News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

Copper Hill Country Club; Flemington/Ringoes, NJ
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:54 PM »
I don't know much about this club in Hunterdon County, right on US 202.  One of the holes appears to have a split fairway; something about it reminded me of Tillinghast's Reef hole.  In comparing it to Bethpage Yellow's 12th hole, which was a Reef at one point, I could see some faint resemblance. 

What's the story here?
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Phil_the_Author

Re: Copper Hill Country Club; Flemington/Ringoes, NJ
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:01:04 AM »
Doug,

Most who are aware of Tilly's "Reef" design are unaware that other architects designed holes of this type even before he did. In his article "The Reef Hole" in Golf Illustrated, Tilly wrote, "A similar hole was originated by me at Newport, and variations to suit conditions have been constructed on other courses with gratifying results.

Having never seen the hole you mention I can't comment on whether it might qualify as one of these, but based upon your description of it it would appear that it isn't a "Reef" type of hole, at least according to how Tilly defined it. Consider Tilly's definition:

"It is the thought of some that the one-shot hole needs only to provide a teeing-ground and a green with immediately surrounding hazards. But as a matter of fact the approach is of incalculable value when constructed to lend finesse to the play..."

So Tilly first limits the "Reef" type to par-three's. I believe the hole you mention is a par-four.

He prefaces the above with, "My sketch [for those that want to see it just visit the Tillinghast Association website at www.tillinghast.net] generally describes a length of approximately two hundred and twenty-five yards (or with this playing length under normal conditions)..."

He further defines it this way, "The outstanding feature of the type, is provided by a ridge, graded naturally in diagonal meandering across the fairway, dividing it into distinct areas. The way to the greenon the left [as shown in his sketch] is only for the courageous with a long shot directly over the large pit. On the right, the less ambitious may find a comfortable route well satisfied if a careful 4 goes on the card...

"Four tee shots are indicated by the dotted lines [again, see the sketch] Two are quite obvious, I think - the raking shot home and the careful two-to0the-green to the right. Another shows the deflection into a pit from a long, off-line shot on the right. The other may need a bit of scrutiny for it represents a kick to the green from a slightly pulled shot into the throw on the extreme left of the fairway, a dangerous chance, however, is the distance is not guaged nicely, for pits for and aft wait for erring...

"This hole places a premium on accurate placement from the tee... I named the type "The Reef" because of the diagonal spine which suggested threadherous reef water outside the harbor."

An example of a "Reef" hole by another architect can be found on the Cherry Valley CC on Long Island. It is the 13th hole and was one of the original nine holes designed by Walter Travis in 1916. The "Reef" feature on this is the bunker that separates the fairway areas.

Matt_Ward

Re: Copper Hill Country Club; Flemington/Ringoes, NJ
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 02:31:15 PM »
Doug:

If there's a "resemblance" -- you are quite correct it's really very "faint" indeed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back