News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Russell Lo

Firm and Fast and Fluffy Sand
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:12:20 PM »
On one of my regular courses they just replaced the bunker sand with really fluffy stuff. Usually the conditions of the course are pretty tight and firm so the bounce on my wedges is minimal. Now, with the different sand I'm finding that these disparate elements are creating  much more interesting options.

Does anyone know of courses that use this particular formula, firm and fast and fluffy sand to give the player a little more thought on their short game (as if I needed to think more).

Norbert P

Re: Firm and Fast and Fluffy Sand
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
A. On one of my regular courses they just replaced the bunker sand with really fluffy stuff.

B. Usually the conditions of the course are pretty tight and firm so the bounce on my wedges is minimal.

C. Now, with the different sand I'm finding that these disparate elements are creating  much more interesting options.

D. Does anyone know of courses that use this particular formula, firm and fast and fluffy sand to give the player a little more thought on their short game (as if I needed to think more).

A. Given time and depending on the sand grain shape and packing technique, it may settle and not be so fluffy.

B.    (edit:)  Do you feel like you'll need a bigger bounce on the sole of your wedge? Have different clubs for different courses?

C. More options or higher risk for navigation?

D. Fluff sand is not normally requested by anyone I know of or the USGA. It generally slows play and golf courses sell time; i.e., the faster you go the more they can profit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 03:37:04 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

David_Tepper

Re: Firm and Fast and Fluffy Sand
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 03:50:28 PM »
Russell -

I have encountered the conditions you describe, firm tight turf and very soft sand, on many links courses in GB&I. It does seem like you would want a low-bounce wedge for the former and a high-bounce wedge for the later. Obviously, you can alter the bounce on your wedge by opening or closing the face. The other option is to carry 2 wedges with different bounces.

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back