News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: Doak article: Old Mac, potential project in FL?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:46:14 AM »
From the article:

"As I head toward the next tee, I'm once again struck by the notion that Doak has not so much created the hole as he has carefully edited Mother Nature's work. A similar thought had crossed my mind on a less obviously stunning hole, the inland par-4 seventh. With its voluptuous terrain, all dunes and hollows and ripples, the hole revealed more of itself with each passing step.

It's a feeling you don't get while whizzing past in a golf cart, or from most designers' work. Pacific Dunes (and, soon, Old Macdonald) owes its greatness not only to its stupendous setting but also to Doak -- his sense of when to leave well enough alone, his talent for making manmade landscapes appear found. Whether working as himself or in the guise of C.B. Macdonald, Doak's ability to produce thrilling golf holes in harmony with nature makes tapping into golf's spiritual side almost inevitable."
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 03:04:03 AM »
From the article:

"As I head toward the next tee, I'm once again struck by the notion that Doak has not so much created the hole as he has carefully edited Mother Nature's work. A similar thought had crossed my mind on a less obviously stunning hole, the inland par-4 seventh. With its voluptuous terrain, all dunes and hollows and ripples, the hole revealed more of itself with each passing step.

It's a feeling you don't get while whizzing past in a golf cart, or from most designers' work. Pacific Dunes (and, soon, Old Macdonald) owes its greatness not only to its stupendous setting but also to Doak -- his sense of when to leave well enough alone, his talent for making manmade landscapes appear found. Whether working as himself or in the guise of C.B. Macdonald, Doak's ability to produce thrilling golf holes in harmony with nature makes tapping into golf's spiritual side almost inevitable."

Good work David! I was going to quote that as well but figured it would generate an "O no, here we go again" response.

Very interesting that the writer picked up on that - and I agree that it is a combination of both. There is nothing even remotely forgettable about PD or OM. Even the biggest cart ball junkie in the world would be in awe of those courses while traveling on foot.

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 08:15:21 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see Jim Urbina's name mentioned anywhere.

JC Jones

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
Most importantly, congrats to Ash Towe for making an appearance.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Ash Towe

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 10:26:36 PM »
Mr Jones,
Thanks for that.  I met Evan when playing Bandon.  He was to interview Tom Doak the next day.  Evan was a fun guy to play with and also to share a few beers over.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:39:29 AM »
The big question out of this is, where in Florida?  If it is coastline, I can only think of the are just south of Daytona or north of Tampa.  Certainly not down here in Naples and I cant imagine there is anywhere on the southeastern side. 

I am puzzled.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »
JC:  I don't get coastal property EVERYWHERE I go.

And unfortunately, I haven't got this job yet, so I can't yet talk about it.  Maybe in a couple of months, if things go our way.

JC Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 06:58:22 PM »
JC:  I don't get coastal property EVERYWHERE I go.

And unfortunately, I haven't got this job yet, so I can't yet talk about it.  Maybe in a couple of months, if things go our way.

;D well, you should.

I am keeping my fingers crossed then.  With High Pointe closed I am limited in my Doak options during the summer and there certainly ain't no Doak here in Naples so something close would be nice.

Jud_T

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »
Here's hoping you get it Tom, it might make visiting my in-laws something to actually look forward to!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Lang

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 07:37:22 PM »
 8) I thought TD's next was going to be Mississippi Dunes..

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
Steve:

I wish I were building a golf course on that land!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back