News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sébastien Dhaussy

Re: bethpage black photos on usga website
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 02:25:57 PM »
would it be possible to post the photos on here... I was having trouble finding them on the website!!!

http://photos.usgamuseum.com/bethpage.aspx  ;)
"It's for everyone to choose his own path to glory - or perdition" Ben CRENSHAW

Kyle Harris

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 02:55:18 PM »
Nicholas,

But by taking the bunker out of the equation, the golfer is inviting a near impossible approach shot. That's the whole point of the design - to CHOOSE the best course of action for your game andhave that reflected in your score. Playing out to the left guarantees a bogey or worse - depending on execution, and by avoiding the hazard the golfer is essentially accepting the one stroke penalty.

By narrowing the hole, we've eliminated this choice and the hole no longer becomes a series of questions, but a series of demands.

And if a Pro has the skill to hit a high draw off a slice stance - THEN BY GOLLY HE SHOULD BE REWARDED!!! Are we forgetting that there are certain instances where a pro's skill in crafting such a difficult shot should be rewarded?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 03:00:13 PM by Kyle Harris »

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2008, 02:11:47 AM »
Nicholas Coppolo:

You can MAKE any course a "TEST."

The issue is that the Black need not be so utterly one dimensional that the architectural elements - which Mike G alluded to -- are then completely negated.

I am a big time lover of Bethpage but the Black's transformation reminds me of the transformation of Annakin / re: Star Wars fame to the dark side of The Force.

The course has been bolstered to be tough as nails with little else to highlight from a real shotmaking perspective. It's just simply one bombed tee shot followed by another -- with approach shots that have to be a zillion feet high in the air to greens that are relatively featureless.

The bones that were there when all this work got started were discarded in so many ways for a "new" presentation of the Black and the "improved" version of the course today is far afield from the one I fell in love with over 30 years ago.

Matt,
We may need to agree to disagree
Just because you grow rough and narrow fairways does not make a BB.  The test lies the routing, the elevations, the bunkering AND the maintenance practices.  Test is not a bad word to me.  There is nothing tacky about a course posing a series of demands for the greatest golfers in the world to react to/answer.  While this may not be the most creative, strategic, or thought-provoking version of our game, it is no less an important one.  And I think its great that a 15 handicapper can have those same demands/questions posed to him for 50-100 bucks.

In my opinion, asking players of any caliber, to consistently execute long accurate drives followed by towering approaches is as valid a demand as forcing players to make sense out of deep hidden bunkers, highly undulating greens, and flighting there ball through a 40 mph wind for a week...

Both kinds of challenges are exciting and intrinsic to this game we love.
Nicholas,

But by taking the bunker out of the equation, the golfer is inviting a near impossible approach shot. That's the whole point of the design - to CHOOSE the best course of action for your game andhave that reflected in your score. Playing out to the left guarantees a bogey or worse - depending on execution, and by avoiding the hazard the golfer is essentially accepting the one stroke penalty.

By narrowing the hole, we've eliminated this choice and the hole no longer becomes a series of questions, but a series of demands.

And if a Pro has the skill to hit a high draw off a slice stance - THEN BY GOLLY HE SHOULD BE REWARDED!!! Are we forgetting that there are certain instances where a pro's skill in crafting such a difficult shot should be rewarded?

Kyle,
I think if you cut fairway left, there is a lot (20 or so yards) of flat ground prior to the slopes that wouldn't require that kind of double crossing shot....which for most pros would be a 7 or 6 iron, I think over would be more likely than around. 

I feel pretty confident that no pro I've worked for would "bail out" left  if there were fairway there.  If anything it would probably result in more confident, longer, more accurate tee shots down the right side, knowing he had plenty of room left if he hooks it.

By knowing he CAN'T miss left, the pro has to execute the shot....not only that, he has to pick the right line, if he is too conservative (to far left), he'll go through with a good tee shot. 

I understand the thinking behind cutting fairway on the left from a strategic standpoint but the fact is that 99% of amatuers are going to at least bogey this hole the majority of the time even from the middle of the fairway.  And any player that's good enough to hit the high draw off  a fade lie, isn't thinking about "bailing out" because of a bunker.  I'd rather be in the bunker than in a left fairway against the trees anyway.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 10:39:09 AM »
Nicholas:

A few comments to your last post ...

The USGA, and also NY State and its handlers at BB, have created a day-to-day template in which the course, which previously had differing angles to hit into the greens, has been MORPHED into a nearly unplayable rendition of a hall of fame of horrors.

The width is no longer present, you have dense rough that only permits SW type play back into the fairways and that same formula is rigorously followed again and again and again.

