News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike McGuire

Re: Photo tour of Huntingdon Valley
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2008, 12:08:21 PM »

Thanks to the individual hole photos by Joe Bausch lets start discussing tree removal behind particular holes and greens.

Would a skyline green be a nice end here?

TEPaul

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2008, 01:07:08 PM »
"Would a skyline green be a nice end here?"

MikeM:

It sure would be to me but that's a suggestion that would probably be a real uphill battle with the club. It would be the only real "sky" line situation on the course I think. To even consider removing some of the trees that backdrop #18 one certainly needs to look at the backdrop behind #9 C Nine as some of them are the same trees.

But there are a number of other backdrops behind holes that wouldn't be actual "sky" backdrops but if the trees behind a number of greens such as #1, #2, #6, #7 etc were removed the green backdrop would produce long backdrop views that would essentially accomplish the same thing. Plus from the clubhouse etc it would expose some really attractive long vistas of the valley and the holes and natural topography between them.

I'd like to go out there and really walk through the divisions between some of the holes but I think a really awesome exposure would be to take out most of the trees between #6 and #7 and the holes to their left, even though I am mindful that particularly #11 does and probably always should have particular trees to maintain its tree related strategies. And probably the tee shot on #12  too (a few of the trees on the left just over the creek are strategically important to some extent.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:12:42 PM by TEPaul »

Mike McGuire

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2008, 01:19:05 PM »
duplicate post
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:24:30 PM by Mike McGuire »

Mike McGuire

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

Not sure where the landing area is but missing right looks like death anyway. Why block the bunker views with vegetation? Could seeing the bunkers in the distance suck you into hitting down the right - or is it just to far?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:25:32 PM by Mike McGuire »

JESII

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »
Mike,

Several of those trees to the right in that last picture could come out and greatly benefit the visual aspect of the tee shot...the top two or three are vital to protecting the corner for longer hitters though so I would discourage removing them.

About the skyline view from a couple posts earlier, those trees are at least 100 yards beyond the back edge of the green. I don't think they help distance guaging at all.

I don't know what the rule of thumb is for bunkers populating bland versus exciting terrain, but I have long felt Huntingdon Valley could be every bit as good, fun, interesting, strategic, difficult etc...with about 40% of the bunkers it currently has...

it would probably be more difficult because of the greenside terrain.

Re: #A-5, most balls that miss that bunker do go in the water. The uncertainty of it's current setup should ring true on here to those that like "luck" and "random results". A ball in the air headed towards the bunker could go in the creek, in the bunker, plugged in the bunker, in the grass with a very difficult stance, or on a nice flat spot with a reasonable chance at par...seems OK to me.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »

HV looks like an amazing course on terrific terrain.  I know Scott the super is a one of the best.

It looks like the property features some excellent stands of native hardwoods. Not to be disrespectful but some of the interior ornamental trees seem to detract from the setting.

JESII

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2008, 02:04:41 PM »
Mike,

The ornamental population is thinning, perhaps slower than some wish, but thinning none the less.

That 'weeping something' is interesting because it gets alot of action and would look much more in place in a large public arboretum or something...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back