News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Quail Lodge closes Hotel
« on: September 10, 2009, 03:10:34 PM »
Quail Lodge has closed its hotel operation and fired two hunded employees. The Golf Course operation remains unchanged.

Bob

Kalen Braley

Re: Quail Lodge closes Hotel
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »
Quail Lodge has closed its hotel operation and fired two hunded employees. The Golf Course operation remains unchanged.

Bob

Bob,

Sorry to see such happen, but is surely another sign of the times.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:18:57 PM by Kalen Braley »

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »

henrye

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 04:22:12 PM »
Does this come as a surprise to those out in Carmel?  From the article it would appear the writing was on the wall.  The place has lost money for each of the last 8 years (and from an economic standpoint those must have been strong years).

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »
Has the facility adjusted their prices for golf recently? I seem to remember that it is/was quite pricey to play out there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 04:34:07 PM »
I was talking to a guy once in a SoCal restaurant and he said he used to live there.  I said why don't you still live there?  And he said because I got a divorce and the wife kept ownership of the place.

Later someone told me Doris Day owned if for a time.

It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 12:50:25 AM »
I stayed there last year and it was ok. It was a good value at $150ish. I am sorry to see this as well.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
I stayed there last year and it was ok. It was a good value at $150ish. I am sorry to see this as well.

It must be a great time to be a Democrat when $150ish is considered to be "a good value"!

Will the course survive on a stand-alone basis?  At what price point?

Any idea what the occupancy at the Lodge and the tee sheet at PBGL look like?  Perhaps they'll have a coupon day and I can return to maybe change my mind.  As I recall, the Best Western in Carmel had doubles for under $100.  That's more in my definition of "good value". 

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 11:41:20 PM »
Lou, I think $150 is a great value in the rarified air of Carmel. They were spacious rooms on a lake or the course. It is always a great time to be a Dem. I must confess I resigned as local chairman to free time for other public service. So Lou I am not a D worthy of note, just a Dad, golfer and Tiger.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:46:24 PM »
I must confess I resigned as local chairman to free time for other public service. So Lou I am not a D worthy of note, just a Dad, golfer and Tiger.

Not bad things to be, dad, golfer, and Tiger.  I hope you guys have a good season (i.e. the football team).

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:34:36 AM »
Thanks Lou and sorry to miss you on the course, that dare I say, the real James Bond made more famous in Gold Finger.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 12:56:33 AM »

Later someone told me Doris Day owned if for a time.

Lynn,

Not true. Her property is above the 17th green and 18th tee but she was not an owner.

Bob

Emmy

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 02:47:09 AM »
Bob:

I too, am sorry to hear this news about Quail Lodge.

Remember the good ole days at QL when Mr. Ed Haber was still around?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:00:36 PM »
Bob,
Glad I'm not booked there for next year's US Open. I took your recommendation in CV.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back