News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Evagues

Granite Links
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:15:29 PM »
Can anyone give information on Granite Links in Quincy,MA? I'm playing ther later this week.  Thanks
Be the ball

Ray Richard

Re: Granite Links
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
It's a John Sanford design built on top of two landfills. Plenty of hills, fantastic views of the Boston skyline and many quirky holes. Plan on plenty of wind, you'll enjoy it.

Michael Powers

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:56:27 PM »
Jeff,
As Ray indicated, there are severe elevation changes and few large trees on the site to stop the wind.  There are several holes which feature hazards that are not visible to the player, which some may consider unfair.  I have not played the new 9, only the original 18.
HP

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
I concur with the two reports above.  I have only played the first 18 as well ($65 to play just 9 after work?  ::)).

If you have an open mind, the course isn't bad, with a few interesting holes.  However, there are a number offering only a target-golf approach, not exactly fitting with the windy nature of the site.  I have played the 18 from both the back tees (67-6800-ish) and the middle tees (61-6200), and found that many shots are much more awkward from the shorter tees, with more lay-ups need even for a player of average length.

They had an MGA Amateur qualifier there a few years ago, and 78 qualified with alternates at 79. 

The course is not great, and they charge "first course built within 10 miles of Boston in 20 years" prices, but spending an hour on top of the hill hitting balls in the breeze with the city and harbor views is certainly unique in Mass...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 09:03:15 AM »
Did a search on Granite Links and came up with this.  Top 100 Public by GD, #20 in Massachusetts including privates!  Certainly not a lot of love shown here.  Hate to join the chorus of bashing of GD rankings but this one really has me befuddled.  Any further comments as to the quality of Granite Links and why it is ranked so highly?

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »
Did a search on Granite Links and came up with this.  Top 100 Public by GD, #20 in Massachusetts including privates!  Certainly not a lot of love shown here.  Hate to join the chorus of bashing of GD rankings but this one really has me befuddled.  Any further comments as to the quality of Granite Links and why it is ranked so highly?

I have played Granite Links and it isn't the worst course in the world, but it isn't the most memorable besides the very good views (like Brad notes above). The design isn't great but it doesn't need to be in a public golf starved area.

The #20 ranking in Mass has more to do with the totally poor options to public golfers in the Boston area. The best I can think of off the top of my head within a T or Bike ride from the city is Newton Commonwealth near BC...which is an old Ross design but butchered beyond belief.

The two courses I played the most while in school there, Brookline and the TPC, where both private. Other than that I didn't play all that much.
H.P.S.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
Pat...thanks for the response, but GD has Granite Links rated #20 in Massachusetts including privates!  I don't get it.

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:02:14 PM »
Pat...thanks for the response, but GD has Granite Links rated #20 in Massachusetts including privates!  I don't get it.

Cliff-

Even including private clubs Boston is pretty top heavy, then falls off very quickly on quality clubs and courses.
H.P.S.

Jay Cox

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 01:04:23 PM »
Cliff, I don't get it either.  Even among the weak close-in Boston options, I'd much rather play George Wright.  But setting aside my preference for Golden Age courses and attempting to apply GD's criteria, there are at least a half dozen Boston/Worcester area courses that should be in the Top 100 before Granite Links is:

Red Tail
Pinehills Nicklaus
Stow Acres North
Wachusett
Shaker Hills
Waverly Oaks

There are a few holes I really liked, such as 7 (a fun short par 4) and 8 (par 5 that rewards clever placement on both the tee shot and the second).  But there are also a few really weird holes.  If I recall correctly, it's very easy to hit what seems like a good drive into the hazard on the par 5 first, and the right play probably is to hit 5-iron, 5-iron, wedge.  And there are a few par 4s on the back nine that felt too short - like they would be much better holes if you can add a new back tee 30-40 yards back.

But the ranking has got to be a function of location and hype.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:42:43 PM by Jay Cox »

Anthony Fowler

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
I have played Granite Links too many times to count because my college practiced there for 3 years while I was on the team.  I would second the comments that it is fun but not great and is overpriced.  The wind, quirk, and firm greens do make for a unique golfing experience.  I wouldn't pay those greens fees now after having played the course so much, but it could be worth it if you've never played it.  Milton, MA is on record as being the windiest town in America and the course is right next door sitting up on a hill.  If you play it on a calm day, you've definitely missed out on the experience.

There are three 9's.  Granite is the old front, Milton is the old back, and Quincy is the new 9.  The best 2, if you have the choice are Milton and Quincy in that order.  Milton is the most straightforward 9 with some very good holes and beautiful views.  Quincy is very quirky with some blind shots, funny stances, and a few demanding shots.  If you just trying to have fun and don't mind any funny bounces or lost balls, then Quincy is the one to play.  Granite is also quirky, but not as fun at Quincy.  Nonetheless, if you don't mind quirk, lost balls, weird bounces, etc. then Granite is worth the trip as well.   

