News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Boon

Re: The World Golf Atlas (New Version) Bigger-Better-Beautiful!
« Reply #175 on: December 28, 2008, 07:50:07 PM »
Mark,

Those I listed where in an old edition and all jumped out at me pretty quickly. Was the artwork prior to this revamp quite old?

The new course artwork is miles better as I haven't spotted any errors yet...

The hard work you guys have put in for this is amazing, many, many thanks!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2008, 05:33:28 AM »
James, As I said earlier the old artwork was a mishmash of many different revamps. Essentially the bulk of it was the 1976 artwork which couldn't be updated because the originals were lost. Other artworks were done as courses came and went and were in a host of different styles. The artwork was one of the principal drivers for a complete restart for the new book.

John Burzynski

« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2008, 08:42:23 AM »
If you look hard enough, you can find errors in any book.   

Overall, it is well worth the money to invest in this book, it is a lifesaver during the winter months ahead, as well as being a valuable resource.

James Boon

« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2008, 06:46:38 AM »
Mark and John,

Sorry if my post came across as being a bit too pedantic? It was meant in the light hearted style of Mark's post that I quoted. Hope no offence has been taken. I must admit that I really must be careful when pointing out errors as when I read back through some of my own work, or posts on here I find errors there as well!  :o

As I said, this latest edition is a fantastic book and just what is needed on a foggy frosty day such as today!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell, Brora, Parkstone, Cavendish, Hallamshire, Sandmoor, Moortown, Elie, Crail, St Andrews (Himalayas & Eden), Chantilly, M, Hardelot Les Pins

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Buck Wolter

« Reply #179 on: January 01, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
Here's a nice preview for those on the fence -- I think this is the current version though the cover looks nothing like mine.

Removed link
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:01:28 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »
BUCK, NO THAT IS THE PREVIOUS EDITION AND IT IS RIDDLED WITH MISTAKES.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2009, 02:01:03 PM »
BUCK, NO THAT IS THE PREVIOUS EDITION AND IT IS RIDDLED WITH MISTAKES.
Sorry Mark - I just checked the new one and realized the error, I'll remove the link.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 02:13:08 PM by Buck Wolter »
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2009, 04:12:40 AM »
As I had hoped Santa delivered my copy for Christmas ;D

Still working my way through it but many congratulations to all concerned.  It certainly is bigger and better!!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

CJ Carder

« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »
Just started reading my copy last night.  I must say, I flew through the first 50 or 60 pages and found it to be very well organized and well written.  I really look forward to reading some of the individual course writeups and what makes a lot of them so special.  For example, just seeing how unique Shinnecock is with the mini-triangle routing was something I had no clue about before.  Already I'm learning more and more about what to look for and why I like what I like. 

Great job to all involved!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2009, 01:50:30 AM »
The postman (his back undoubtedly aching) delivered this the other day. Wow! It's tremendous. Kudos to all concerned.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Scott Warren

« Reply #185 on: August 28, 2009, 10:32:09 AM »
I just bought this a fortnight back and it is amazing. The standard of writing is top notch and try as I might, I couldn't even find anything the subs missed!

Were different versions printed for the US and UK markets with localised/localized spelling?

And who here has played the most courses of those reviewd at length? Has anyone played them all? Ran, perhaps?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back