News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

archie_struthers

Re: #5 at Pine Valley
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 11:11:01 AM »
 ;D :D ;)

The shots I saw DL III hit  during the Walker Cup were generally two or three iron from the back quadrant of the tee. . At the time , and given the equipment differences , he was  exceptionally long relative to his peers.  His power seemed effortless, much like Freddy Couples.

As to playing the hole favoring the left side , balls have been hit off Mr Ewings'  house , off trees , off the steep slopeinto the bunkers , even occasionally finding the green  in an exceptional bit of luclk.  The bunker shot , if the lie is decent may be easier than the pitch from directly in front for the highly skilled player, as you can use the slope of the green to some advantage . Local knowledge is defintely necessary here, as it is on many shots at Pine Valley.

As to the right an occasional ball finds the road, however balls , caddies , dogs , and many golfers have been lost , not just injured but lost forever .  Never forget Gene Littler's experience there  , as he could play a lttle better than most of us.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »

Pat, was it more intimidating looking with less trees back in the 30's when you first played it or now
;)

Today, the pin was in the far back, slightly right, I hit a choked 3-wood about 3 yards short, bumped a 6-iron to 4-5 feet and made the only par in the group.

Another fellow was in the left side bunker, another in the right side bunker and another, off the planet.

I would say that it's more intimidating today, since the trees seem to narrow the visuals and the playing corridors.
It's a scarey shot, and if there's any wind, it's even scarier

Today I was one shot lower than my first round at PV, 45 years ago.  Alas, I failed to make one birdie out of 11 good opportunities.
I did hit all 14 fairways though.
While we complain about the ball and equipment there's no doubt that they've extended our ability to play a decent game.

The loquatious "Rocky" was my wind and yardage consultant and we had a really great time.
"Rocky" is NOT the master of inuendo.

PV is a very, very, very special golf course.

It has a unique blend of wide fairways and wonderful green complexes.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »
Jamie -

Take a look at the photo above, and note the built up area on the front of the green.  Find me an old picture and I'll bet there isn't that feature.

I found the D/A bunker on page 74 in "The Architects of Golf" 1993 version.  You will note the change with the present collar stopping the "funnel effect".

Doug Wright

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 01:27:34 PM »

Pat, was it more intimidating looking with less trees back in the 30's when you first played it or now
;)

Today, the pin was in the far back, slightly right, I hit a choked 3-wood about 3 yards short, bumped a 6-iron to 4-5 feet and made the only par in the group.

Another fellow was in the left side bunker, another in the right side bunker and another, off the planet.

Pat it's a good thing you had this thread to guide you on PV's 5th... :)
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back