News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Prairie Club Facts
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:38:02 PM »
I just received my prospective membership package from The Prairie Club today.  I have to say, it is quite a good piece of marketing.   

Does anyone know how many memberships the club is looking to have?  I am also wondering what percentage of tee times at the club will be public and if the club has plans to close the course to the public once a certain number of members is reached.  Based on the initiation fees and yearly dues, I am guessing the membership will be pretty big and it will remain public for a quite awhile.  The package was a bit vague in some of that information. 

One more thing, I have never played golf in Nebraska.  What is the expected golf season for that region of the country? 

Tom Huckaby

Re: Prairie Club Facts
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:41:27 PM »
Ben - so you gonna join?  And need a partner for the member-guest?

;D

I know little of Nebraska weather, but I do know Sand Hills has a season that runs only a bit longer than Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Need Nebraska experts... not all places there are likely the same, nor will all clubs treat this as Sand Hills does.  But I have to believe Prairie Club is gonna have some form of quite short season.

TH

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:41:48 PM »
If you look in the back of the booklet I believe there's 150 lines for charter members.  Total membership I think was to be 450?  Mark Amundson could tell you for sure, maybe try to IM him...

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »
Ben

Isn't this a question you should be asking the club and not bringing to this discussion forum?

I mean who knows except the Prairie Club folks?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 01:57:16 PM »
Ben -

Seems to me the questions you are asking, aside from the length of the golf season in Nebraska, should be directed to the club itself.
They are legitimate questions any potential member would be likely to ask. I would hope the club gives you clear and definitive answers to your questions.

DT  

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 02:05:51 PM »
David and Michael,

Whoa guys.  I am just asking a question about a well known new project on a forum that discusses these type things.  I will ask the club the same questions.  But I wanted the honest and unfiltered answers from folks that have inquired and are "in the know".  Eric and Tom got the idea.   ;D

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
Ben -- Husker native and still resident here. Also, maybe Adam Clayman will chime in.

We can golf 12 months in Nebraska if there isn't snow on the ground! That said, I'd guess the Prairie Club may be looking at a April 1 to September 30 type season. Lord knows if the weather holds that it could be longer than that.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 01:04:25 AM »
Tony:

Why would the season at The Prairie Club be much longer than the season at Sand Hills?  Sand Hills doesn't open until mid-May.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »
The mid-May opening for Sand Hills seems very conservative.  I don't live in Nebraska, but I grew up in Iowa and live in Colorado so I have Nebraska bracketed.  One should be able to play golf in Nebraska in April through October. 

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 11:17:33 AM »

I kinda got the feeling the Sand Hills opens when they do because they want to.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 12:03:35 PM »
It isn't necessarily the weather issue at Sand Hills.  They get very nice golf weather ocasionally in even March, but it can be howling cold as well, even into end of May on occasion.  But, there is a huge issue of available workers and caddies in that remote area.  I have always been told the SH has the shorter season than it could have if only weather were the factor, because they wait for the school season to release caddies for their summer.  I could be wrong. 

Someone should inquire what the open season is at Dismal River these days, for a comparison.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 12:11:26 PM »
RJ:

I know there is some golfable weather in the sand hills before Memorial Day.  However, in addition to the labor issues you mention (which other area courses are not exempt from, though Dismal River was bringing in outside laborers to much local resentment), Mr. Youngscap has always held off opening because of having to reconstruct bunkers and get the fescue growing again.  So, for Sand Hills, it's partly a matter of choice but partly a matter of wanting the course to be in good condition for the members and guests.

Ron Farris

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 10:26:13 AM »
I won't speak to the number of member at the Prairie Club, but in all likelihood I will see Paul Schock today, and may I can get a number. 
As one who grew up in the area I can honestly tell you that there are many days that are quite playable well before Sand Hills GC opens and after it closes. While others were out shooting pheasants in October I carried a transister radio on my trolly and listened to Cornhusker Football while playing golf at nearby Ainsworth Municipal ---- truly some of my best memories of golf in Nebraska!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 03:38:40 PM »
The short season at SH is more a function of Mr. Youngscap's desire that every member on every visit is treated to the best conditioning. Or so I've been told.

