News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Huddersfield Golf Club
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »
Start off with a shot of the clubhouse from the 1st fairway. I played here in June when the course was in great shape.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

Re: Huddersfield Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:47:10 AM »
I will get back with the rest when I've worked out how to enlarge the photos!!!!!
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

JWinick

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:39:25 PM »
Is this is in England?  This was my only round of golf ever in Europe.  Good times. 

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 09:39:57 AM »
Dean

I played Huddersfield GC (also known as Fixby) last month.  A very good challenge.

I look forward to seeing the rest of your photos.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 03:51:55 PM »
I played Fixby a lot during my junior years and it was always a real treat to play. The 16th is one of the most complete par 4s that I have ever encountered and the course might be worth playing just for this single hole. Fixby does have many other excellent holes though and has cross bunkering on several holes notably the par 5 5th and par 4 6th.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:18:03 PM »
Jon, I probably played there with you 25 years ago!!!!!
Still working on my technical skills with photographs. Apparently I am completely useless my brother just said. Cheers.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 01:46:49 AM »
Dean,

yes I think we probably did. I will have to get across there to play it again some day soon.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 06:17:23 AM »
Who does the club recognize as the designer or designers of Fixby?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »
Tom,

here is some of the club's history from the website http://www.huddersfield-golf.co.uk/index.asp

The club was founded in 1891 and the original courses, 18 holes for the men and 9 for the ladies were laid out by Tom Dunn, one of the leading golf course architects of the day. The first professional at Huddersfield, appointed at the age of 23 was Alex Herd who won the Open Championship in 1902.
One of the earliest captains, Dr F L Mackenzie was the originator of the concept of County Unions and he became the first President of the Yorkshire Union when it was formed in 1893/4. Fixby is known as ‘the Home of Yorkshire Golf’ and all the Yorkshire Union of Golf Club’s honours boards are displayed in the Centenary Hall.

The course has been changed several times in the last 100 years, with modifications by Alex Herd, W Herbert Fowler, Dr Alastair Mackenzie, Hawtree and Donald Steel. In 1969 the present 12th & 13th holes were opened, following the sale, for housing, of holes adjacent to the present 17th. An exhibition match involving Peter Oosterhuis, Gary Player, Joe Carr and Rodney Foster took place to celebrate the opening.

A £0.5m project to relay all the greens to USGA standards, which ensures they are playable throughout the winter, has recently been completed, to the design of architect Cameron Sinclair. To celebrate the reopening of the greens, a further exhibition match took place in September 2004 with representatives from the four Cups - Neil Coles (Ryder), Alison Nicholas (Solheim), Gary Wolstenholme (Walker) & Emma Duggleby (Curtis).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back