News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Pop Goes The Bubble
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2009, 06:47:16 AM »
I just read in a local golf magazine that rounds played in Northwest are actually UP (comparing April 2008 to April 2009) about 3 or 4%.

Pretty amazing fact with the economy being where it is.

On Friday July 3rd, Hidden Creek (NJ) had an all-time record for one day number of players. As Jaka has often said, the tee sheet was full or as full as I can stand it.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2009, 07:05:21 AM »
Speaking of public courses lowering rates, a CCFAD in Wilmington, DE- White Clay Creek- just lowered it's prime time rate from $95 to $80. This course was developed by the Delaware Park horse race track and did not have a land acquisition cost and tried to make it as an upscale place to play on their Arthur Hills course. I haven't played there yet but maybe  I'll go and play it for their twilite rate of $65.

www.whiteclaycreekgolfcourse.com

White Clay Creek has had commercials on local radio for a few weeks now.  Part of the spot says "... 5 sets of tees, and water coming into play on most holes".

This is not how I would try to attract your typical golfer.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 10:03:47 AM »
I just read in a local golf magazine that rounds played in Northwest are actually UP (comparing April 2008 to April 2009) about 3 or 4%.

Pretty amazing fact with the economy being where it is.

Compare the weather from the previous year.  You've been here long enough to know that a one month period in the Northwest is meaningless. 

Long term we are over supplied.  The expense doesn't compare well with a hike, a fishing trip or a walk around Pike Street market. 

Tacoma is becoming a battleground of competing deals.  Oakbrook and Caterwood now accepting limited outside play.  Fircrest has lost dozens of members and has a huge debt.  Home Course is offering afternoon deals.  Chambers is eerily quiet as to their economic performance.  I hate to highlight the local scene but it is the one I know best. 

The problem is the industry has gotten the balance between perceived value and perceived return completely out of whack.  I love my club but the cost per round is on the edge of foolish.  To the credit of the Board at Oakbrook the outside play is designed to reduce dues on regular members.  They are making every effort to increase the value side ofr the equation. 

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »
On the demand side, the thing that's a little scary is that golf just had its Tiger and Annika moment.  Lots of folks picked-up golf for a while because Tiger and Annika captured their attention.  Will someone new come along and reignite the flame?  Probably not for a while.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back