News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Widely differing teeing angles to par 3 holes
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2009, 03:38:05 PM »
Jason,

I just find em and post em!!   ;D

Tony,

Yes that would be sweet to have in the backyard.  The green runs from left to wide, like a long hot dog!! 

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2009, 03:46:30 PM »
The 15th at Cypress Point has the original tee which is rarely used and then the new tee which is down by the water.

You can see both in this photo.   The original tee is much more elevated and to me makes the hole play differently.

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »
Ed, the "Kaiser tee" for the 2d hole at Bandon Dunes is at a 90 degree angle to the regular tees for the hole. It's located right behind the original #1 green. A very fun and very different angle from there.   
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Anthony Gray

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
Ed, the "Kaiser tee" for the 2d hole at Bandon Dunes is at a 90 degree angle to the regular tees for the hole. It's located right behind the original #1 green. A very fun and very different angle from there.   

Doug,

Was that the original tee?

Anthony

Doug Wright

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »

Doug,

Was that the original tee?

Anthony

No, it's an extra tee that Mike Kaiser put in hence the name; I don't think it's used very often for regular play but if you're there check it out sometime.

Of course the angles from the alternate tees at Pacific Dunes #10 are pretty different too.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom Yost

« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »
Sunridge Canyon #17, Fountain Hills AZ (Keith Foster, 1995)

Two sets of tees give two distinctly different playing experiences.  The left tees play 209 from the back across a desert ravine. The right tees play 152 from the back with a drop shot from atop a ridge.   

Chris DeNigris

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 08:43:15 PM »
17 at SunRidge is a great example. Very fun hole from across the canyon.

#3 at Royal New Kent has close to 90 degrees of possible perimeter tee areas and can play radically different depending on the pin placement.

And in Kingsley fashion, #11 at the Mines has 2 great angles of approach.

David Schofield

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 09:11:47 PM »
All in all I think with possble pin placements and tee boxes Tobacco Road has the most variety of eny course when it comes to par 3's.

I would agree.  #17 is also a "shooting gallery" setup.

http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/yardageguide.html

John Moore II

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 09:22:15 PM »
All in all I think with possble pin placements and tee boxes Tobacco Road has the most variety of eny course when it comes to par 3's.
I would agree.  #17 is also a "shooting gallery" setup.
http://www.tobaccoroadgolf.com/yardageguide.html
Except that they don't use half of the green and have only one tee box to be used per set of tees.

Actually though, that hole is a good example of my 2 1/2 par hole. From the back tees, for me, that hole plays to something in the range of a 3/4 gap wedge. I have made birdie on that hole 3 of the 5 times I have played it and the other 2 times I lipped out a birdie putt and banked a bunker shot off the flagstick to 6 inches. Its just a routing disaster, but thats been discussed before.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:40 AM »
I noticed when I played Tobacco Road last summer that they only use three areas of each green for hole locations [the 1-2-3 setup system preferred by many management companies].  I thought that was particularly sad at a course like Tobacco Road, but I suppose they are doing it to prevent complaints ... that 17th green has some possible set-ups that 95% of golfers would call "unfair," and they don't want to put one of those close to the end of the round and give people something to complain about as they come in.

Our 11th hole at St. Andrews Beach had excellent alternate tees, maybe 60 degrees apart ... from the right tees you had to guard against going over the green, and the bunker at the back right of the green guarded more of the putting surface, while from the left tees you had to hit a straight shot along the line of the green and really guard against a pull.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2009, 09:37:32 AM »

And in Kingsley fashion, #11 at the Mines has 2 great angles of approach.

Good call Chris:

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Doug Siebert

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2009, 01:21:45 AM »
Is it cheating to have two greens? ;)

My dad tells me that back in the 60s there used to be several more sets of tees on the hillside off the right edge of this drawing - 7 in all! - which when going to the left green would give you over 120* of range.  It has been a while since I've seen them use the left tee to the right green, I guess they think that's too difficult a shot for most people.  But the right tee regularly plays to both greens (the listed distances are for the right tee to the right green)

The par 4 following this one had two fairways....the second fairway also long since defunct.  Who says Robert Bruce Harris designs always minimized maintenance costs? :o

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Lester George

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »

19th at Kinloch

17th at Newport Bay

6th at The Colonial

13th at Ballyhack

These a re few examples of holes I have designed that use the concept discussed here.  I would post pictures but don't know how. 

Lester

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »
I haven't followed the thread so apologies if someone else has pointed this out.

Those coming to BUDA will hopefullly get to play the 8th at Deal from two angles.

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/index.lasso?pg=33fb7102119e49df&v=1&mpd=c005a8730d8afec4&catid=fb0b23424d317940&mp=40f0a06afb58cc59&-session=ldcms:50B0E2B81181d33A93gNI1F1CE7A

Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2009, 05:19:49 PM »
Sunridge Canyon #17, Fountain Hills AZ (Keith Foster, 1995)

Good call, Tom.  I remember that hole well.   

A great example is the sun tee on the 14th at Riviera, though I think this isn't in use anymore.

I'll also mention the 5th (I think) at Dale Hollow (perhaps some have heard Doug Ralston mention it  ;D).  The tee shot is about 190 yards over a ravine from the regular men's tees, but there are seniors & ladies tees 90 degrees to that tee (and right along the cartpath) that for the most part eliminate the forced carry and shorten the hole substantially.  A good idea I thought.  The pic below shows the regular tee on the left and part of the seniors/ladies on the far right.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2009, 01:14:36 PM »
17 at Cabo del Sol Ocean is close to 90°

17 at Roco Ki may be slightly greater than 45°

Scott Warren

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 06:30:22 AM »
I haven't followed the thread so apologies if someone else has pointed this out.

Those coming to BUDA will hopefullly get to play the 8th at Deal from two angles.

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/index.lasso?pg=33fb7102119e49df&v=1&mpd=c005a8730d8afec4&catid=fb0b23424d317940&mp=40f0a06afb58cc59&-session=ldcms:50B0E2B81181d33A93gNI1F1CE7A

The 4th, as well, has a winter tee in the sea wall that is a good 40-50m right of the main tee. A completely different hole from over there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back