News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

I'm more familliar with Ireland where the west coast seems to have more dramatic dunes than the east coast.

What of Scotland ?
AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

Good topic Mayday, I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of those who've played more of them.

In additon to your point re height I'll add.

East coast is traditionally drier than the west due to prevailing winds dumping their load on the first land they hit. Therefore the west coast ones tend to stay greener. Anyone notice if this impacts on the architecture?

West Caost links often feel closer to the sea. This is a) because higher dunes give more extensive views, b) the sound of the waves travesl onshore on that prvailing wind and c) thats the way the land has developed (again probalbly to do with wave action and prevailing wind).
Let's make GCA grate again!

mike_malone

I look forward to my trip to the west of England and Wales in Sept. From pictures it appears that the west coast has been battered for ages by the wind and surf giving it a more rugged look.
AKA Mayday

Niall C

Mike/Tony,

Don't know about dune systems but you are right about the weather. Generally the east coast is drier and colder. In terms of the soil I would suggest east coast is sandier while the west coast is loamier (not sure thats the right spelling, basically darker with more organic mater in it).

Mike - where are you playing in England, are you doing a Silloth trip ?

Niall

mike_malone

I'm extending my BUDA trip with one day at Burnham and Berrow and then on to Royal Porthcawl and Pennard.
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

Mike -

I would highly encourage you to get down to St. Endoc if you possibly can. You will find some very large dunes there and a great golf experience as well.

DT

mike_malone

David,

If you could guarantee me a quiet stock market.
AKA Mayday

David_Tepper

Mike -

Can't do that, but I would argue that substituting St. Endoc & Saunton for Portcawl & Pennard is likely more than an even trade.

DT 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back