News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

One Armed Golfers
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »
No more complaining about how golf is "unfair" or the greens are "too bumpy"

www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2009/09/01/a1a_stoda_golf_0902.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Chris Buie

Re: One Armed Golfers
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:49:06 PM »
When I was a kid growing up playing Southern Pines CC there was a one armed golfer named Borelli.  He never complained or had a "put upon" air about him.  Really, he could not have been more congenial.  Like Bobby Jones, he seemed to have accepted an unfortunate turn of fate with a grace that is far above anything I could muster on my best day.
I of course, saw a lot of other characteristics in the adults I was around that weren't so lofty.  But all-in-all I'd be hard pressed to recommend a better environment for a kid to grow up in. 
It is no suprise to me when a kid that grows up in a sordid environment becomes a sordid character.  I'm not condoning it by any means, but would any of us turn out that much better under those circumstances?  Possibly, but not certainly.

Sean Remington (SBR)

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 06:21:01 AM »

Steve Okula

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
Not one-armed, but last year we had a one-legged gentleman play in a competition here for low handicappers. I now forget his name, but he was a class act. A scratch player, no cart, did 18 holes each day of the event on crutches, with out even a caddy. He put his crutches down and balanced on one foot to swing, shooting in the seventies both days on a course that was set up tough. He also balanced on one foot to rake his foot prints in the bunkers, which gladdened my geenkeeper's heart.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Cristian

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 12:29:36 PM »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
A past President of the Green Bay Packers, Judge Parrins, was a one armed golfer.  I observed him play a few times at a little sporty course outside of Green Bay, called Northbrook.  He played from the ladies tees and could occasionally break 90 as I understand it.  He often played in a charity tournament there.

I saw a fellow a few fairways over at Wild Horse one year, and he was one armed gent with a very impressive and powerful swing.  He was gone before I finished.  I'd have liked to shake his other hand.

But as for that fellow in the story, who plays from regular tees, is a 7.4 handi, and hits driver 270, well that just isn't fair to us normal hacks!   ;) ::) ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 02:28:26 PM »
I'd have liked to shake his other hand.

There's nothing funny about this statement...

OK. I lied.

;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Chris Cupit

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »
At my course we have a gentleman who is about a 12 handicap golfer with just one leg.  He gets to his ball with the aid of crutches and balances on just his one good leg.  Hits it about 200 yards in the air--strong as a bull.   He's amazing.  Although, if it's real windy he has a tough time ;)

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
 Saw a feller stripin' 'em at Dunaverty. It was mesmerizing.

Played with an elder guy that had one arm in a sling and me and my buddy were amazed. He kicked our ass and we still talk about it.

I know a guy that set the record at Muirfield playing one-armed after elbow surgery.  I can't remember his score, though. 

Slainte' to all for being battlers !

(Dammit McBride, you got me figgered, too. I'm just makin' a reason to have a drink.)
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 12:23:47 PM »
I played many rounds with Herm Shattenberg at Tualatin CC. He was severely wounded in Vietnam - lost his left arm, part of right hand, both legs injured. He had troubles physically getting into and out of bunkers, but really enjoyed the game and kept a single digit handicap.

Neil Regan

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »

Slag,

When was that ? It might have been my group.

Neil

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Damon Groves

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 01:38:27 AM »
I played behind a guy during a round about a year ago in Palm Springs. He had a single person cart that the seat swung around for him and his bag was mounted on the front. I would guess he shot near 80. He was pretty damn good. Hard to imagine how hard it is to play with no leverage from you legs. My group was very impressed.

Eric Franzen

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 07:56:32 AM »
Good stuff, gents.

Reminds me of this story about Jim Langley, former head pro at Cypress Point.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-insider/change-at-cypress-point-18066/

Dan Boerger

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:47:39 AM »
One of my most vivid golf memories was when I was 8 years old and my father took me to a driving range in New Hartford, NY, owned by the famed Furgol family (Ed Furgol won the 1954 US Open).  Anyway, at this range there was a one armed golfer who striped drive after drive down the center. My jaw was open watching this. To this day I'm not sure if it was Ed himself (but I don't think he ever lost his arm) or a friend of the family (this guy, became a fixture at the range).
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Michael Blake

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 10:01:29 AM »
A good friend of my father-in-law is a one-armed golfer.  His right hand was electrocuted when he was a teen and it needed to be amputated.  He is a retired Bucks County, PA principal and I play with him twice a year in different outings.

He is a great guy and lots of fun to play with.  And watching him swing with only his left arm you get a good sense of what it looks like to really  swing down on the ball.  He has a great descending blow with his irons which produce Sergio-type divots.  Though he has the same descending blow with his driver which doesn't produce such a great shot.  I look forward to being the fourth in Ross' foursome every year.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »

Played with an elder guy that had one arm in a sling and me and my buddy were amazed. He kicked our ass and we still talk about it.

I know a guy that set the record at Muirfield playing one-armed after elbow surgery.  I can't remember his score, though. 

Slainte' to all for being battlers !

(Dammit McBride, you got me figgered, too. I'm just makin' a reason to have a drink.)
;D ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back