News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

My first GCA trip--w/ CommonGround Reviews
« on: June 15, 2009, 10:33:10 PM »
Hi everyone.

I am excited to share some thoughts about my weekend in Holyoke with some of the gang.  I would've added to Peter's thread, but instead decided against it as I have some other pictures to post.  Ballyneal already gets tons of ink on the site and who wants to see more pictures of that stretch of ground anyway?  Although it certainly lives up to the hype and I can tell you that there were many comparisons made as we walked and played Saturday that should never see the forum, but they are very interesting if we could all be nice enough to each other to talk about them.  But after the weekend I consider all the guys friends and we had a great time.  I learned a few new things:

1) Never compare a hole that you've never been to, to one you currently teeing off on.  It WILL bite you in the ass when dealing with GCA types.

2) Not all GCA'ers are sticks.  I had a misconception that I was the worst golfer of the lot, and I may still be.  But we all had our moments of ineptitude.

3) Mike Wagner's golf swing is delicious. I say that in most heterosexual way possible.

4) Rupert O'Neal can sing pretty well. 

5) Richard Choi's voice raises one octave when speaking about Justin Timberlake.

6) The generosity and hospitality that I experienced this past weekend will never be forgotten.  I can't thank Jim Colton, Matt Schulte and Adam Clayman enough for allowing us to experience their getaway place.  I hope many of you will have the opportunity to see Ballyneal  and the sublime moments it produces.  Even more so than Bandon, it allows you to escape to a place where results and score don't matter.  A place where the entire staff knows your name before you give it to them, and where good friends share good laughs and fun golf without thinking about stimpmeters and what tee to play. 

7) I learned first and foremost, that looking someone eye-to-eye and putting a face with a name is key to understanding each other on this forum.  I learned that sometimes--me included--we go for the kill when we share our insights and opinions on this site.  When in actuality, we are all so very alike in how we embrace and appreciate what the game offers.  I will try and remember that each and every time I post in the future.

On to CommonGround.  I will caveat my round there by saying that after 45 holes on Saturday, I had a few beers, a big Ribeye with a red wine or two, and a random Patron shot delivered by Matt Schulte.  We then partook of Mr. O'Neal's vocal variations.  Mr. O'Neal also ordered up a spectacular lightening show in the distance.  I got up the next morning to play CommonGround.  As I was on the first green, I told Mike Wagner that this didn't look like Denver and he assured me that we were indeed playing Renaissance's newest layout. 

1st Green. Reminds me of Stone Eagle #5 out over the arroyo.

The CommonGround website says that #3 green was inspired by the punchbowl at Chicago Golf Club and I couldn't agree more

The tortoise and the hare (Mike Wagner) looking up from the swale in front of #4 green.  Wildlife in Denver, who knew?

Mike Wagner and Matt Schulte walking down #6 fairway.  I read some press where #6 was being compared to the 16th at ANGC.  Really, it does resemble it.  See for yourself.

The all world 7th green complex at CG.  I really didn't expect this type of undulation and creativity in urban Denver.  Well done Mr. Doak and team!!

I was very surprised to find a direct replica of the famous triple punchbowl green at #11. Notice the three distinct playing areas and how much they resemble the Triple Punchbowl from Fromage East.

My favorite hole at CommonGround, #14.  I really was impressed at how the GCA of this hole allows for different playing avenues.  Renaissance did a fantastic job of tying in existing landforms in the flat urban area to make this "rolling ocean" effect.  It makes for some awesome ground game too!

The raised complex following a choked fairway at #16 is another great hole.  I really couldn't find any weak holes at CommonGround.  It was a pleasure to play a public layout that affords this type of view and playability.  I hope to see many more public courses that feature these amazing vistas.

#18 was one of the better finishers I've ever encountered.  it reminded me of the 18th at Pasatiempo.  Those delores--I think that's what Matt called them--bunkers in front of 18 add a great degree of difficulty to any run-up shot played to a front left pin position.
IMG]http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss314/bensims04/CIMG2178.jpg[/IMG]

The caddie services put forth by the Colorado Golf Association are top notch.  I was very impressed to see a new public course with caddies as knowledgeable as Mad Dog (Andy B.  but I called him Mad Dog cause he stared me down for missed putts)  He was more than willing to take a photo on #18 with my driver "Murphy".

In the end, Commonground was a wonderful golf course and I really hope it does well.  It seems to have everything going for it.  Expansive views, wide rolling fairways, fun greens, a devoted staff, and of course, Bocci Ball.  I want to thank everyone that made this weekend happen for me, and I look forward to getting back to CommonGround in the future.

Ben Sims

Re: My first GCA trip--w/ CommonGround Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 10:37:58 PM »
Sorry, I missed the pic in front of 18 at CG.

