News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kyle Harris

The 3 Things I Learned From: Paxon Hollow
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »
In an effort to find a new way to analyze a golf course, I'd like to present to the board a thread, in hopefully a series, that looks into 3 things that one can learn from a certain golf course. While most of the focus here will be around the Philadelphia area, I hope others will pick up the concept.

I'll start with Paxon Hollow Golf Club, located in Marple Township, PA. The course is owned by the township and was designed by Franklin Meehan and Francis Warner, opening in 1927.

The course is interesting because it offers a golf course of 5700 yards playing to a par of 71, with 5 par 3s and 4 par 5s. The hilly terrain makes the course play significantly longer and the golfer is faced with a variety of shots where distance is a secondary consideration to such things as trajectory and shot shape.

1: Short Par 4s which force selection of a tee shot distances between 200-250 yards can be effective in making the other longer holes play much more difficult.
Let's consider 5 of the holes at Paxon Hollow which play in the 270-350 range, all of which traverse some of the more severe portions of the property.

We start out of the gate with such a hole: #1 The line indicates 200 yards from the middle of the teeing ground. The area left of the cart path is a deep depression and the fairway is cut along the top rim of this. The green is a peninsula where long or left drops toward the bottom of the hill. Suffice it to say, left is death, while bailing out right or through the dogleg leaves an unfortunate angle. Immediately, the golfer is asked a question he will be presented many times at Paxon; "Are you able to determine which club, trajectory, and line of approach best place your tee ball in position to attack this green?" Since the hole is devoid of any framing features, it is initially very difficult for the golfer to determine if the aggressive line toward the green is even conceivable. We know the fairway is reachable, and the chasm able to be traversed - but along which line? How much right-to-left ball flight is acceptable?

The question is varied several times throughout the round - with the first being the sole example with little elevation change from tee-to-fairway-to-green.

The 5th presents a slightly longer, but more downhill example:

The dogleg reversed and the green is a much more tempting target at the 10th:

An uphill proposition follows at the 13th, with similar catastrophe awaiting the careless shot out to the left:

And finally, the tighter uphill 16th, where the tee shot is slightly blind:

2: The 5th par 3 can offer more flexibility in routing, club selection and interest.

Paxon's par 3s are excellent, and 4 of the 5 would be stand outs in most any routing. From the uphill, skyline 8th, the treacherous drop shot 17th, the wedge shot to the well contoured 2nd and the downright frightening 15th, it is rare that any golf course offers a set of one-shotters where 5 different clubs are pulled from the bag let alone ones which place such demands on precision and decision making.

Even more appealing is the use of the par 3 to traverse awkward spots in the routing. Even the as-of-yet unmentioned 4th, which is by no means a pushover, fulfills the purpose of moving the golfer from the perched 3rd green to the necessary angle to again attack the chasm on the 5th hole. Paralleling this in the opposite direction is the 8th, which moves the golfer from the corner 7th green to the 9th tee shot, presenting perhaps the sternest two hole set on the golf course.

However, no discussion of the routing of the par 3s is complete without the mention of the 17th, where no more than lob wedge can be used to attain a birdie putt, but inaccuracy will lead to prayers for the bogey putt. While the original routing had the 18th tee originally near the 15th green, the change of 18 to a par presented the problem of getting from the new 16th green, high above the creek valley, to the 18th tee along the creek. By creating a green within an angry mule's kick from the 15th tee, the renovation added a dramatic, and note-worthy penultimate challenge, where many a match may have been extended to the par 5 home hole.

3: When the short holes are done very well, even "breather" long holes with little noteworthiness to them present challenges.

While the two par 5s on the second nine are highlights of the round, the three-shotters on the front are quite awkward to the first timer, and when taken out of context of the golf course offer very little architecturally. However, with a stable of short, tricky holes like Paxon Hollow, even the simplest of the longer holes will present comparative challenges that can wreck a round.

For example, the non-descript 7th, which would be a lightning rod for criticism at most other courses. A sweeping right-angle dogleg left, a tee ball of more than 220 yards is likely to find the outside rough, and there is little apparent value in challenging the OB right. However, with golfers coming off the severe and tight 6th hole, and with the difficult 8th and 9th tee shots lying ahead, such an open hole presents an urgency to score well on such a non-descript hole. It is with this mind game that the 7th can bare it's simple, but razor sharp, teeth. Complacency in the tee shot can lead to an awkward angle from which to hit the second, and an overly aggressive line in attempting to reach the green in two can find any number of hazards, including tree limbs, bunkers, and OB.

It is in this manner that Paxon Hollow presents its breather holes, not as the typical driver-wedge par 4 with few hazards, but with choices on seemingly easy shots which call on the golfer to absolve himself of all preconceived golfing notions and commit to the shot at hand. A task not easily induced in even the most experienced of players.

Mark Bourgeois

Re: The 3 Things I Learned From: Paxon Hollow
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:48:51 PM »
Kyle

Thanks for the effort. I don't understand the first two lessons!

What do you mean by "making the other longer holes play much more difficult"?

I thought what you were getting at was designing in a mix of short 4s and long 4s was highly preferable to designing them all as medium length par 4s.

And regarding the 5th par three, it sounds like what you're getting at is the decision to add a 5th par 3, instead of trying to adhere to a "standard" par 72, enables the extra yardage to be used to improve another hole.

