News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bryan Bergner

The Wisconsin Golf Course Superintendents Association is running an online auction from May 2nd - 9th.  It's titled PAR 4 Research (play a round for research).  We're donating the proceeds to the Wisconsin Turfgrass Association to help research at UW-Madison.  We've gathered rounds of golf from numerous courses around WI, both private and public.  It's a great opportunity to play some of Wisconsin's finest courses and help out a good cause.  Feel free to visit the site to preview the courses.

http://www.PAR4Research.com

Bryan Bergner
Assistant Supt. Westmoor CC

Brendan Dolan

Re: WI Golf Course Supt. Associations PAR 4 Research Online Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14:06 PM »
As a recent UW turf grad I can tell you that this is a worthy cause.  The OJ Noer Turf Research Facility is a great place, and the Proffesors at UW are top notch!   Here is the list of courses that are participating in the Par 4 Research Online Auction:

·        American Legion GG
·        Autumn Ridge Golf Course
·        Butte Des Morts CC
·        Evergreen Golf Course
·        Greenwood Hills CC
·        Hidden Glen Golf Club
·        Mid Vallee Golf Course
·        Nakoma Golf  Club
·        Old Hickory Golf Club
·        Rolling Meadows Golf Course
·        Shamrock Heights
·        Trout Lake Golf Club
·        Westmoor Country Club
·        Zimmerman's Kettle Hills
·        Luck Golf Course
·        Lauderdale Lakes GC
·        Drugan's Castle Mound
·        Geneval National Golf Club
·        Prairie Woods Golf Course
·        Blackhawk Country Club
·        Blackwolf Run or Whistling Staits
      Irish Course
·        Bull's Eye CC
·        Oconomowoc Golf Club
·        Fox Hollow Golf Course
·        The Club at Strawberry Creek
·        North Brook Country Club
·        Green Bay CC
·        Two Oaks North
·        Edgewood Golf Course
·        Abbey Springs GC
·        Bass Lake CC
·        Stoughton Country Club
·        Trappers Turn Golf Club
·        Oshkosh Country Club
·        Chenequa Country Club
·        Fox Valley Golf Club
·        Spooner Golf Club
·        Westridge Golf Course
·        North Hills Country Club
·        Utica Golf Club
·        Oneida Golf and CC
·        Brown Deer Park GC
·        Eau Claire Golf and CC
·        Timber Ridge Golf Club
·        Spring Brook Golf Club
·        Rhinelander Country Club
·        Tuckaway Country Club
·        North Shore Country Club
·        The Bull at Pinehurst Farms
·        Waupaca Country Club
·        North Hills Country Club
·        Geneva National Golf Club

Unfortunately haven't been able to play all of them, but there are several excellent courses on the list!  The one's I am most familiar with our Chenequa CC, Oconomowoc GC, and Westmoor CC. 

Chenequa is a sporty course, with about half the holes playing on the lower half of the property, while the others are located on a hill top.  The lower holes 1-7 and 15-18(I think) are really undulating and interesting.  The upper holes are flat, but still provide interest.  The 16th is my favorite hole at Chenequa.  It is a par 4 that bends hard to the left.  The land dips ubruptly about 150 to 200 yards off the tee, making the tee shot blind.  The approach shot is no gimmie either.

Oconomowoc Golf Club is one of two Donald Ross courses in Wisconsin.  Like Chenequa it is shorter but very enertaining.  The course is blesed with great topography, and the layout takes full advantage of it.  I beleive there are two approach shots where the green is set just after a dip in the topography.  This cuases the the green surface to be blind but the top half of the pin is visible, which is a very neat trick as it causes the golfer to think twice before pulling the trigger.
Here is a picture of the difficult one shot 12th Oconomowoc GC:

Westmoor Country Club recently completed a course renovation in 2009, where they tried to capture a William Langford feel.  Mission accomplished!  The course not only looks great, but challenges the golfer mentally and physically.  The 7th and 8th are amoung my favorite on the front side.  The 7th is a difficult uphill par four, while the 8th is reachable par 5 with a difficult layup if one does not hit a good drive.  The 12th is my favorite hole on the back nine.  The golfer must work the ball off the tee around a large oak tree if they hope to reach the green in regulation on this difficult par 4.
Par 3 third at Westmoor

Go Badgers,

Brendan

Bryan Bergner

Re: WI Golf Course Supt. Associations PAR 4 Research Online Auction
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 05:22:09 PM »
We recently added a few more courses to the auction roster, including Ozaukee Country Club and tickets to this years PGA Championship @ Whistling Straights.  Bidding is now open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back