News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Which hole is this? 1
« on: January 09, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
As a change from aerials of golf courses, I thought I'd give you some well-known holes to identify. This is the distinctive closing hole of a course in the British Isles.

Kyle Harris

Re: Which hole is this? 1
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 10:55:09 AM »
18 at Hoylake?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »
16 at Hoylake? I remember reading something about this hole before The Open Championship. (See how I didn't called it The British Open)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 10:59:07 AM »
16 at Hoylake? I remember reading something about this hole before The Open Championship. (See how I didn't called it The British Open)

I think we might be on the same page here. Wasn't the course rerouted for that particular Open?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 11:00:04 AM »

I think we might be on the same page here. Wasn't the course rerouted for that particular Open?

Something like that. Didn't they move the range to a course across the street because that range in the aerial is to short?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »
Or is that #1?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 11:07:43 AM »
It can't be Hoylake 16/18, since there seems to be a pond below the tee, and as we know from a recent thread, any proper links course will NOT have a pond anywhere near it.....

Ooops!  Looks like that "pond" is the 15/17 green!  Were you using stealth photography, Mark?

James Boon

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
I can see where you guys are coming from but pretty certain its not Hoylake? But you are both spot on with the other Hoylake facts. Have to say though, that I'm not sure where this aerial is myself...

Cheers

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 11:13:17 AM »
... any proper links course will NOT have a pond anywhere near it.....

Rich,

Royal County Down's 17th? Burnham & Berrow's 7th? Royal Birkdale 5th? Pretty certain though that these are all natural wet areas that have been cleaned up a bit around the edges rather than the wee man made pond on the Eden?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 11:19:55 AM »
James

If you read my response to that earlier thread you would know that I was being ironic when I made the post you quoted.  Of course there are naturally occurring ponds on linksland.  You and I know that, but there are many blissfully ignorant purists on this site who think otherwise. :o ;)

Rich

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:44:49 AM »
18 Royal Dublin?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 11:48:01 AM »

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 11:49:35 AM »
Spot on Jeff, final hole at Royal Dublin. I can see why Royal Liverpool came to mind as the hole is similar to the 1st (or 3rd as it was played in the Open) except that that particular hole at Hoylake has no bunkers.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »
Oops! :-[

Bill_McBride

Re: Which hole is this? 1 New
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »
It can't be Hoylake 16/18, since there seems to be a pond below the tee, and as we know from a recent thread, any proper links course will NOT have a pond anywhere near it.....

Royal County Down will be disappointed to learn it's not a "proper links course!' (Think #17..... ::) )

EDIT:  i should have read the rest of the thread betore posting the above!

That's quite a hole in Mark's photo, the dogleg appears to be a bit more than 90 degrees!  Is it all OB in the corner?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 12:00:42 PM by Bill_McBride »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back