News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Adding up the "Whip It Out" Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 02:57:41 PM »
... I often find the best courses rather uninspired even if they are the best. ...

What kind of mumbo jumbo is this?  ??? ::)

G

The sort of mumbo jumbo where I can readily see that Muirfield is a very good golf course, but one that doesn't do much for me.  Just like I can say the BMW 5 Series is a very good car, but doesn't do much for me so I won't buy it. 

Ciao

So you are saying the BMW 5 Series is uninspired?

G

I am sure the 5 Series was/is an inspiration for someone, but it doesn't inspire me anywhere near to the point where I want to buy it.  That doesn't in the least mean I don't think it a good car, because I do think it is a good car.  To continue the analogy, the 5 Series doesn't inspire me because it does more or less what a multitude of cars do - including far cheaper cars.  What it does have, similar to the acknowledged great courses, is a famous badge that demands respect and a premium price even if badge engineering may play a strong role in its fame. 

It is okay to be discriminating and even expect more, where the greats are concerned because they usually charge for the rep wether it can be delivered or not.     

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jason Goss

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 11:00:36 PM »
The results are very interesting.  Does the fact that three of the top nine are all at The Bandon Resort say more about the quality of the courses or the fact that they are accessible to all of us?  What will this look like when everyone who voted for the three Bandon courses get a chance to play Old Mac?
Jason Goss
Golf Course Superintendent
Sonoma Golf Club
Sonoma, CA
www.sonomagolfclub.com

John Moore II

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 11:09:25 PM »
The results are very interesting.  Does the fact that three of the top nine are all at The Bandon Resort say more about the quality of the courses or the fact that they are accessible to all of us?  What will this look like when everyone who voted for the three Bandon courses get a chance to play Old Mac?

Old Mac will probably find its way near the top of the list. It says both about Bandon. Note, the only true private facility where golf can't be booked by outside guests in the top 15 is Pine Valley CORRECTION, CYPRESS POINT IS IN THE TOP 15 AS WELL. The American courses are public/resorts and the courses in the British Isles can all be played through booking.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:12:16 PM by John K. Moore »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back