News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

R.I.P.: Bob Rosburg
« on: May 15, 2009, 08:50:45 AM »
Unfortunately the original on-course golf reporter has passed this week.

Sal Johnson has a wonderful essay on his GolfObserver website about Bob Rosburg, followed by links to columns Rosburg wrote for GolfObserver in recent years.

http://www.golfobserver.com/blog/blognews/Rosburg
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Dan Herrmann

Re: R.I.P.: Bob Rosburg
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 09:14:21 AM »
I one played a course who's design was attributed to Mr. Rosburg in San Diego. 

He was a great on-course reporter.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 11:31:26 AM »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Lou_Duran

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
I enjoyed his hyperbolic description of pending recovery shots, and his unabashed praise for the seemingly miraculous results that normally enused.  If I am not mistaken, he was responsible for a very successful line of putters, one which was particularly valued (by me) that got stolen from my son's bag.  He seemed to be one of the good guys and will be missed.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »
Was the Odyssey "Rossie" somehow connected to Rosburg?  I always thought the nicknames were coincidental.  If that is true, well his legend just grows more.

I'd have to say this is a sad day for all golf fans over 25 or so.. the youngers would have no idea.... but Rossie always added great fun to broadcasts.  You described it eloquently, Lou... "he has no chance".. followed by "that was the greatest shot I have ever seen"... that was Rossie!

He will be missed.

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 12:23:51 PM »
thank you for posting Bob Rosburg's passing. A sad day for golf. 

I played two rounds with Bob in the Canadian Open at Pinegrove the week after he had missed a short putt and finsihed second in the US Open.  On Thursday he broke his putter battering the sign behind the 12th green.  On Friday he threw his replacement into the trash bin on the same hole.  I picked it out to give to a friend who was following us, and Kel Nagle suggested, quietly, that I leave it there.  Bob looked back, smiled, asked for the putter, and broke it over his knee, and then gave it away!   He also kept calling me "Pete",  I had been the lucky alternate getting in to play when Pete Brown did not show.

Over the next 30 years I got to love his commentary and the few moments when he made it on camera were something special.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

David Amarnek

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »
My first post as a new GCA member and unfortunately it concerns this sad news.  Bob Rosburg was head pro at my club, Westwood CC in St. Louis, from '67-'69 and was still highly regarded by those members fortunate enough to know him well, despite his brief tenure.
While head professional, he won the PGA National Club Professional championship and finished one stroke back in a T-2 at the U.S. Open in 1969.  That would have given Westwood its second U.S. Open champion, the other being Ed Furgol in '54.  Apparently that success convinced him to return to the PGA tour and we were forced to say farewell.
I'm heading to the club now and am sure there will be plenty of fond recollections discussed by the senior members.  As you said, may he rest in peace.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
i always thought Rossie did a good job

a great Rossie story:  one day during a CBS telecast , when describing an upcoming shot, McCord said"This guy has a real Rosburg lie!"

CBS' producer Chirkinian almost blew off McCord's earpiece :"Dont mention Rosburg on our telecast"!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 03:51:47 PM »
"Jim, he's got no shot." Classic.

Made famous at the 1975 U.S. Open playoff, when Lou Graham's drive on the 18th went through the fairway, into an hairy lie with trees in the path. Rossie intoned, "He's got no shot," and Graham heard it. "There's no such thing as no shot," Graham said he thought at the time, and finagled a low hooking 4-iron recovery that rolled just short of the green. A chip and a putt, Graham had his title, and Rossie had a catch phrase.

RIP, Rossie. Hope you've got a good lie.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 04:14:53 PM »
He was a great scrambler.  I do think the Odyssey "Rossie" was named in his honor.  I may have to go get one just in memoriam, always one of my favorite commentators.  He did get real "gee whiz" when one of the players made an incredible recovery, even though that's what those guys do for a living!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 04:39:17 PM »
To this day if someone ventures deep into the woods, I evitably call out:  "Are you down there, Rossie?"
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JohnV

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:34:41 PM »
Everything I've heard says he was a great guy.