Mark

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:04:48 PM »
Mark,

To answer your first question, I typically feel that if the golfer is not hitting driver 13-14 times during a round, that golfer is more likely to have difficulty on the holes where driver is called for. For example, the first hole where the decision to hit driver isn't in question at Paxon is the 3rd, and the next is the 11th. That's not to say one cannot hit driver in between - but it's certainly not the only or best option. At Paxon, a full third of the golf course (not including the par 3s) is dedicated to hitting a variety of different clubs off the tee. Add the par 3s into the mix, and the driver is only called for 7 times during the round (actually less as the par 5 18th gets VERY tight around 240 from the tee, making driver a risky choice). Therefore, we find the more open holes like 11 (a 450 yard, uphill par 5), 12 (a 360 yard par 4 to a perched green above the fairway) and 14 (a straightaway hole with a semi-blind tee shot, OB left and deep bunkers right) to be much more difficult.

As for the fifth par 3, it comes to a few things. As you mentioned it allows for the yardage to be placed elsewhere better suited, but it also allows for the routing to get to more severe and "interesting" portions of the property. This is particularly evident with the 17th and 4th at Paxon Hollow. As I mentioned, the 4th hole is a short, level par 3 which gets the golfer from the 3rd green to the necessary angle for the tee shot on the 5th hole.

astavrides

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 04:56:12 AM »
Fun course.  I played it for the first time a couple weeks ago.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:30:59 AM »
Kyle:

Have you met Jim Wagner of Hanse Design? He's been working on PH little by little for quiet a while.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 08:32:58 AM »
Here are pictures from the tees to help illustrate Kyle's discussion on the par 4's:

#1:

#5:

#10:

#13:

#16:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

JSPayne

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 08:46:17 AM »
Are those fairways to the bottom left and top right of the aerial of number 5? Holy Skinny Fairway! Looks less than 20 yds wide judging by the number of mower passes (fairway mower width is approx 2.5 yards).

The 5th presents a slightly longer, but more downhill example:

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »
JSP,

The curved fairways are 3 and 7, from left to right. The 5th is the hole with the line indicated 200 yards.

D_Malley

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 02:00:10 PM »
Paxon Hollow's par 3 history, which did change the course routing significantly
#8 and #15 are the only par 3's that are from the original design
#17 green was a par three played from a different direction.
the tee was somewhere near the current ladies 18T
after playing that hole golfers were required to walk up the hill 17 now plays down
#2 & #4 were both added to replace lost holes in the 1950's
#4 was somewhat squezed into its current location to the detriment of #8 which
used to have it's tee right behind #7 green making it play 200+ yards.

hope that makes sense

Kyle Harris

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
Paxon Hollow's par 3 history, which did change the course routing significantly
#8 and #15 are the only par 3's that are from the original design
#17 green was a par three played from a different direction.
the tee was somewhere near the current ladies 18T
after playing that hole golfers were required to walk up the hill 17 now plays down
#2 & #4 were both added to replace lost holes in the 1950's
#4 was somewhat squezed into its current location to the detriment of #8 which
used to have it's tee right behind #7 green making it play 200+ yards.

hope that makes sense

That makes perfect sense - I was actually just down at Paxon today (course was closed however, frown). Always nice to talk to the guys in the pro shop for a few minutes, though.

There is an aerial photograph in the pro shop of the original routing with the 2nd being a much longer par 3 playing down (and presumably blind) toward the third tee, and the 4th hole not in existence.

D_Malley

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 03:11:16 PM »
the old 2nd hole was a par 4 playing directly over the current green
it would of been a blind layup drive to a landing area and then a
pitch to a green fronted by a creek, the green was behind and to the
left of the current 3rd tee.   the old 3rd hole was a par 3 playing to a green
right behind the current 3rd tee, which would of been the 4th tee.
that old 3rd hole was replaced with the current 4th and the old 2nd hole
was shotened to it's current par 3 yardage.

not sure how that old 2nd hole played, it seems like the first layup area would
only be about a 7 iron off the tee (today anyway). 
not sure if driver was an option on that hole.

sorry i missed you out here today
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 06:26:18 PM by D_Malley »

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
Interesting thoughts Kyle!

Paxon Hollow looks like a hoot to play!

Brendan

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 03:54:07 PM »
Kyle,

Excellent thread.

I really love the common theme of all these par 4s being set on an angle in respect to the line off the tee.  Any hole with a "bite off as much as you chew" component going on is likely good....but esepcially good when its a short par 4 where visions of birdie sugar plums are dancing thru ones head.  ;)

I would call these an excellent collection of short to mid length par 4s.

D_Malley

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 10:34:44 AM »
1st green from right side and over

the way these greens were constructed has a great impact on the difficulty of many
of these short par 4's.  as you can see from pics above if you miss a green at PH, up and
down is a very difficult proposition.  which i think makes the player who can hit a long tee ball
think seriously about club selection off the tee.  is a 60 yard wedge to a back pin better than a
full 100 yrd shot? if a miss long means death.

so yes it is a challenge for the better/ longer hitting player and makes them think right from
the start of every hole.  but don't forget that for most players PH's length is just
right for their game.

i think courses where you play driver off the tee 14 times can be pretty monotanous.

D_Malley

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
over first green

D_Malley

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 10:37:07 AM »
Kyle, here is the pic from the shop

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back