right now and still live in the continental US.

The other lingering question is whether there is any inspiring golf in Idaho.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Roger Wolfe

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:33 PM »
Charlotte, NC:  Tuesday, October 13th - 2:45 PM - 82 degrees and sunny
Charlotte, NC:  Wednesday, October 14th - 2:45 PM - 50 degrees and raining

crazy damn place... 

Jim Franklin

« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 08:53:04 AM »
Chris -

I am headed to Indy this afternoon. Email me at jim@franklin-group.com if you want to get together Friday afternoon/evening. I am staying in Carmel.

Jim
Mr Hurricane

Matt Bosela

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 11:14:29 AM »
Things are unpredictable here in Southern Ontario - I played twice this past weekend and it was about 5-10 degrees celsius on the first tee.  While not ideal, I'm okay with playing in the cold.

Generally, our club will stay open until the first major snowfall (usually late November) and then reopen in late March.  There are some public courses, however, that stay open year-round but I usually pack my clubs away for the four month period.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »
In the NYC metro area -- the season can start as early as St. Pat's Day but that's usually not likely -- more often the timing of the Masters generally starts the season in earnest.

How long can it go?

That depends -- this fall the weather has been kind (until today) and one can generally handle matters through the end of October.

Many of the pub facilities usually close by Halloween -- some may extend themselves as weather allows -- and others (more often the muni's of one type or another) will stay open short of snowfall / ice, etc, etc.

There are other options -- the Jersey Shore provides an alternate route and many Phila / NY/ NJ golfers will use that alternate -- the AC area being a popular location.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 01:10:14 PM »
Not fun (today in Elverson PA at noon):

Winds: NE 6
Visibility: 4.00 miles
Conditions:  Rain Fog/Mist
Air Temp: 39F
Dewpoint:   37F
Barometric Pressure: 29.96 in

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back