News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Re: Combined Top 10: Engh & Strantz
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »
MPCC Shore
Lakota Canyon
Tobacco Road
Four Mile Ranch
Redlands Mesa
Snowmass
Pradera
Fossil Trace

Tot Hill

I leave a space b/c there is a dropoff in quality b/t FT, a good course, and THF, not a good course.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:16:27 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jay Flemma

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »
Good list, Brad.  Out of those, how many did you walk? 

Another person with Lakota high on the list:)
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Matt_Ward

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
Jay:

It would be interesting to see if any of the folks (save for Andy T and possibly Doug W) have played both Lakota and Four Mile Ranch.

I really like Lakota for all the comments many of its fans have mentioned. But, I also see the likes of Four Mile Ranch being even more noteworthy because of the design elements you see so neatly included and because of the fantastic range of green contours.

The interesting thing is that the bulk of Strantz courses are walkable -- many of the Engh layouts are best played via cart -- although Four Mile Ranch is very walkable and very affordable.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 05:33:47 PM »
And it's not that hard to get to...canon city is what, a half hour south of Col. Springs?  Harmony Club is another I need to see.  Matty...and veryone else, go see Creek Club.  There are great centerline bunkers on many holes, diagonal hazards on others, and good greens.  Those who hate the "bowl" effect won't like it because Jim did a lot of that heree, but I talked to ten or so members and they all love it because it's easier than the other Reynolds courses and looks completely different.

Creek club:

http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/course_review_the_creek_club_at_reynolds_plantation

***for some reason or other, the cybergolf picture guys forgot to fix the captions...the fossil pic is to show what the bunkers looked like before Jim took GCAer Cary L's advice and made them easier to get in and out of...***
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 05:37:03 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Brad Tufts

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 12:20:41 AM »
Edited above to include 4MR.

I think of all of those, I only walked MPCC-Shore and Tobacco Road.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 11:47:06 PM »
I have played Tobacco Road (in winter time) and True North this past summer. Head to Head, TR gets the nod.

BTW, I'll be playing Caledonia in the spring (is it even worth the $200 greens fee?).
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »
$200 is too much, but you should be able to get a twilight rate or package deal that's better than that, and then it would be well worth it.  Most people I know pay between $80 and $120.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back