#18 was one of the better finishers I've ever encountered.  it reminded me of the 18th at Pasatiempo.  Those delores--I think that's what Matt called them--bunkers in front of 18 add a great degree of difficulty to any run-up shot played to a front left pin position.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 10:49:36 PM »
Wags swing is like "soooo hot" - to temper any excessive bulging just think about his putter (if he is still sporting the long one with the cylinder at the bottom). Swing = Angelina Jolie, Putter = Margaret Thatcher (in the words of Austin Powers)

Ben - You and Mr Herreid are competing for best golf courses played in 2009 - Chapeau my man, keep up the good work.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 07:53:54 AM »
Ben:

I had no idea that the Ballyneal members were so insecure they wouldn't even let you see Common Ground to make the comparison.

Too bad for you!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »
Must be a long flight Tom !
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ben Sims

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »
Tom,

I could've gone if I had wanted.  But you don't turn down Giselle if she is standing in your back yard.  And judging by the fun I had on Saturday, I was chasing dreams to think it was smart to drive back to Denver early.  I guess you shouldn't have made BN so fun, or I wouldn't have stayed. 

I am kicking myself for not living my mantra of "sustainable strategy".  But BN was just that good.  I'll be back up to Denver soon enough. 

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
I'm glad you liked the course Ben. I heard you really liked how the 16th has many of the same traits as a good MacRaynor "Short":

And the "Alps" at number 18 bears an uncanny resemblance to the original:

Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Scott Sander

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:24:58 AM »
I'm sure I'm not alone in occasionally (often? always?) racing to the pics and neglecting the text.

I looked at the first three and said -out loud- "THAT'S Mira Vista now!?!  Holy mother of..."

Thanks for the reminder to slow down a bit.

Looks like a fun course, but it's a shame it's so isolated.  At least at CG you're never too far from a slurpee machine and a Jiffy Lube.

Jim Colton

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
Tom,

I could've gone if I had wanted.  But you don't turn down Giselle if she is standing in your back yard.  And judging by the fun I had on Saturday, I was chasing dreams to think it was smart to drive back to Denver early.  I guess you shouldn't have made BN so fun, or I wouldn't have stayed. 

I am kicking myself for not living my mantra of "sustainable strategy".  But BN was just that good.  I'll be back up to Denver soon enough. 

If Matt had bought Ben one or two more shots of Patrone Saturday night, today Ballyneal would have one more member and Ben would have one less fiancee.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »
Did anyone see Ben leave?  I have a feeling he stayed....

Just so there's no confusion, he did NOT knock on my door at 2 am! 

Definitely the most fun golf course I've ever played.....EVER!  It was the perfect testament to the game - get a bunch of guys who don't know each other together, act like you're 12, have a great time, & golf your brains out!

It reminded me of just about any other course....in the fact that it has 18 holes :)  (Simsism)

Could Justin Timberlake break 90??? - that's the real question Richard...

By the way, I hope some folks get in touch and come out to Erin Hills this summer/fall...

Richard Choi

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »
Man, we were all trying to put our money down on who would be the first to correct Dell Sims on this thread, and Tom had to go and ruin our fun! DARN! :)

CommonGrounds is a fine course and a course that really maximizes the limited topography available. It is too bad Dell Sims was such an easy push over!!!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:19:00 PM by Richard Choi »

Jim Colton

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »
Ben:

I had no idea that the Ballyneal members were so insecure they wouldn't even let you see Common Ground to make the comparison.

Too bad for you!

For the record, I was the last to know that Ben was sticking around for another day.  I think the other guests beat him into submission, or they just wanted him around to needle for one more day.

JC Jones

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 02:04:29 PM »
Sounds like a great time and a testament to GCA.  Im hoping my first GCA get together next weekend (the DeVries worship) will be just as much fun!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
It was def to needle him more ! He did take it well though ;)

On another note I can not believe of all the people on this forum the one person who breaks the cherry is Mr Doak himself.
I am beyond upset , Mr Dell must be doing split s 's while flying inverted over the atlantic in his joy that he was the one to comment.

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 07:06:18 PM »
Brad (and others),

I would like to go on the record as saying that I am indeed sad I didn't get to see CG.  Everyone now knows of my passion for Renaissance's brand of golf and it pains me to know I was that close to another great layout.  But--and this is a big but--BN was just that good.  As for Mr. Doak being the one to burst the bubble, that was very apropos for all the hell I took this weekend.  It was well worth it though.  And you can't play golf with a finer group of dudes than we had at Ballynizzle this weekend.

I would also like to go on record as saying that when I compared #15 to the Dell at Lahinch, I didn't say it was exactly the same.  I just said it merely reminded me of it.  Especially if the pin is far left and you play from the far left tee. 

Tom, help me out on this one.  Is #15 at BN in any way like the Dell? (other than the fact it's a par 3) 

p.s. I will take all the needling in the world to play golf as fun as Ballyneal is.   ;D

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 07:30:50 PM »
Ben,

You're a good sport.

Wait, we're through how many posts and not one mention of the Cape hole #1?

Brad Fleischer

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 07:58:25 PM »
Ahhh Ben now I know why they think you are so cute. It's a you had to be there moment but if "it" reminded you of any "PICTURES"
you have seen of the dell hole than so be it I am fine with that, it was more than worth the laughs ! Besides as much needling we gave you in my opinion you made the right choice and I have no doubt you will get to CG . I would have done the same thing by the way :)

Brad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back