News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Which courses have the best collection of UPHILL holes?
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2018, 09:02:07 AM »
It’s been years since I played there, but Spyglass Hill has quite a collection.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tim Gallant

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »
Surprised no one has mentioned Eastward Ho! I like the uphill holes because they all seem different. 1 approach, 6 approach, 7 tee, 8 approach, and 18 approach. It seems like you are hitting different clubs into those greens. Some will still accept running shots, while others require flight all the way there.

Evan_Green

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »
I will add a few more courses that I haven't seen mentioned with very good collection of uphill holes and/or shots

- Stone Eagle
- Nanea
- Kapalua Plantation
- The Country Club, Brookline

As an aside around uphill holes, it just came to mind the an interesting routing around uphill holes is Timberstone (UP Michigan) - slowly climbs uphill for the first 16 holes and gives back all the elevation on the last 2 holes

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2018, 11:38:06 AM »
I'll nominate both courses at Olympia Fields.  The South probably has more uphill holes out of the two, with 6, 7, 9, 12, 16 and 18 being the standouts.  On the North 3, 13, 14 and 17 are a worth grouping.

Beverly has a few noteworthy additions, including 5, 7 and 16 and although a less dramatic elevation change the 14th.

The best uphill hole in Chicago might be the 8th at Skokie.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bill Vogeney

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2018, 11:48:28 PM »
Not only does Prairie Dunes have 4 awesome uphill par 3’s, but the uphill shot to the 8th hole (par 4 420 yards from the white tees) plus the approach to the par 5 17th have to put it seriously in contention

Ted Sirbaugh

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2018, 12:19:35 AM »
2-6 at Rock Creek are all excellent uphill holes. They take you quite a good bit up, but do so in a way that doesn't really feel like it. I find they often get less credit than some of the other holes, but it is a great stretch in its own right.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2018, 03:30:31 AM »

Ogden in Yorkshire is a masterclass in how to climb a substantial height through a long number of holes without it either overtaxing the golfer or becoming boring. It takes well over half the course to climb to the top and most of that height is decended by the spectacular drop shot par 3 17th. Well worth a trip out to play if you are anywhere in the Halifax region.

Jon

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2018, 07:13:58 AM »
Sleepy Hollow in Scarborough, NY and Swope Memorial in St Louis, Mo have some good ones. Most are not completely uphill (like #2 and #18 at Sleepy), while others only require an uphill tee shot or an uphill approach.  Both courses present a pretty wide variety (and many) uphill shots and some of their holes have uphill and downhill shots possible on the same hole.

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »
Is there a distinction being made between uphill holes and uphill approaches?

Sand Hills has a high number of uphill approach shots. A few too many in my opinion -- I actually think it's one of the weaknesses of the course. But since it's held in such high regard, it would have to qualify as having one of the best collection.
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Mike Schott

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2018, 07:48:01 PM »
Some of Oakland Hills South's best holes are uphill. 9, 11, 17, approach to 18. It's been a few years since I've walked it so there may be more. One thing is certain, Ross used the land very well.

RichMacafee

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2018, 12:16:47 AM »
2,3,9,11,14,17 at Oakmont
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:52 AM »
Old Town.

#5, #7, #9(!), #16(!), #18
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Tim Martin

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:48 AM »
Fishers Island
Drives on 4 and 9

mike_malone

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
I think Flynn excelled here because he tried where possible to use the ridge and place the green at the top. Sometimes he goes with the slope of the land for the green and sometimes he goes against it.

Rather than putting trees , ponds, or bunkers all over the place he felt that the land was the best hazard. That’s why his downhill approaches are also fun.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back