A few suggestions for playing the course:  You will see some VERY strange holes at Granite Links.  Go ahead and embrace them.

Granite 1: This is the par 5 that Jay said was perplexing.  I would hit a 210 shot off the tee (from the tips) right at the green (way left of where it seems you should aim).  This will leave a 210-230 shot for your second.

Granite 8: (Par 5) This hole is easily reachable in 2 but you have no margin for error and you won't be able to see a thing on your second.  Probably not worth the risk, but you have to play your second well the right of where you think to be successful.

Granite 9: (short par 4) Most people lay too far back on this one.  Go ahead and hit driver if you're into the wind.  Aim right at the middle of the clubhouse.  You think you'll go through the fairway but you won't.  If there is minimal wind into you, you might be able to get a nice bounce onto the green.  I hit one of the luckiest shots of my life and made a double-eagle 1 this way.

Quincy 7: (short par 4)You can easily get on or around the green with a 250 shot.  You need to hit it farther to the right and shorter than you think.

Quincy 8: (long par 3) This is probably the hardest hole on the property.  You have to hit the green or be in a hazard.  It sounds silly, but on windy days the best play is to lay up in the rough.  Hit a pitching wedge at the front tee box and take your chances with a wedge.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »
Here are just some of the Mass. privates south of Boston that don't make the top 20 list: Sankaty Head, Plymouth, Hyannisport, Wianno, Bay Club.  Again, the inclusion of Granite Links might be the worst of any on the Golf Digest lists.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 02:44:30 PM »

There are three 9's.  Granite is the old front, Milton is the old back, and Quincy is the new 9.  The best 2, if you have the choice are Milton and Quincy in that order.  Milton is the most straightforward 9 with some very good holes and beautiful views.  Quincy is very quirky with some blind shots, funny stances, and a few demanding shots.  If you just trying to have fun and don't mind any funny bounces or lost balls, then Quincy is the one to play.  Granite is also quirky, but not as fun at Quincy.  Nonetheless, if you don't mind quirk, lost balls, weird bounces, etc. then Granite is worth the trip as well.   

And to top it off the Granite/Milton nines are the two chosen by GD. 

Ray Richard

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 08:31:51 AM »
The design was limited by a ton of environmental regulations, severe grades, and the importation of 11 million cubic yards of dirt on top of two existing dumps. This gives the tract a perched up effect.

The golf construction shaping involved a three-stage process. Shaping started with a bulldozer establishing golf forms in the existing dump material. This subgrade received a thick layer of capping material to seal the landfill material.The cap had to duplicate the golf course forms, but some of the effect got lost in the process. The final shaping occurred in the plantable soil layer, a few feet of sand and organic material used to grow the turf. When you shape a course in three layers, the sharpness of the final product suffers. You can try to sharpen up the lower subgrades to increase the final grade aesthetics.

John Sanford worked on the project for many years. I worked on the project for a year, and I saw his dedication and resolve get the job done. He will design the Fresh Kills project in New York City.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »
I hear that Ray, it had to have been a difficult project with the landfill, the quarries, and all the dirt being trucked in from the Big Dig.

Concerning GL, I might have to dust off that old chestnut, "It is what it is."

Like I said above, the course isn't all bad, but there are a number of holes where you just scratch your head.

It's ranking of #20 in Mass., and in the 60s in the top 100 US public is laughable at best, but I fully admit that I have a slight bias towards old and quirky as opposed to new and brawny.  I would not, however, call GL innovative in any way.  It seems to have several good "showcase" holes that the other holes are shoehorned around.  It sounds like this was the best option with the difficult building conditions available.  I suppose several standout and several puzzler holes are better than 27 mediocre or bad holes.  After seeing all three 9s, I think the middle 9 is the best, which was the back nine on the original 18.  I was hoping the new 9 would help make a better 18 than the original, but I don't think it does.  The new nine is wider than the other two which creates some fun in the wind, but there are the obligatory 2-3 strange holes on that 9 too.

Great 1 on #9-Granite Anthony, but I think it is by far the worst hole of the 27.  It sets up right next to the clubhouse to be the most important and best hole on the property, but in 8-10 plays and two google-earth measuring-tool research sessions,  I have yet to figure it out.  I think driver there, your 1 notwithstanding, is suicidal there.  I have hit every club from Driver down to 4-iron into the clubhouse quarry.  I almost think at this point, 6-iron-wedge is the play.  There really is no landing area directly over the quarry, and you can never see where your ball goes so you can learn for the next time...

So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back