News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

Designers' Choice -- List in Golf Magazine
« on: October 15, 2009, 08:19:16 PM »
I finally got around to reading my most recent Golf Magazine -- with their Top 100 lists.  They included a section where the architects on their panel were asked to list their favorite course by a dead architect and a living architect (other than yourself).  I found the short list interesting (as were some of the specific selections).  Eight architects were listed, but several listed more than one course.

Dead
National (twice)
Old Course
Cypress Point (3 times)
Royal Melbourne
Crystal Downs
Machrihanish
Pinehurst No. 2 (twice)
Augusta National
Pine Valley (twice)

Living
Sand Hills (twice)
Kingsbarns
Harbour Town
Muirfield Village
Stadium Course at PGA West
Pacific Dunes (3 times)
TPC Sawgrass

Carl Nichols

Re: Designers' Choice -- List in Golf Magazine
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
Greg:
Who were the contributing architects?

Greg Holland

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »
The contributing architects were: Arthur Hills, Kyle Phillips, Bill Coore, Dana Fry, Tom Fazio, Jack Nicklaus, David McLay Kidd and Tom Doak. 

I looked on-line at their list of panelists, and only Fry, Kidd and Doak are on their panel of 100.

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:45:57 PM »
Didn't Jack list Harbourtown?  How big was his role in that course?

Bill_Yates

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »
Wow! I thought Pete Dye designed Harbour Town and the Stadium Course at PGA West, and Desmond Muirhead was invited by Mr. Nicklaus to design Muirfield Village, as Jack wanted the best architect of the day.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Greg Holland

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »
Didn't Jack list Harbourtown?  How big was his role in that course?

Yep, Jack listed HT, and noted his respect for Dye.  He also noted "I did have a little to do with HT, since I consulted on the project!"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:00:29 PM »
Yes, Jack listed Harbour Town as his favorite course by a living architect other than himself ... and then took partial credit for it.

I'm surprised to hear that only three of the architects listed are on the top 100 panel.  Back when I helped run the voting, Nicklaus and Fazio voted, and I swear that Art Hills was on there last time, too.  Bill Coore has always resisted invitations to participate, which I guess costs Pacific Dunes one vote, darn it.  Maybe I should stop voting for his courses until he agrees to participate!

Rob Rigg

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »
I remember getting a chuckle of out Jack's response - if you look through the list of which courses the architects picked as their favorites and cross-referenced those with the general feelings of the treehouse - you will not be surprised to find that the architects that tend to be most appreciated here, also listed courses designed by others that tend to be revered here.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back