News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Clayman

Dreaded Rumors...Dubbs That is.
« on: September 05, 2007, 11:57:04 PM »
It has come to my attention that there may be a plan in place that would reduce Cog Hill to only two courses.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Supposedly, the Jemseck's will re-evaluate the entire property, opting to have two great venues, and sell the remaining real estate for housing.

This could be great news for the public golf scene in Chicagoland, qualitywise.

What say you?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jim Colton

Re:Dreaded Rumors...Dubbs That is.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 06:35:12 AM »
I hadn't heard those rumors, but I was thinking they might do something like this.  I think they really, really want a US Open.  The 1 & 3 courses are pretty mediocre, but they do get a lot of play.  I wonder what Joe Jemsek would think.

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:46:30 AM »
wow, hadn't heard that one
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »
Isn't all of the land owned by the Catholic church?  I know on several of their courses it was and I thought it included these.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 09:47:23 AM »
If true, that's not about hosting a US Open.  That's about only being able to make money on "upscale" public courses and not on the lower-priced ones.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »
Mike Young- The course where the Church owns the land is Pine Meadows in Mundelein.

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

PCCraig

Re: Dreaded Rumors...Dubbs That is.
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 04:37:14 PM »
Does anyone know if there has been any update on this issue?

I know the Real Estate market is in the tubes, but someone mentioned this rumor to me a couple days ago and I remembered this thread.
H.P.S.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »
If true, that's not about hosting a US Open.  That's about only being able to make money on "upscale" public courses and not on the lower-priced ones.

Tom, if true, wouldn't that be an enormous risk for the projected economy?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:17:43 PM »
Adam,
  I remember that rumor surfacing months ago, maybe in conjunction with the Western. I'll try and track something down.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »
Adam,
Here is the thread from July, around the time of our open. Rees.

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35437.0.html

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 11:38:21 AM »
Peter, Thanx for bringing this up. Smols will hopefully see it and give us a new up to date skinny.

I will hold to the opinion that a full re-evaluation of the entire property, could yield at least two top notch golf courses. Lord knows Chicago sure could use them, especially on the public side. The ground has enough movement, full of ravines and creeks, that in the correct hands, could yield huge revenue for generations to come. Selling the land for housing is so short sighted.

Jim Tang

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 11:48:16 AM »
It will be interesting to see if Cog Hills goes this route.  Other than Dubbs, the other courses are very average, as Jim Colton pointed out.  I wonder if they could make the same amount of money with only 2 courses vs. the 4 they currently have.  Revenue would go down as a result, unless they really jacked up the fees.  Of course, they would have less upkeep as well.

Chicago hasn't had ANY new public courses open up in the last 5 years or so and it would be great to get some new blood in the area. 

Norbert P

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 12:19:22 PM »
The course where the Church owns the land is Pine Meadows in Mundelein.

Adam, I lived in Mundelein for two years. Never thought I'd ever see that name here. I think I played that course if it is the public off hiway 53 (?) It was probably the third time I'd played golf in my life.  I remember being terrified on the 1st tee cuz there were these logs laying down around it and there were a dozen or so golfers sitting  there watching everybody tee off and I had almost no idea of what I was doing.  I hit a line-driver to the right edge of the fairway.  After that, I have virtually no recollection.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:29:21 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Ken Fry

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 12:46:09 PM »
While there are a few policy issues on Dubsdread I fully disagree with, the rest of Cog Hill has always been geared toward affordable, accessable golf.

If these stories are true and there is consideration of creating another $150.00 or more green fee facility, it will be a sad day for Joe Jemsek's legacy.

Ken

Mike McGuire

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 07:34:16 PM »

This makes a lot of sense. Demand for new housing is very hot right now.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 10:39:14 AM »
I was out of town and missed this post when it was reprised.  I have never heard anything about the Jemseks doing anything like this (but have an e-mail in to a couple of people who might know).  I would question whether or not it could possibly make economic sense.  They clearly make money from operating courses 1, 2 and 3, since they were willing to shut down Dubs for an entire season for the recent Rees Jones makeover.  The permanent weekend tee times on those three courses remain filled.  The last year it was open, there were open spots in the mornings at Dubs, so I disagree with the assertion that money cannot be made on non-"upscale" courses.

Slightly off topic, I was unable to play the preview round on the back nine at Dubs last fall, but reports from guys I know were very positive on the makeover.  I'm looking forward to getting back out there next Spring. . .

PCCraig

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 04:30:44 PM »
I was out of town and missed this post when it was reprised.  I have never heard anything about the Jemseks doing anything like this (but have an e-mail in to a couple of people who might know).  I would question whether or not it could possibly make economic sense.  They clearly make money from operating courses 1, 2 and 3, since they were willing to shut down Dubs for an entire season for the recent Rees Jones makeover.  The permanent weekend tee times on those three courses remain filled.  The last year it was open, there were open spots in the mornings at Dubs, so I disagree with the assertion that money cannot be made on non-"upscale" courses.

Slightly off topic, I was unable to play the preview round on the back nine at Dubs last fall, but reports from guys I know were very positive on the makeover.  I'm looking forward to getting back out there next Spring. . .

Mark-

What were some of the things you heard about the re-do? There is a site plan up on the Cog Hill website with the changes detailed...it looks great.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back