News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Why are Mounds Vilified?
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »
In an effort to reinvigorate this post, I'd love to see some pictures of the best mounding examples you can think of?  Many thanks.

Formby uses mounding, both natural and man-made very effectively and with great variety on several holes. 

A closer look at the green

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:37:53 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Joe Hancock

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
Sean,

You saved this response in what I thought was sure to be a downward spiral of our GCA moral fiber.....

Thanks for keeping it about golf...... ;D....although your pictures are quite arousing......

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Sean_A

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:02 AM »
The use of mounding at Beau Desert is generally not very subtle, but they are effective and add interest.  For instance, I couldn't imagine Colt using some of these babies perhaps because they really stand out.

This huge mound on #5 cuts off the angle of approach from the easy to hit right side of the fairway.

More greenside mounding on #12.  To be honest, I am nt sure what these are about!

On #16 we see the classic green frame mounding - almost pointing the corners of the green.

#17 mounds creating a bottle neck effect.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 10:48:49 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Jay Kirkpatrick

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »
thanks... thats exactly what i was looking for.  any others from the group would be greatly appreciated.

jay

Damon Groves

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:49 PM »
If mounding is done simply in an attempt to frame the hole to add some "naturalness" then it tends to come of artificial. However, my home course is Santa Anita Golf Course in Arcadia CA. It was built in 1938 from absolutely flat land as it used to be the original site of the race track and then an Army ballon airfield. The land was transformed into some incredible mounding that is integral to the strategy of each hole. A fine example of what good mounding can look like.

Go to Geoff Shackelfordzs site and click on Journal Topics and then look for Golf As It Should Be Files for more on Santa Anita. 

Jay - I posted this a while back and this is just one hole. Many of the wholes feature this mounding and plays very natural.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2009, 03:22:48 AM »
Taken from the write up in Courses by Country section.

Mackenzie perfected these before he built ANGC. (I believe)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back