News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan Cummings

Millennium Mark
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:16:19 PM »
Excuse this self-indulgent post. 

As a 57-year old and after 40 years of playing this wonderful game I'm about to pass my final milestone.

I'm about to play my 1000th lifetime golf course. 

I once was a list chaser intent on playing every golf course in the universe.  Hell-bent to play the top lists - 100s, US, world, daily fee, muni and even every course in my state (Maryland), I was driven by quantity enjoying the quality as I went. 

That flame has flickered.  Now I no longer even know how many courses on those various lists I've played.

Faded, but the playing golf flame continues to burn brightly.

I love golf.

Over the years I've been lucky enough to be a USGA slope/rating volunteer, PGA tournament volunteer, PGA tournament committee chairman, golf travel consultant, a rater, assisted my father writing a golf book, written dozens of golf articles myself and participated in these various discussion site forums.

I've been incredibly fortunate to have done it, all as a man of modest means.

In July I travel by myself to London.  I'll rent a car and drive up the east course of England on my way to Doak's annual event at Renaissance.  I have teetimes at Woodhall Spa (which I've never played). It's my 1000th course round.  I will be playing by myself.

I've been asked by a golf magazine to write an essay about the experience.  Any suggestions on how you would reflect on the experience would be appreciated.  I'm thinking of sending them no words, just a large...

:)

JC

Pete_Pittock

Re: Millennium Mark
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 06:50:14 PM »
Woodhall Spa does not have yardage markers. When you started golfing there were few if any yardage markers.

I will IM you about something else.

David Kelly

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
In your essay don't call your 1000th course the millennium mark because millennium means 1000 years or a 1000th anniversary.

What was the first course you played?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 06:59:01 PM »
You're the best Peter!

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »
David - I wasn't allowed to play but my dad took me around Fargo GC with him in 1958 as a youngster.  I walked the course with him.  My first actually play may have been at Falls Road GC in Potomac MD.   I'm really not sure.

I have no kids of my own.  But next week I'm playing Ennis GC by myself....and my 10-year old nephew who wants to walk the course with me.

JC

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:09:39 PM »
Jonathan,

Congrats.  Glad I had a chance to enjoy one of those rounds with you at the last KP.  ;) .

Here's to the next 1000.  You can do it!

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
Jonathon, email Woodhall Spa and ask to meet with Richard Latham.  He is the director of golf for the English Golf Union which is headquartered at WS.  He wrote a wonderful book outlining the history of the architecture at Woodhall Spa.  I am sure they would be delighted to sell you a copy.  Richard is a fine gentleman and an outstanding player.  Congratulations on #1000.  I played my 1000th a few years ago. Like you I have lost some desire to just  check off courses but still burn to play "just one morre great one."  Woodhall Spa is a great one.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »
Here is a thread I posted on Woodhall Spa.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,37897.0/
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
Jonathan -- Frickin' awesome thread!!! Congratulations are, indeed, in order.

As a pseudo-journalist myself, my first suggestion is to shoot for 1,000 words. Maybe that's too many, but it'd be cool. As always for me, golf has served a way to teach me life. I'm sure it's taught you a thing or two. I'd love to read about your day at Woodhall Spa, but also about what the game has meant to your life.

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 09:47:41 PM »
congrats JC...i'm about 500 behind ya!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
Jonathan -

just because you asked, I'd say that structuring your essay/reflections the way you just did your opening post would work well.  The Portrait of the Golfer as a Young Man. A 57 year old looking backwards (at the young list-chaser that he once once) and looking forward (to a milestone that is more than a milestone).

Do you know that Frank Sinatra song, "It was a Very Good Year". Wait - I'm going to find the lyrics and paste them - maybe something will resonate....

Here they are:

When I was seventeen
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for small town girls
And soft summer nights
We'd hide from the lights
On the village green
When I was seventeen

When I was twenty-one
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for city girls
Who lived up the stair
With all that perfumed hair
And it came undone
When I was twenty-one

When I was thirty-five
It was a very good year
It was a very good year for blue-blooded girls
Of independent means
We'd ride in limousines
Their chauffeurs would drive
When I was thirty-five

But now the days grow short
I'm in the autumn of the year
And now I think of my life as vintage wine
from fine old kegs
from the brim to the dregs
And it poured sweet and clear
It was a very good year

All the best
Peter

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 03:42:02 PM »
1.  congratulations, despite #2;

2.  do you need us to provide an intervention?  are you so positive you haven't forgotten one?  what part of life did you sacrifice to count all these courses?

3.  my suggestion for poetic/musical theme is "100 Years" by Five For Fighting.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »

I've been asked by a golf magazine to write an essay about the experience.  Any suggestions on how you would reflect on the experience would be appreciated.  I'm thinking of sending them no words, just a large...

"I'm No Insalee, But I Still Have Issues" by Jonathan Cummings.  ;)

Adam Clayman

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »
JC, Remarkable!
 My counter intuitive nature would have you shock the reader by NOT emphasizing your roll in this feat. Rather, the most interesting people and/or circumstances you've encountered.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »

Jonathan,

Your experieces have alot to offer others. Write about how all the treavels have enriched your life.

Anthony

Mark Woodger

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »
congratulations. I am no expert on writing so however you decide to write i too would be interested to read it.

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 07:50:36 AM »
Jonathan

Congrats on #1,000. I am not sure if I mentioned to you that when we play TPC Avenel / Potomac a couple of weeks ago it was my 700th lifetime course. I still have a ways to go to reach 1,000 but unfortunately my job keeps me in the office much more than would prefer.

Rob

Anthony Gray

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »

The amazing thing is that he kept count. I have no idea how many places I have golfed. Along the way you would have thought you would have lost count. Was a journal kept?

Anthony

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 01:04:16 PM »
Jonathan,

Much congratulations are in order.  ;D

I'll look forward to joining you for a round this summer sometime post your 1000th.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2009, 06:42:55 PM »
Jonathan -

Now that you're reaching said milestone, do you have any second thoughts about "maybe I should have played 250 great courses 4 times," or something along those lines?

Or have you gotten in enough replays at your personal faves of the 1000 so that it's not an issue?

Regardless, congrats.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back