News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Re: Sergio apologizes
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2009, 11:15:27 PM »
David,
    Why does Allenby get such a negative reception at home? Does he have some sort of reputation that spectators get after him? Is it all golf-related or is there something else going on?
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David_Elvins

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »
David,
    Why does Allenby get such a negative reception at home? Does he have some sort of reputation that spectators get after him? Is it all golf-related or is there something else going on?
Ed,

Chris Kane will have more of an idea than me.

I don't think he is universally hated, but he has reacted a few times so now people stir him up a bit.

I think he basically takes himself a bit seriously.  He is often surly with the gallery on the course, goes through Caddy's at a great rate, and lists a different injury after every bad round (his caddy had a stomach bug was my favorite).   

There is also a dodgy story of buying himself out of trouble but I dont know if it is true or if the wider public has any idea about it.

PS I owe you an email.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 02:38:06 PM »
David,

The behaviour of the crowd at Royal Sydney was appalling. Not surprising when you consider the club hosting the event though..

Allenby has a rather dystopian view of society. I approached him after the final round at the Deutsche Bank in 2007, asking what he thought of TPC Boston with a view towards finding out his favorite courses on the PGA Tour and how they compared to his favorites in Australia.

He gave me the dead-eye and asked if I wanted him to sign my hat, which featured an "Old Course-St. Andrews" embroidery. When he handed it back, it said "Good f---ing course. Robt. Allenby." And off he went.

On the other hand he might just be a funny a__hole.
Next!

Pat Burke

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2009, 04:05:58 PM »
All I really know about Robert is that when Stuart Appleby tragically lost his wife,
Robert and his family were very much there to help Stuart get through it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back