News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Hey, Yang, it's a parking lot...!
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »
Richard, that's why I included the parenthetical "[or the average difficulty of those courses that Tiger played this year]."  I don't have the data, but based solely on watching the tournaments on TV, the players seemed to have more difficulty on the greens at Hazeltine than at BPB and Turnberry, as well as all of the other places Tiger played this year other than Augusta. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2009, 09:54:23 PM »
Richard,

If Mickleson, or Els, or Garcia, or whomever not named Tiger had turned in a similar performance we would be saying words like "choked", "wilted", "crumbled under the pressure".

Why can't Tigers performance yesterday be as simple as that?  It was no more complex than El Tigre wilting in Mr. Yang's presence right?

I kinda like that assessment, don't you?   ;)  ;D

Tom MacWood

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2009, 10:37:59 PM »
Tiger is victim of his own success. Anyone who claims he choked is measuring him against his own unreal performances. No one has putted like him in major championships. Yang won the tournament.

Has anyone noted that Yang's coach is a Buckeye?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:43:15 PM by Tom MacWood »

Adam Russell

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »
Tom D. -
We don't think too badly about them. They just look at our hunting dogs in a weird way, that's all  ;) It was good to see most parties walking rather than riding the course. especially mid-day with the humidity sky-high...

Jason -
It was my first chance to see the two-year old renovation work. The rate to walk the old track was above what I was willing to pay as a student (they charged the same price whether walking or riding - $40 weekdays). But after writing it off I called today and found a new walking rate of $22. It's a bargain at that price. The bones of the old course are still there, but the greens and bunkers are of a much different look (sharp angled geometric bunker faces plus bigger greens with numerous small ripple contours and big bowl depressions in them). Much more interest around the chipping areas, and better dispersion of tees from ladies to the new Bulldog tees (7200 yds.). It is still an exacting course that is tough to walk, but the changes overall give the place a more upscale, tournament type venue feel. I think that's what they were trying to establish and getting the Nationwide Tour event for next year seems to validate the changes. The approach shots seem more elevated and imposing now due to the bunker shapes hiding a good deal of the putting surfaces. The margin of error for getting away with poor shots is thin, but overall the changes turned an average course into one of the better tracks in the area, something I didn't think DLIII design could pull off having to deal with the existing RTJ routing, which is the ultimate downfall of the course in my opinion.
The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs, which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum or bourbon in it.” -Lewis Grizzard

JC Jones

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2009, 08:32:03 AM »

This is good for golf. Is't Tiger asian?

Anthony

I believe he self-identifies as a Cablinasian.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Doug Siebert

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2009, 12:38:50 AM »
The thing you guys are missing about Tiger's putting stats is how many tap ins he had.  A few years ago Tiger would never have had tap ins after most of those misses, he'd have a 3 foot comeback because he hit the ball firmer.  He was very tentative with his putter the last couple days, like he was afraid of the ball getting away from him, and even left some putts short which he never used to do.

I think part of the reason he "over read" so many putts is because he's not at all used to putting so tentatively and doesn't know how much more break to allow for the ball when you are pacing it to die into the hole.  If he'd putted aggressively as he used to, many of the short/medium distance putts could have been putted without giving away the hole and he'd probably have made more of them.

I think the fact there have been a few chinks in his armor where he's actually missed a few short putts this year seems to have made him a bit afraid of the longer ones.  Perhaps he's slowly becoming human like the rest of us, in other words ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back