News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Does "bar" rhyme with "vichyssoise"?
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:04:23 PM »
Trying to catch up with old friends... I finally got over to Jay Flemma's writing on "Cybergolf".  Jay's golf writing effort is irrepressible and he has several installments there, reporting very well on the Travis Invitational:    http://www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

I found his latest poem entertaining, even though I know less about poetry than I do about golf architecture, which ain't much...  ::)
So, I don't know if his latest poem is a take-off on a famous poem as was his 'St. George's and the Dragons', paean to Padraig Harrington's victory at the PGA.  But, one stanza got me wondering if he intended it to read as the word "bar" pronounced with hard "r" to rhyme with N.Y. area pronounciation of "vichyssoise"  as 'vichyssoarr', or the Bostonian "bah" rhymed with a Boston version of vichysswah?

the whole poem:
http://www.cybergolf.com/golf_news/our_green_and_gothic_home

"And at eighteen the story's told
That Travis dug too deep a hole
And lost an Amateur of old .
But if you need a closing par,
And hit your final shot too far
Chef Tony's voice yells from the bar:
"Your ball went in my vichyssoise!"
Our green and gothic home."

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

John_Cullum

Re: Does "bar" rhyme with "vichyssoise"?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
Ugh
"We finally beat Medicare. "

JeffTodd

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 09:08:24 PM »
Having never been there I'm struggling less with vichyssoise and more with the description of the club as gothic. What am I missing?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
Jeff,
Nothing.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 09:38:09 PM »
His regular writing style doesn't really suit my tastes, but some may like it.

As for the poetry - i think a friend needs to be brutally honest with him and say quit posting it.   :P  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:39:17 PM »
With my having skipped all the poetry sections of various English Lit., classes I was forced to attend - glaringly apparent, I guess I'll have to switch to posting links to 'off Broadway' musicals about golf...  :-[ ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back