News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nicholas Coppolo

Plainfield changes update.
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »
Played Plainfield yesterday evening (sorry no pics)

I hadn't been out there since May of last year and was excited to see the latest changes by Hanse and co. as they prepare for the pros.

What a fantastic golf course.  Truly underated in my opinion.

Got rid of the pond on 10.  There's a nice little stream hazard at 295 off the tips, there now that moves under the fairway on the left.

They've built a few new back tees.

Regraded the 9th fairway and added a giant deep cross bunker at around 285.  Now players have the option of trying to drive that bunker to get to the upper fairway for a simple pitch.

11 is a real test of controlling spin, not sure if there have been any changes here, but this hole will be fun to watch next year.

Rough was well down, very playable.

I still have yet to figure out how they'll accommodate the Barclays in terms of all the space a tour event requires.  The routing is so intimate it'll be interesting to see.  Especially on those holes where the fringe segues directly into the tee area.

Always impressed by the slope and severity of some of those greens.  I wonder how fast they'll be able to maintain them and keep them playable.  I'm glad to see they haven't been altered.

JSlonis

Re: Plainfield changes update.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:54:40 AM »
Thanks for the update.  The changes on #10 sound good.  It'll be interesting to see the pro's play Plainfield.  I'm curious what the setup will be for hole #8.

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »
As was I.  I think it's too tight and angular to play it as a fair par 4 from the back, but there's no room to build another tee to make it a good 5.  Right now I think it's right at 500 from the back.

I think they should play it up, way up, as a 460 par 4.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
Nick,

Plainfield is a terrific golf course and Gil's work has improved it a great deal.

With respect to # 10, those changes have nothing to do with the Barclay's Tour event.
They were planned some time ago.

Plainfield sits on a unique piece of property.

One must also recall that the 12th and 13th holes were combined into one hole, the 12th, and that the 13th, 14th and 15th are new and that the practice range eliminated the original 17th and 18th.

I don't recall seeing schematics of the old 17th and 18th, nor do I recall critiques of those holes.

One of the criticisms of Plainfield is the finishing hole which is a little unusual.

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »
i loved Plainfield when i played it a few years ago...and it's getting better!

I hope i can get back there soon
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »
One of the criticisms of Plainfield is the finishing hole which is a little unusual.

Might they consider switching the 9s or some sort of rotation to make #9 the finishing hole?
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Sam Maryland

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 11:26:10 PM »
Finchem suggests "some would say is Donald Ross's best design" is Plainfield...

...what's the reaction to that?

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
Finchem suggests "some would say is Donald Ross's best design" is Plainfield...

...what's the reaction to that?

I haven't seen enough Ross to say different, but I would think a case could certainly be made. Plainfield is one great golf course, and I only saw it partway through the Hanse work.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

James Bennett

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 05:17:47 AM »
Nick,

Plainfield is a terrific golf course and Gil's work has improved it a great deal.

Plainfield sits on a unique piece of property.

One must also recall that the 12th and 13th holes were combined into one hole, the 12th, and that the 13th, 14th and 15th are new and that the practice range eliminated the original 17th and 18th.

I don't recall seeing schematics of the old 17th and 18th, nor do I recall critiques of those holes.

the original schematic, as posted in the clubhouse.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »
Plainfield is already a top tier layout -- it will be clearly helped in terms of overall visibility with the event coming there.

However ...

The overall logistics in holding such a big time event will stretch the limits of the club. The overall amount of land is quite tight and compact. Not as tight as a Merion but far less than Ridgewood. I coveredthe '87 US Women's Open there and it was a real mess with t-storms dumping on the course and the related traffic issues in getting to / from the layout.

No doubt adding length is a good thing to keep the world's best on their toes. Frankly, the only sure fire to keep things flowing smoothly will be to limit ticket sales -- given the plunging economy that may be easier to do.

Last item -- of all the DR couses I have played Plainfield is among the top 2-3. It is well respected in the metro NYC area and those who haev visited / played it from outside the area can attest to that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back