Nicholas, I don't think you understand what I am saying -- BB didn't NEED man's hands to make the place EVEN longer and more demanding. The qualities of the site and what Tillinghast first envisioned have been successful for many, many years. The idea that BB had to be made even more DEMANDING is simple folly and flies in the face of sanity. Why not make the course 9,000 yards long and have fairways the width of one traffic lane on the LIE ?

Nicholas, to extend your logis even further -- a person can ski the same down hill areas that world champs will encounter when they go to the Whistler area and face the stern Blackcomb Mountains. They would be well advised to stick to the lesser hills then take on a true double diamond hill. That is the same thing that management encourages now at BB.

What's the net result?

You have people scoring no less than a minimum of 5-10 shots above their handicap with round routinely finishing in the six hour time frame.

I used to love the Black and trek their every weekend from Jersey because there was the possibility then -- LESS SO NOW -- that if solid play happened you would be rewarded for your play. Now, it's just contrived to the point of silliness.

The fairway cuts were moved to only further the demands -- witness the 5th, the 12th and 15th, which come quickly to mind.

The Black benefited immensely from having Tiger win there -- it validated the course in so many ways. If the Black is to remain a true beacon of skill it needs to avoid being seen as a monster that provides no relief no matter how well one performs. Look at what happened last year at Oakland Hills / South for the PGA. There you have a great course that was abused with careless and inane concerns to make sure no one could shoot a low score.

If late event rains did not come the net result would have been one of the worst events the PGA Championship has ever encountered. BB does not need to follow that pitiful example.

I can only trust someone with seasoned and tested expertise like Mike Davis of the USGA will see what the true potential is for BB and not continue with this blind and rather foolish approach that is going way overboard.

Nicholas, keep this in mind -- Tiger's win validated the Black -- but let's not forget the debacle that ensued when Tom Meeks failed to adjust the course accordingly (see the tees at #10 & #12 as two quick examples). BB left a fine impression with many people but how the '09 US Open is handled could determine a great many things for future such visits and overall reaction from players and non-players alike.   

Philippe Binette

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 11:02:10 AM »
A joke

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 01:44:09 PM »
The US Open is an examination of repeatability, its about answering a series of problems with the one and only right answer and being penalized for those that are wrong, it's NOT about creating and/or inventing solutions....we have other tournaments and majors for that.

Nicholas

When was this proclamation declared and by whom?

Jeepers, by looking at the pix the place doesn't interest me in the least.  Somebody must have had difficulties with perseveration when creating the bunkers.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 01:48:18 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Kyle Harris

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 02:11:34 PM »
Nicholas,

I think you may be a bit high in your estimate. When I last played there in September with Joe Bausch I hit a hook that landed in the fairway and just trickled into the rough. The ball was below my feet and no more than 5 feet from the fairway at that point. Looking down the hole, I noticed a rather high amount of Rye Grass in that neighborhood and remembered that the fairway was cut further left just a few years prior. I think a conservative estimate would put the fairway at 5-10 yards narrower. 

I certainly see your point, but I think the fairway being there still requires the player to go right - it just may not be all that apparent from the tee. I would be interested in reviewing the 2002 US Open and seeing how the hole was played, and which positions yielded the best approach shots.

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
I think I've figured out the argument....

First I have to say, I am NOT a glutton for punishment.  The Black is exhausting for me, every time I play it, but I do love it. 

I think the issue is perception, I ONLY know BB post-2002 and have enjoyed seeing the changes over the last few years.  I never had the privilege of seeing it prior to the Open and I would be the first to admit how much fun it must've been.  I think much of the passion of this debate stems from the nostalgia over a very fine, wider, and thus more strategic course  that no longer exists.  For me, however,  I only know it as it is....I think it is an excellent, demanding course....but not fun.  I just don't think all golf courses need to be fun.  I happened to enjoy PGA West.  I don't want to play it every day, but I truly enjoyed the test of it. 

Had I the experience of smiling my way around BB at point in time, I too would be appalled with the changes as now there is very little smiling, until the experience is over.  But for someone who only know this great course as it exists, I think its a really exciting and exacting challenge.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 10:59:30 PM »
Nicholas:

Good of you to say how your awarness of BB has been shaped / re: post 2002.

The course before that time frame certainly needed a conditioning boost but the overdosing of difficulty is simply a bombardment that's overkill at minimum.

BB doesn't need additional help to be a better course. The problem is that hyping up more and more length and more and more narrowness only serves to make BB one dimensional -- it had plenty more prior to this obsessed fanatic-like attention to what you see today.

There's still some time prior to the '09 event -- I trust what Mike Davis has done so well with Oakmont and Torrey Pines. Sad to say Nicholas, but more and more people will likely forget what BB was like prior to the '02 "renaissance' and see the course as just a monster. That would be a true pity because I know better from having played the place for well over 30 years.

Nicholas Coppolo

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
well said, I completely understand.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back