News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Re: 2008 Favorite Threads
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 11:15:15 AM »
What no love for Melvyn Morrow ?

GCA poster of the year surely ?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 11:22:05 AM »
While I have enjoyed the conventional picks, I've also very much enjoyed the research threads that have gone up.  The lost MacK courses, Cobbs Creek, the NLEs, etc, etc.  In my opinion these represent the essence of what GCA.com should be about....digging up the old and forgotten gems of yesteryear and bringing them to light.  And if restorative efforts are the fruits of these labors, all the better for the state of the game.

Good stuff guys, keep it coming!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »

I think I could second that, we've already named Melvyn and honorary Texan.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2008, 11:43:08 AM »
Well said Kalen.

When I think about which threads I keep going back to time and time again ... it's almost always those kinds of threads.

The Pasa before and after was just fantastic.  I think it spans 07 and 08.

While I have enjoyed the conventional picks, I've also very much enjoyed the research threads that have gone up.  The lost MacK courses, Cobbs Creek, the NLEs, etc, etc.  In my opinion these represent the essence of what GCA.com should be about....digging up the old and forgotten gems of yesteryear and bringing them to light.  And if restorative efforts are the fruits of these labors, all the better for the state of the game.

Good stuff guys, keep it coming!!
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Anthony Gray

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2008, 12:05:21 PM »

I think I could second that, we've already named Melvyn and honorary Texan.

Melvyn offers a great perspective. If one could only walk in his shoes he would be less misunderstood.

Anthony

John_Cullum

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 12:11:33 PM »
Until today I was unable to make a nomination, but without question, the photo essay of Mike Sweeney's carefree college days is the clear favorite
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 01:08:25 PM »
For those that enjoy little looks into back pages of British golf, you are welcome. 

Amongst the many good threads the one I enjoy the most is Art Fuller's http://delicious.com/golfclubatlas labour of love.  Its a crap job doing something like this, but it is such a great resource.  Thanks Art. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Cory Brown

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 10:52:09 PM »
Since so many have already mentioned the Pacific Dunes thread, I would like to nominate the Cal Club renovation thread.  The work that was done there looks mind blowing from the photos.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 11:15:34 PM »
I love all the 'Photo Tribute'/'Fan's Perspective' threads, with the Pac Dunes and Ballyneal writeups among the standouts.

Many thanks as well to Mr. Fuller for the consolidated Photo Tour thread, something I hope to add to over the coming months.

Rob Rigg

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 11:22:52 PM »
Obviously the Tetherow threads!  ;D

Thanks to all who participated - there are few courses that have been so polarizing this year.

Tom Yost

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 08:37:47 AM »
I kind of enjoyed following the Cobbs Creek thread.  I realize it actually started last year, but it stayed on the first page for a long time.  Even though I have never played there nor have any connection, it was interesting to observe the enthusiasm and joy of the participants as they discovered and uncovered the history of the place.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 09:48:26 AM »
Dan Moore's photo tour of Lawsonia.  Can't remember a better photo tour or one I enjoyed more.  Of course, it was a bonus that for a change it was actually a course I had played!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2008, 11:43:35 AM »
Merion. 

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2008, 11:51:32 AM »
The thread Doak started as a contest to see who could figure out where dirt had been moved on Pacific Dunes, hole by hole.  I think Matthew Hunt won.  That was great fun!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back