News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Cupit

#18 Butler National
#8 WF East
#17 TPC Sawgrass
Port Armour #15 (I think--downhill, blind tee shot with blind at the bottom of he fairway, then back up to a severe green).
Cuscowilla #14  (It sticks out particularly since the other 17 are so good)
Medalist #5 (the par 3 that is perched up way above everything else)
#5 Golf Club of Georgia Creekside--A Doak "Worst 18" and he was being generous.  Just stoopid ??? :P :o
#18 TPC Sugarloaf in Atlanta

A small caveat--almost all of these courses are very solid so the one hole I really dislike is partly because the rest of the course is good.  Creekside at GCoGA does meet the Doak description however :P

Jim_Coleman

The second at Galloway.  The worst short par three ever built.  The only hole I've ever played with no green.

BCrosby

Mike C.

Wrongo.

The change in elevation tee to green on the 14th at Cusco is only slightly, if any, more than the elevation change on the 2nd at Merion or the 15th at PV. The difference being that the change is more abrupt at mid-hole and there is a (dare I say intriguing?) dip in front of the green. Do you think those two Philly holes are slogs?

I would also note the difference in playing widths. The 2nd at Merion has o.b. all along the right and behind the green. PV offers an ugly death for any ball off the fw, right or left. Both fw's narrow considerably from 200 yards out.

The definition of "capacious" in my dictionary shows a picture of the 14th fw at Cusco. The fw actually widens dramatically as you approach the green. If you like playing choices, you should love the second shot at Cusco. If you don't like playing choices, you will prefer the tight, sphincter lockdown second shots called for by your local legends.

And as an extra bonus for you blinkered Philadelphians, I will point out that the 14th at Cusco has a much more interesting green than either of those holes at Merion or PV.

You need to come back down here and play the hole for a second time.  ;)

Bob 

Brad Swanson

I concur that I'd be happy to play 17 holes again at Cuscowilla and skip the 14th.  Has anyone mentioned the unsightly spectacle bunkers cut into the hill whose sand color stands out from the rest of the other bunkers.  Hell, even our caddy told us he thought the hole was poor.

Cheers,
Brad

Mike_Cirba

Bob,

If my criticisms of the 14th hole at Cuscowilla caused you to wax that prosaically and almost poetically in its defense, I'm thinking of adding my thoughts about the 7th and 12th, as well.  ;)

Bill_McBride

Bill,
But 15 at Cuscowilla has that beautiful green....

15, as Bob says above, is a terrific hole, I'm just usually let down after battling with 14!  The green at 15 is indeed spectacular.

Glenn Spencer

That's the description of a long, uphill par-5 at a well-regarded modern course in the Midwest.

Not *my* description. That's the *course's* description -- at its very own Web site! -- of a hole named "Big Hog." Named, not nicknamed.

I liked the hole, and would like to play it again. (Perhaps I'm a masochist?)

But I wonder, idly: Are there any holes you cannot wait to finish so that you don't have to play them again on courses that you are sorry to finish because you cannot wait to play them again?

I can't think of one, personally.

I liked #15 at Harvester.

Paul Saathoff

I'll agree with Mr. Clouser on Purgatory in Noblesville IN, but I'll add holes 5-18 to the mix.  When I used to play there I was excited about the challenge, but usually upon finishing the fourth, I was ready to go home, my game in shambles. 

Tim Pitner

But I wonder, idly: Are there any holes you cannot wait to finish so that you don't have to play them again on courses that you are sorry to finish because you cannot wait to play them again?

Sure, if you think about it in the context of trying to make a score, then Bandon Trails #14 (for instance) would qualify.

It's not that I dislike BT #14 (in fact, I love it), but when you are playing it, you have to approach it so carefully that you are relieved when you putt out with a reasonable score.  You wouldn't want to face a similarly difficult hole later in the round. 

I'm guessing this is what was meant in The Harvester hole description; they can't be saying that this hole sucks and you won't want to play it again (I made a mess of it, but it's a good hole). 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back