News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Henderson

Re: The Best use of 90 Acres
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 02:24:18 AM »
Kyle Henderson,
It's small, but you do get a compact version of the closing holes (although 16 here is a par 4) from TPC Sawgrass at Bartley Cavanaugh GC, courtesy of Perry Dye. 

Surely you jest. Aside from the island green apect of 17, the similarities are scarce. The 18th at TPC has that perfectly angled dogleg with trees right pushing tee shots toward the water. This 18th is a straight hole that punishes hackers fighting hooks. No strategy at all. The 16th holes are even less similar. There are a few interesting contours on some of the holes. I used to play it on weekday afternoons when it was empty (for $18). Doak 1 or 2 at best.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 05:38:59 AM »
I've heard a member on here refer to Healesville (VIC) as a "shoe-in for a Top25 course in Australia" - how many acres there ?

Andy Silis

« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 07:24:35 AM »
Two that I have played recently:

San Antonio CC..........Less than 100 Acres with a tremendous renovation by Brian Silva. Opening hole is a great 165 yard Par 3 with the tee box almost flush with the clubhouse.

The Everglades Club ( Palm Beach )............73 Acres.........6019 Yards Par 70. Seth Raynor Restoration/Renovation by Brian Silva. Raymond Floyd ( who is a member ) calls it the best "short course" he has ever played.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 10:28:10 AM »
I was reading the blurbs on their site and came across this:

No. 17 is that island hole that’s a near-replica of the famous Sawgrass 17th that bedevils PGA players during the Players Championship. Our par-3 is a bit shorter, measuring 107 yards from the back and 68 from the front. “There’s a pot bunker front right and a hump in the middle of the green,” said Flynn. “You can definitely see the Pete Dye (Perry’s father) influence.”
The 17th is also believed to be the only island green in Sacramento.
The finishing hole also reminds some players of the 18th at Sawgrass. This is a par-4 (390 yards from the back and 300 from the front). “You’ll see Pete Dye’s influence throughout the course,” Flynn said. This hole is a gradual dogleg left with water on the left-hand side. But you want to stay slightly left here. Your drive isn’t going to be as daunting as it is at Sawgrass. You can miss and still be OK.”

Add in the way the 16th green at BC juts into the water and I think Perry Dye's 'inspiration' came from 2,760 miles to the east.

I should have put a smiley face in my post, but there is a visual similarity from above.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

tlavin

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 10:52:05 AM »
Dallas Country Club comes to mind. I believe it has less than 100 acres but the Texas State Amateur was held there a couple of years ago and rebuffed all but a half dozen players shooting par or less.

Bob

I played there a few months back and I must say I wasn't all that impressed by the quality or the difficulty of the golf course.  They are in the process of spending millions on a new clubhouse and parking garage.  Methinks one of our architect posters here could do great things with the golf course for a couple million.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »
I was reading the blurbs on their site and came across this:

No. 17 is that island hole that’s a near-replica of the famous Sawgrass 17th that bedevils PGA players during the Players Championship. Our par-3 is a bit shorter, measuring 107 yards from the back and 68 from the front. “There’s a pot bunker front right and a hump in the middle of the green,” said Flynn. “You can definitely see the Pete Dye (Perry’s father) influence.”
The 17th is also believed to be the only island green in Sacramento.
The finishing hole also reminds some players of the 18th at Sawgrass. This is a par-4 (390 yards from the back and 300 from the front). “You’ll see Pete Dye’s influence throughout the course,” Flynn said. This hole is a gradual dogleg left with water on the left-hand side. But you want to stay slightly left here. Your drive isn’t going to be as daunting as it is at Sawgrass. You can miss and still be OK.”

Add in the way the 16th green at BC juts into the water and I think Perry Dye's 'inspiration' came from 2,760 miles to the east.

I should have put a smiley face in my post, but there is a visual similarity from above.

While I must concede that I've never played the TPC, and I whole-heartedly agree that it was Perry's source of inspiration, I don't think 16 or 18 play anything like Pete's originals.

How many American courses claim to be "Scottish links." Same kind of fib.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sam Morrow

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 09:06:37 PM »
Two that I have played recently:

San Antonio CC..........Less than 100 Acres with a tremendous renovation by Brian Silva. Opening hole is a great 165 yard Par 3 with the tee box almost flush with the clubhouse.

The Everglades Club ( Palm Beach )............73 Acres.........6019 Yards Par 70. Seth Raynor Restoration/Renovation by Brian Silva. Raymond Floyd ( who is a member ) calls it the best "short course" he has ever played.

San Antonio CC is awesome, right there on the patio next to 1 there used to be a plaque mentioning Eisenhower's time there as a member.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
Kyle,
A faux-finish  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

mark chalfant

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2009, 08:20:13 AM »
Metacomet, in East Providence, Rhode Island is a brilliant use of  94 acres. 

Tom Fussell

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2009, 04:37:26 PM »
Memphis CC, I believe is 88 acres, as a member told me a few years ago.  It was built in 1905 by Ross and is where Dr. Middlecoff used to hang out for years.

If my memory is correct, there's a bell that rings to halt range shots from being hit as the first fairway crosses the range.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back