News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig Van Egmond

Oak Tree Golf Club = Oak Tree National
« on: July 23, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »
In addition to the remodel work on the golf course, Oak Tree Golf Club in Edmond, Oklahoma is now called Oak Tree National.  I can't say that I like the new name but the course should be fabulous.

http://www.newsok.com/oak-tree-ready-for-the-big-time/article/3387295?custom_click=lead_story_title

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 08:23:04 AM by Craig Edgmand »

PCCraig

Re: Oak Tree Golf Club = Oak Tree National
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:01:57 AM »
I wonder why Pete Dye didn't do the work himself? It sounds like the went outside his company for the GCA.
H.P.S.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
Craig,

Do you know if they now have a separate national membership category?  I would be curious to know what they're getting for initiation and monthly dues for the regular and national (if available) memberships.  Is the sale price to the new owner known?

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 04:40:40 PM »

Pat,

I don't know why Pete Dye didn't do the work himself, he was consulted about the changes and gave his approval.

Lou,

The new owner Evans said membership will be limited to between 250 and 300 golfers -- instead of the 550 or so that once belonged and will have about 100 national members.  I have no idea what the costs will be.

Steve_ Shaffer

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 09:00:08 PM »
 8) I remember back in 1998 when playing at Oak Tree in an interclub tourney that the members were talking about seeing Pete Dye there, checking things out for possible rennovation.. 

Interesting to see something has actually been done, but the comment to revise greens to reward a good shot seems kind of funny.. maybe reflecting modern expectations of pros to not be embarrased?
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
My lasting memory of Oak Tree was in being at the PGA in 1988 when Sluman won his first event -- happened to be a major. I remember talking to fellow media and let them know how demanding the place can be -- I played it twice before the event and experiencd the full fury of OK heat and wind -- with gusts to 40-50 mph.

Guess what happened in the tourney ?

The wind dropped to next to nothing for the full duration of the event and the PGA brass set-up the course to make sure no one would be blindsided by Pete's demanding and relentless layout.

I really like the course because so much of what has followed Oak Tree from Pete has been your basic cut'n paste of what I have seen previously.

Oak Tree -- now Oak Tree National -- gets little attention because the spotlight burns bright on Southern Hills but I have always liked the layout because good players truly need a good set of pampers to handle the demands if they decide to play from the tips -- Oak Tree is sort of like the famed Romulands from Star Trek fame -- they take no prisoners !

Roland Waguespack

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
I would love to hear Geoff Shackelford's thoughts on the name change.  I really enjoyed his thoughts about such names in "Grounds for Golf." 

I borrow from Mr. Geoff:

"Augusta National Syndrome.  The formula is simple.  Take your course location or even the club founder's name, then slap on "National."  This is your indication of a club hoping to host a national event while remaining ultra-exclusive the other fifty-one weeks of the year.....these courses assume that if they add National to their title, they suddenly have the Augusta National of their region.  The funny thing is, few of these places actually have a national membership or a design anyone would talk about nationally.  Just an attiude."

--I am sorry but seeing this post made me immediately think of this section of his book.

Steve Lang

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:57:40 PM »
 8)  Oak Tree's location probably dooms it to low National membership numbers, but if you played there, you'd have no question of its design merit or the perpetual challenges presented.. 
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

Oak Tree National just got the 2014 Senior US Open. Not sure it was the major they had in mind, but its a start.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jZew0oAryGncvSW6Wvl64ryhDArgD9ABF1G00

Peter_Collins

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »
8)  Oak Tree's location probably dooms it to low National membership numbers, but if you played there, you'd have no question of its design merit or the perpetual challenges presented.. 

FWIW Flint Hills National 125 miles up I-35 has a full national membership with a robust waiting list. 

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
I cant picture the US Open being played at a course with houses on both sides of 10,11,12,13 and 14 no matter if every thing else was perfect.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back