News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Rules question
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:16:10 PM »
Hey guys and gals...

I need to get the facts on the following.

Player a is on the green 50 yards from the pin. Player b is 15 yards
 from the pin but in the rough.

Neither is sure who is suppose to play first so they proceed to hit at near the same time and their balls hit one another in motion.

So, first off, who is suppose to play first in this situation?

Secondly, is either of them subject to a penalty?

Last, how should they play their balls following them hitting one another?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Moore II

Re: Rules question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 03:27:25 PM »
Hey guys and gals...

I need to get the facts on the following.

Player a is on the green 50 yards from the pin. Player b is 15 yards
 from the pin but in the rough.

Neither is sure who is suppose to play first so they proceed to hit at near the same time and their balls hit one another in motion.

So, first off, who is suppose to play first in this situation?

Secondly, is either of them subject to a penalty?

Last, how should they play their balls following them hitting one another?

OK, I am not going to quote the rules here, but the players fartherest from the pin plays first; in this case the player on the green. Assuming this is stroke play, neither player is subject to penalty; however in match play the player fartherest from the hole could require the player nearest to replay his shot. The player who played out of turn from the putting green would be required to replace his ball and replay his shot. I think I got it right this time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:36:06 PM by John K. Moore »

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »
Michael,

As John said, the player who is away plays first regardless of who is on the green or off.

Lets take the two forms of play separately.

In match play, Player A should play first.  If B plays before him, A could recall the shot before taking any action.  But, since he hit at the same time, he lost the right to recall.  Rule 19-5b says that if two balls in motion strike each other, they are played as they lie and no penalty is incurred.  If the two balls were hit simultaneously everything ends there.  BUT, if A had hit his ball first and B played while A's ball was in motion from a stroke ON the putting green, B would have been in violation of Rule 16-1f since it was not B's turn to play.  B would lose the hole.

In stroke play, A should play first, but there is no penalty if B plays before him.  If the two balls struck each other while in motion, it depends on the status of A to B.  If A and B are partners, the balls will be played as they lie.  If A and B were fellow competitors, B's ball would be played as it lies, but A's ball, which was struck from the putting green would have been deflected by a moving outside agency and the stroke would be canceled and would have to be replayed (Rule 19-1b).  Again, if B played after A, B would have been in violation of Rule 16-1f and be penalized 2 strokes.

Jamey Bryan

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:43:43 PM »
I need to go back and reread this tomorrow when I haven't had several drinks! I think I had it right, but have a headache thinking about it.

Jamey

John Moore II

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
I need to go back and reread this tomorrow when I haven't had several drinks! I think I had it right, but have a headache thinking about it.

Jamey

Well, Sir, if your thoughts differ much from the Esteemed Mr. Vander Borght, you're likely not correct, drunk or not.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back