News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Most influential...and best preserved...
« on: March 29, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Of which architect, who was a serious influence on the development of golf architecure, can it be claimed that he/she has the most courses still intact?

Adam_F_Collins

Re: Most influential...and best preserved...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 09:44:27 PM »
Jones?

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 11:48:01 PM »
Well... what do you mean by preserved? Like untouched by another architect? Or if it has been what changes are allowed? What if it changed over time, then all put back (like oakmont with the tree removal). Are we talking "shot values" preserved or physically the same (yardage, contours, trees and tees)?

Almost all of the old stuff has changed. If it was built in the US before Tilly, then he probably took out a bunker here or there, working for the pga. If it was built during the golden age, it was probably changed by RTJ.

You could say Pete Dyes courses are probably the most influential courses because not only are there so many, and so many other great architects that have worked under him, but if there is work to be done, it is normally pete making the changes (at least to my knowledge).

Brian Phillips

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 02:33:25 AM »
Colt
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 02:36:30 AM »
Braid

BCrosby

Re: Most influential...and best preserved... New
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:39 AM »
I understand Colt's influence on the evolution of gca.

I've never understood Braid's. What is the claim for Braid as an important influence on the direction of gca?

Bob
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:10:00 PM by BCrosby »

tlavin

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »
Ross would by my entry.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back