He also won the NCGA Junior in 1944 at Lake Merced and the NCGA Amateur in 1950 beating Ken Venturi on the 38th hole at Pasatiempo.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 09:12:45 PM »
First and foremost Rosburg was a fan.  He loved the game and thought he had the best job in sports being the on-course reporter.  In 1965 I bought my dad some clubs in a department store.  They were "Bob Rosburg" clubs.  My Dad still uses them.  He hasn't even changed the grips!!!I keep telling him I'd like to get him something new or at least new grips.  He (91 year old) tells me "they will last for the duration."
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
Everything I've heard says he was a great guy.

He also won the NCGA Junior in 1944 at Lake Merced and the NCGA Amateur in 1950 beating Ken Venturi on the 38th hole at Pasatiempo.

And the Olympic Club Championship at age 12, defeating Ty Cobb, as all the obituaries are reminding us now.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 10:35:42 PM »
This is a sad day.  I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Rosburg once.  One of his many friends was a member at Marquette Golf Club, and Rossie came up to visit a few years back and spent a weekend without playing any golf.  He did, however, want to check out the new course he'd heard about, called Greywalls.

As the assistant one of my many jobs was to provide tours to prospective members, guests, and anyone else who might be interested in seeing the place, which had then just opened.  I drove Mr. Rosburg around the course in our 6-passenger cart, with him sitting right next to me in the front seat.  Pointing out all the features I'd mentioned a million times to other visitors seemed so surreal when they were accompanied by that familiar voice in my right ear.  I mentioned Mike DeVries's connection to Alister MacKenzie's design style, Mike having spent much of his youth at Crystal Downs, and then noted that Mike had recently done some restoration work at the Meadow Club.

"Do you know the Meadow Club north of San Francisco?" I asked.

He then rattled off about a half dozen tournament victories he'd had at the place, and smiled with a wink in his eye.

I'll always be thankful for that little tour and the chance afterward to buy him a beer.

James Bennett

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 12:17:25 AM »
RIP Bob.

My recollection is that Bob Rosburg held the record for least number of putts in a US PGA Event for many years.  Was it 19 or something similar?  I am quite certain that the Rossie putter was named after Bob Rosburg, perhaps because of this particular record.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
My first post as a new GCA member and unfortunately it concerns this sad news.  Bob Rosburg was head pro at my club, Westwood CC in St. Louis, from '67-'69 and was still highly regarded by those members fortunate enough to know him well, despite his brief tenure.
While head professional, he won the PGA National Club Professional championship and finished one stroke back in a T-2 at the U.S. Open in 1969.  That would have given Westwood its second U.S. Open champion, the other being Ed Furgol in '54.  Apparently that success convinced him to return to the PGA tour and we were forced to say farewell.
I'm heading to the club now and am sure there will be plenty of fond recollections discussed by the senior members.  As you said, may he rest in peace.

David,

Welcome to GCA.  Thank you for sharing your memories on Mr. Rosburg.

I lived in St. Louis for the first 36 years of my life, until 2001.  I had the great pleasure to play Westwood a couple of times and to caddie in many USGA qualifies there.  I have tried a couple of times on this site to explain the greatness of Westwood.

If you are interested, I look forward to your thoughts and descriptions on Westwood sometime in the future.  I certainly think a Westwood discussion would be worthy of its own thread.

Bill Shamleffer

David Amarnek

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
David,

Welcome to GCA.  Thank you for sharing your memories on Mr. Rosburg.

I lived in St. Louis for the first 36 years of my life, until 2001.  I had the great pleasure to play Westwood a couple of times and to caddie in many USGA qualifies there.  I have tried a couple of times on this site to explain the greatness of Westwood.

If you are interested, I look forward to your thoughts and descriptions on Westwood sometime in the future.  I certainly think a Westwood discussion would be worthy of its own thread.

Bill Shamleffer

Bill,
Thanks so much for your welcome.   My story may be the reverse of yours, left Philadelphia for STL to begin my residency and somehow managed to stay and settle in to the midwestern pace of things.
A few others have contacted me with the same request and I will be happy to do so; perhaps I'll go over today and take some pictures and attempt to post them on a new thread.  I have seen some earlier mention of Westwood while I was lurking on GCA and was pleased to witness the high esteem many of you have for the course/club. 
It is a hidden gem and has an interesting history.  Truthfully, little has changed over the years, although we are beginning to remove some trees... it's a start.
Regards,
David

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back