News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Two That Got Away
« on: October 07, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
On each of my first two trips overseas for golf there was one course that I had an opportunity to see but was unable to schedule a round as a player. Both courses come to mind quite frequently and surprisingly it's the "lesser" of the two courses (by most estimations) to which my daydreams return again and again. No doubt the daydreaming is more intense now that Summer 2009 has passed without a trip to the UK.

The "greater" of these courses is Royal St. Georges. I walked the course several times during the Amateur Championship in 2006 and feel that I have good appreciation for how it play, at least for elite players in a stiff breeze. How it plays being, of course, quite difficult with the lost ball an ever present worry when driving the ball. I have every intention of playing there one of these summers but recalling my frustrations with hitting the ball wildly out of play last year at Royal Dornoch (especially the first two days) tempers my enthusiasm for tackling Sandwich unless/until I regain some degree of control over the direction my golf ball travels. The memory of seeing some of better amateur golfers you'll ever want to meet hitting provisionals off 4, 5, 6 or more tees and finishing the round with multiple stroke and distance penalties is a hard one to shake when bemoaning the state of my own game.

The course I truly, madly, deeply want to play is Ganton. In fact I must say after playing a few shots and walking its first several holes in 2007 it has spent the ensuing two years working its way to the top of my Most Desired Must Play list. I'm not sure in terms of stroke-play scoring Ganton with the wind up is any sort of pushover compared even to Sandwich. But at least as presented on the day I saw it, the challenge is a much friendlier one. Or at least less immediately intimidating. My memory is that on most shots you have a sense of ample room to hit the ball and/or a tolerable "bail out" direction which one can favor if in doubt. It seemed the sort of course that nibbles your scorecard to death by repeated challenging bunker shot, decent-looking shots that find a tough lie in the rough and in all honesty opportunity enough for a lost ball here or there to boot. And it seems to have somewhat more interesting greens than those at Sandwich (that characteristic being a huge plus in my book).

But I think what figures most prominently in my daydreams is the fairway bunkering. I can't recall a course where so many holes seem to present fairway bunkers that so often challenge my relatively short and uncertain tee balls with legitimate hazards while remaining in many case entirely surmountable with a (by my standards) quality driver shot. Of course I have no idea if this is also true of the seven or eight holes I did not see during my brief visit but in my imagination the entire course is ideal as a Tough But Fair Course given my own game's foibles.

I may be tempted into some other plan but I'm very much inclined at present to arrange my next visit to England around multiple rounds at Ganton in an attempt to really get to know the course in the way you can't really from just a walkaround or even a single game of golf. Maybe a couple of 36-hole days interspersed with side trips to Alwoodly and/or Seaton Carew or maybe some other course I have not yet experienced. Just fly in and out of Manchester and spend a week in Yorkshire. My one concern is that at the end of the trip I may feel shortchanged in some way by playing inland rather than on linksland within view of the sea. But Ganton (and for that matter Alwoodley) surely don't give up much besides sea views and breathing salt air to a golfer who enjoys firm and fast conditions and the odd spot of breeze to liven up the game.

Brad Tufts

Re: Two That Got Away
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »
The one that got away for me this year was the Donald Ross course at French Lick...hope to remedy next May.

I've been monsooned out at Ardglass and The Island in Ireland...and same for the back nine at RCD, so much so that I need another play...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jud_T

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:16:23 PM »
Excellent topic...I skipped Western Gailes a few years back in Scotland (36 fresh off the redeye seemed excessive at the time),  and I can't stop thinking or reading about it since....
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
Brent, they have cut down or burnt off a bunch of rough at St George's at the moment, in prep for the 2011 Open. Jump on a plane now and you can spray the ball on 5-6 drives with impunity!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 04:43:53 PM »
Brent, they have cut down or burnt off a bunch of rough at St George's at the moment, in prep for the 2011 Open. Jump on a plane now and you can spray the ball on 5-6 drives with impunity!

I lost two tee balls (of the nine I got to hit in foursomes) in that benign rough.  Neither of the drives were that bad.  At least for me.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:31:08 AM »
Brent
Ganton is great and you need to get yourself there!

It's too long since I played there last so if your plan comes to fruition I'd be happy to join you on one or more of your rounds there.

Alwoodley is about an hour from Ganton.  Whilst these are clearly the two best courses in Yorkshire both Fulford and Strensall are half the distance and worth a visit if in the area.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 04:29:58 AM »
Brent,

four years ago Giles Payne and I spent a couple of days at Ganton in the hottest part of a hot, very dry, summer.  We played 36 a day (and a few more on at least one day) and on the first evening were left to lock up by the staff.  Playing it in as firm and fast condition as it can ever have been was simply fantastic fun.  Ganton remains my favourite inland golf course.

Like Andrew, if you do make the trip I'd be delighted to join you for some or all of your visit to Ganton.

Mark
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Giles Payne

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:52:41 AM »
Ganton is a fantastic course and a very hospitable old fashioned club and the final three holes are a very strong finish. It is most certainly worth a visit would work well with Alwoodley. If there was going to be a small meet there I would also be really interested!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:31 AM »
"As for the course itself, Ganton is a beguiling study in bunkering, angles, and rhythm. It also is one of the best ways to experience in one place the work of several gifted architects.

"Its location should be praised rather than lamented, as this protects it from being overrun by the busing and caravaning hordes of box tickers and encourages the detailed, mutiround assay -- essential to appreciating a course whose essence is subtlety."

-- Excerpt of proposal to select Ganton as United Nations World Heritage Site, submitted by the Society for the Promotion of Ganton

Brent Hutto

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 09:53:13 AM »
Mark has a real gift for tracking down information on golf clubs and related items. Good quote!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back