News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Fiona Pike RIP
« on: March 21, 2009, 09:52:38 PM »
Some of you may have seen Fiona Pike when she played on the US Ladies PGA Tour, and previously on the European Tour.  Fiona passed away on Thursday aged 44.  She was diagnosed with an invasive skin cancer only a few short years ago.

Fiona took up golf relatively late in life after her outstanding squash career was cut short through injury.  She played at my club (Blackwood in Adelaide) and was taught by our pro at that time Murray Crafter.  She was a great student of the game and embraced his teaching well.  To have progressed to the US Tour after taking up golf in her 20's speaks of her natural sporting ability and application.  She finished second in the British Open (at Woking I think).

Fiona was the most pleasant, friendly and diligent lass you could ever hope to meet.

My condolences to her husband, her family and friends.

In recent times, Fiona has championed Skin Cancer Awareness.  A skin cancer diagnosed at an early stage can be managed. 

Fiona will be missed.  Fiona will always be remembered.

James Bennett

Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Neil_Crafter

Re: Fiona Pike RIP
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »
Well said James.
Fiona was a lovely lady, very kind and dedicated to golf. A good player who definitely made the most of her abilities.
My sister Jane visited with her last month when she was out in Australia and it was apparent she did not have much time left. She will be sadly missed and my condolences to her family.
Neil

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:44:59 AM »
My fair-skinned family has always suffered from skin cancers.  We lost a cousin to melanoma, a second occurrence 10 years after the first.  I have had four skin cancers but luckily no melanomas.  Those are the killers.  The time and lotion spent on SPF 30++ sun block are worth more than you can ever know.

James Bennett

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:24:16 AM »
Bill

I have had one melanoma.  Fortunately, early diagnosis enabled it to be removed before the cancer had penetrated the epidermis. 

Golfer's ear (the location of the melanoma).  That makes three golfer's ears that I now know of - two have been early enough for effective removal.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back