News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Feature Interview with Robin Nelson is posted
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
While Ran is away and keeping with the 2008 theme of architect interviews, I’m pleased to announce this month’s interview with Robin Nelson.  Robin is one of those quiet architects, developing a very large portfolio.  With his partners Neil Haworth and Brett Mogg, they have built nearly 10% of the courses in China and 20% of the courses in Hawaii.    The firm, Nelson & Haworth now operate out of offices in San Francisco, Shanghai and Singapore.

In 2008 they received the award of Best New Course in Asia, Kau Sai Chau located in Hong Kong.

Enjoy.

Mike_Cirba

Re: Feature Interview with Robin Nelson is posted
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:45:06 PM »
As mentioned in the article, Robin Nelson built a very good course in upstate Victor, NY called Ravenwood.

Unfortunately, the hole pictured in the interview is one of the only rote moments on the course.   Most of the rest of the course is much more imaginative stuff.

Thanks, Joel..

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:51:39 PM »
Actually, that par three is better than the one over water on the back.  The one I despise has an RTJ Senior-style cistern for lack of creativity.  With the exception of #17, I think that the short holes are the weakest part of Ravenwood.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

JNC Lyon

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:58:27 PM »
I agree with the Ravenwood comments.  The routing is certainly the strength of the golf course, as are the fives (all in different directions) and the short fours.  2 and 7 are two of my favorite short par fours anywhere!  It's good to see some more recognition of this course on the site.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
I would really like to hear a review from someone who has played the Jockey Club (Kau Sai Chau) in Hong Kong.   I have heard that because of the smog, clear days like the ones in the photos are rare.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 07:15:11 PM »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »
Joel

I haven't gotten around to the Jockey Club yet, but you can thank the global slowdown for cleaner air in HK!

Here are a few pics of Discovery Bay from last March, when the smog was as bad as I ever had seen it:

What the heck, let's smog it up with the HKGC (nee Royal Hong Kong), too:

Mark

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back