Since Mullen and Valentine are a bit north and east of me, I cannot say how often winter golf is playable there. But here in OG, we play a ton of winter golf. It really is amazing how just 50 miles away the micro climate is completely different. This last year I played Dec. 29th and again on the 2nd of Jan.  Between Jan 1 and March 1 we must've played forty rounds this year. When the days are 45 degrees and the wind is under 15 mph out of the NW, golf is playable. Any lower tempts with wind and it can be a bit much even for a die hard nut job. Cart covers help immensely as do propane heaters for those iffy days.

As an example, The high school golf season opens March 1st. Practice begins and the first meet is not usually scheduled until April. This April most of the early meets had to be re-scheduled. Each one of those days the weather was fine here in OG. But in Scottsbluff and North Platte, it was not.
Hope it helps some what, Ben.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:08:18 PM »
Ben et al:

I will try and attempt to answer some of your questions.  The number of members we will end up with is unknown at this time.  We plan on selling as many memberships as makes sense.  As we grow we will react to the growth and make decisions accordingly.  When we open there will two courses open, one will be private each day and one will be public.  The next day they will switch.  This will guarantee the members a private club experience while allowing a large number of public play guests the opportunity to enjoy the Prairie Club.  The expected golf season for most years would be May through October with April and November being possible shoulder season months.  The final decision as to when we open in 2010 will be based on many things and will be determined in the months to come.  I have been on property in March when it was 80 and in November when it was 80 but I have also been on site in May when it was snowing.  I am not sure there is a norm for this area. The Prarie Club's elevation is 2800 ft plus and it is nearly 3300 ft. at the Sand Hills.  This is one reason the season is shorter in this part of NE than in the eastern part of the state.  If anyone has questions about the Prairie Club you can call Rick Fretland at 402-376-1321 and he will be more than happy to help you out.  We look forward to seeing all of you in 2010!

Mark

Ben Sims

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 06:11:13 PM »
Mark,

Publicly, thank you.  I'll be in touch. 

Ben

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 06:56:03 PM »
  When we open there will two courses open, one will be private each day and one will be public.  The next day they will switch.  This will guarantee the members a private club experience while allowing a large number of public play guests the opportunity to enjoy the Prairie Club. 

Great idea. Seems like you guys are one step ahead of a choppy market, and that is not easy to do.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 09:46:04 PM »
Just an opinion from the peanut gallery -

I think it would be really cool to split the courses by half days - ie) public in am and private in pm, and vice versa - rotating each day

This would allow both your members and guests (likely) to play 36 in a day while mixing up the courses if they so choose. The private peeps get a private experience on both courses each day - that would be sweet (if you were on that side of the fence :) )

The PC sounds like a really cool place, best of luck!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
Well I would think a member could "slum it" on the day's public course at any point should they choose...

:)
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Rob Rigg

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 11:14:16 PM »
Brad,

I would assume that you are right - I was just thinking, in theory, if the club is really busy, as a member, I would enjoy having the option of playing 36 in a day on both courses with fewer people on them.

I, off course, would be on the public side, in which case it would be pretty cool as well because I could do the same thing, hopefully :) , just with the hoi poloi instead of the jetsetters! 5 hour rounds instead of 4 - such is life. :)

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
Rob:

You concept is mostly beneficial to the public play person.  We want to take care of the public play people as well as take care of our members and our final decisions will be based on what is best for our business model.  We also will have great lodging, great food, cold beer,etc so you can understand our interest in having people come and play golf all day, enjoy the club and great hospitality, get a good nights rest, followed by another great day of golf on the other course. 

Keep the good thoughts coming!

Mark

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »
Mark,

Bravo for your private/public plans. If only this concept could travel to Sand Hills, Dismal River and Ballyneal,then  public golfers could experience more great courses. I'll be there next year.

By the way, will your facility be women friendly as there are many among us who travel with spouses/SOs who are golfers?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

RJ_Daley

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
Mark, did TL come out and play what is there as a tune-up for 'the Open'?  He made a respectable showing.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Will Smith

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
Knowing Tom, I doubt he was happy with his finish. Great to read that he was out on the tenth tee with his son rooting for Watson to bring it home.

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
Steve:

We will be women friendly.  We have multiple sets of tees on every hole on both courses, the lodge will comfortable for both men and women, and the food and drink will be enjoyed equally by both sexes!   RJ - no Tom did not come out right before the open but his game seems to be solid no matter where he practices.  We are not quite ready to be as firm and fast and hard as things were at Turnberry.  I shed a tear for the 59 year old on Sunday and could almost feel his pain all the way to SD.

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back