News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Traditions GC - Maybe the coolest green I have ever seen...
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »
...and I've played 16 at North Berwick (West) and 3 at Deal!

Okay, maybe not that cool, but not far short.

I played Traditions GC in Surrey yesterday, not far from Woking. A Peter Aliss design, it was a pretty uninspiring course without being boring, but it had one really cool this going for it: the 13th green.

From 130 yards out, it looks a bit like a flattish skyline green. You get the feeling the back might drop away a bit, but nothing prepared me for what was waiting after the flat front 20 yards or so.

But here's the reality. The moderate green speeds meant you could keep it on the green if you rolled over the crest, but not if the ball had more than a gentle roll left on it.

It's the kind of thing that gets me excited about new courses, even if they don't come highly rated. You can discover some awesome stuff at the unlikeliest of places.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:18:38 PM by Scott Warren »

Will MacEwen

Re: Traditions GC - Maybe the coolest green I have ever seen...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:19:14 PM »
Scott - can they (or do they) put the pin on the low part?

Scott Warren

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:21:59 PM »
Not too sure, Will. I didn't think to look for old replaced cups, but at the speed the greens run, it's conceivable. I really wish the course wasn't so busy so I could have played around there a bit.

Mark Woodger

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »
I played Traditions a few years ago in Winter. Terrible conditions and i don't recall the course in much detail as i was trying not to drown in the middle of fairway  :)

Scott - i would suggest trying to play the course at Kings Hill (near West Malling just off the M20) as if i recall correctly there are two greens like this there (maybe not as dramatic slopes). I played there about 10 years ago and remember thinking that the greens were pretty enjoyable. The course itself isn't bad either from what i remember. Apologies in advance if the course is a disapointment.

http://www.kingshillgolf.co.uk/index.lasso?pg=01e8d300b75bc6b6

Scott Warren

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Mark. I had been warned Traditions was a damp track, and despite the cracking weather of late, a few fairways were quite damp, those in the woodland particularly, which is the area of the course closest to the river and marina.

Over on the part of the course that is home to 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 and 14, it was quite firm and fast.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back